650 GTX or HD 7770 for HTPC

madgun

[H]ard|Gawd
My home theater PC currently has an XFX 5570 with 1 GB of 128-bit GDDR3 memory. Since I haven't followed the deinterlacing capabilities of the current generation of cards, should I be looking to upgrade?

If yes, should I look for nvidia's 650GTX or amd's HD 7770? I am asking this purely from a HD decoding & deinterlacing point of view.

The thing is that I use Power DVD's hardware based acceleration feature to get de-interlacing to work. In that case CUDA should be negated, is that a correct statement?

I am not sure how they are supporting the acceleration. Looks like they use CUDA for some of it. Most of these cards have codec engines with hardware decoding built in, that maybe the acceleration they support. If you do not have any problems then you probably do not need to upgrade. I know nvidia VP5 codec engine couldnt handle 1080p@60fps, VP6 can.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd/spec_en_US.html

Graphics Processor (GPU)
Blu-ray Disc, DVD, and TrueTheater 3D Playback

Blu-ray Disc playback: Intel G45, ATI Radeon HD 2400, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT or above
TrueTheater 3D playback: Intel G45, ATI Radeon HD 2400, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or above

Note: We strongly recommend that you update your graphics card driver to the latest version. 3D display devices are required for TrueTheater 3D playback. To support NVIDIA CUDA optimization for TrueTheater HD technology, make sure your system uses GeForce 9500 GT graphics or above. To Support AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing for TrueTheater HD technology, make sure your system uses AMD Radeon HD 4800, 5700, 5800 or 6800 series.

DVD playback: AGP or PCI Express graphic accelerator supporting DirectX 9.0 or above

Blu-ray 3D with Hardware Acceleration

Intel Graphic Media Accelerator HD (Intel Core i3/i5), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 400 series and GeForce GT 240/320/330/340, AMD Radeon HD 6000 and 6000M series with UVD 3 support

Blu-ray 3D without Hardware Acceleration

Intel G45, AMD Radeon HD2400, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT or above.

Back