650-750W PSU Suggestion

Teenyman45

2[H]4U
So I was building a "new" work computer from some old spares of mine and when I went to power on the computer after installing DDR modules 2-6, the plastic pins holding the on/off rocker switch for the psu snapped and so the switch popped out. I am not going to try to jury-rig or repair the on/off switch and have deemed the psu as dead. A little over 4 years from a basic 750W Thermaltake doesn't seem too bad.

Specs are an i7-950 going to run at about 3.5-3.6, 18GB of RAM using all 6 DIMMs, 1x Samsung Evo drive, 1x DVD drive, and my only spare video card... a GTX 580 of all things.

I want some suggestions on a cheap-ish, reliable-ish, 80+ Bronze or Silver rated unit. I may not be paying for the electricity running this computer, but there's no need to be awful about things.

P.S., Please don't bother with any references to Corsair products as I am not looking for more self-destructing hardware.

Corsair TX-750 V2, was my old power supply...awesome for the money,wasnt modular but tight voltage regulation and never a hiccup. A little more upscale would be a XFX 750 Black Edition (seasonic KM3 design) better PSU again, but for the money the TX-750 V2 is awesome

Not touching the Corsair. The XFX as a modular psu is $129.99; so it's not exactly cheap-ish.

XFX is a solid choice, a lot of their stuff is actually rebranded Seasonic. What is "cheap-ish" to you?

Probably $65-95 depending on wattage and efficiency. I'm not really sure why I would need more than 650. I put the 750 out there mainly just so people wouldn't automatically limit suggestions to 650s only.

But, this is not a gaming pc, it's a work pc so that 580 is not likely to face much in the way of load or power draw.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, I was looking at getting the Rosewill. Oddly enough, at least from Amazon, the 750w is cheaper than 650w unit.

If I do get that one, I would be buying it from Amazon for $90 + tax rather than about ten bucks less from Newegg. The egg lost my business after pulling a bait and switch on me with a pair of Samsung 840 pro 512GB drives.

Last edited:
Yeah the Capstone PSU's from Rosewill are solid units. I have the 450W powering a Titan right now testing some f@h before I sell it and it's handling it easily.

With the system you have the 650W unit would be the perfect fit, maybe even 550W seeing as the Capstone is a SuperFlower unit. You did say the 750W was cheaper over the 650 so if that's the case you'll have a solid PSU ready for anything you through at it for years to come.

Why you no like Corsair? Ive always found their products to be good quality and they have great customer service when my original H100 had an issue. and use seasonic designs in their AX lineup. So might I ask why you cut them off your list totally? Every manufacturer makes a bad part from time to time...I judge them on how they handle that part of the equation, after the fact and do they want to keep you as a customer. Seasonic make some bronze non fancy PSU's I believe as well, if its just going in a work machine. I hear Superflower makes a good psu as well (EVGA uses them) Johnny Guru, KitGuru and Hardware Secrets all do good reviews on PSU's ive found. Good luck in the search!

Why you no like Corsair? Ive always found their products to be good quality and they have great customer service when my original H100 had an issue. and use seasonic designs in their AX lineup. So might I ask why you cut them off your list totally? Every manufacturer makes a bad part from time to time...I judge them on how they handle that part of the equation, after the fact and do they want to keep you as a customer. Seasonic make some bronze non fancy PSU's I believe as well, if its just going in a work machine. I hear Superflower makes a good psu as well (EVGA uses them) Johnny Guru, KitGuru and Hardware Secrets all do good reviews on PSU's ive found. Good luck in the search!

Why no Corsiar? 87.5% failure rate. I don't need RAM that comes with holes drilled through PCB rendering it DOA and I don't need PSUs that die because a fan blade snapped and went flying inside the unit.

Why no Corsiar? 87.5% failure rate. I don't need RAM that comes with holes drilled through PCB rendering it DOA and I don't need PSUs that die because a fan blade snapped and went flying inside the unit.

Not sure where you are getting your figures from but my AX860 has been doing well with a 4.8 GHz 3970x 1.45v and a 780ti 1.35v. Been working for over 6 months now, if the failure rate is that high I would of had to RMA by now.

Corsair does overcharge, but so does Seasonic when it comes to good stuff and they usually carry 7 year warranties also. Also it's kinda good to spread out the PSU market so it isn't dominated by OEM Seasonic units. That's where SuperFlower comes in :p

Seasonic 660xp2 or the 760.

The 660 goes on sale sometimes for a great deal, usually around $80 after promo's and MIR.

A company with an 87.5% failure rate wouldnt be around for very long lol. Not sure where your numbers are coming from. And how did Corsair handle the RMA when you requested it? It sound like you have a chip on your shoulder eh?

Not sure where you are getting your figures from but my AX860 has been doing well with a 4.8 GHz 3970x 1.45v and a 780ti 1.35v. Been working for over 6 months now, if the failure rate is that high I would of had to RMA by now.

Corsair does overcharge, but so does Seasonic when it comes to good stuff and they usually carry 7 year warranties also. Also it's kinda good to spread out the PSU market so it isn't dominated by OEM Seasonic units. That's where SuperFlower comes in :p

A company with an 87.5% failure rate wouldnt be around for very long lol. Not sure where your numbers are coming from. And how did Corsair handle the RMA when you requested it? It sound like you have a chip on your shoulder eh?

My problems with Corsair were getting an AX1200 PSU that died when one its fan blades sheared off inside the unit and in getting SIX bad 12GB RAM kits in a row, one of those rma replacements for the RAM had holes physically drilled or punched through the heat sink into the PCB and, regardless, that PCB was also separately bent near the connector pins so I could not have tested it even if wanted.

See these three threads 1) http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1617846; 2) http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1649061; and 3) http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1615029

The rma process was not on par with either Intel's or Saphhire's.

The only Corsair product that was not DOA or failed in a rather spectacular manner was the rma replacement for the self-destructive AX1200. One functional product out of 8 means 7 out of 8 failures... i.e. an 87.5% failure rate.

As a post script to linked threads 1&2, just testing the Dominator kits at 1.68-1.69V did end up damaging the CPU they were tested with. I never did get properly working RAM from Corsair, but I got tired of repeatedly tearing down and rebuilding that computer and just stuck with g.skill back then.

Sounds like serious bad luck.
As for the fan, Corsair does not use their own fan of course so it was just a bum fan.
The AX is top end so I doubt it was a cheap Yate Loon sleeve bearing.
Seasonic XP platinum uses Sanyo, one of the best which is why they cost so much.
I have not had any Corsair products fail as of yet.

Memory......100% Mushkin for my past 6+ builds without any issues.

Some bad luck there, but I can see why you would not choose them.

Memory wise I don't go with Corsair because G. Skill or other brands usually have faster memory for cheaper, Adata hasn't been bad to me either for 2400 MHz.

Completely forgot to post what I bought. After Amazon raised the price on the Rosewill PSUs by about $10 I decided to try Cougar instead. Got the Cougar A-760 for 72.39 after tax. At least prime means free two day delivery.

ugh a cougar... at least your not overclocking anything for that setup all you need is at most 550W, the XFX PRO @ 59.99 would be a good choice

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back