65 inch 4k vs 32 inch full HD - 68 ppi, both

shadowj

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone,
I'd like to ask your opinions, I'm not sure about this
Ten years ago, I used an LG TV, full HD, 32 inches, as PC monitor.
Text, fonts, image clarity, wasn't crisp at all
Does it look the same with 65 inches 4k ?
The ppi are the same, for both, actually.
I ask that because, I hope, on 65 inches 4k, with exactly the same ppi, everything would look better than the LG TV, 32 inches, even if the ppi remains the same
Does the large ( and smaller ) pixel numbers improve the image quality on the 65 inches 4k vs full HD 32 inches ?
Thank you

Hello everyone,
I'd like to ask your opinions, I'm not sure about this
Ten years ago, I used an LG TV, full HD, 32 inches, as PC monitor.
Text, fonts, image clarity, wasn't crisp at all
Does it look the same with 65 inches 4k ?
The ppi are the same, for both, actually.
I ask that because, I hope, on 65 inches 4k, with exactly the same ppi, everything would look better than the LG TV, 32 inches, even if the ppi remains the same
Does the large ( and smaller ) pixel numbers improve the image quality on the 65 inches 4k vs full HD 32 inches ?
Thank you
Unfortunately, from experience, I don't think so.
My dad just got a 55 inch 4k TV to use as his primary monitor, which amounts to a DPI of 80. The DPI of my primary 1800x1350 18" monitor is 125, and text looks way crisper on it than on the 4k TV. And my display is a CRT, which aren't known for their crispness (though, that's largely because most HD CRT monitors used aperture grilles instead of shadowmasks. Apertures grilles are inherently less crisp due to a greater lack of vertical phosphor separation).
Obviously, the 3840x2160 15" screen on my laptop runs circles around both.

That said, while most desk setups put you too close to 55+ inch 4k display for text to look crisp, it is still handy for detail oriented work like photo editing. It's also nice for kicking back for casual stuff like watching videos or light scrolling-focused web browsing, if you can afford space to lean back. If you have a deep desk that can put you farther away from the TV, that's also good. I always prefer being far away from a big screen over being close to a small screen, given the choice. Just comfier

Last edited:
I thought 43" was too much on a desk. 65" would probably give me crazy neck strain and headaches.

Tanks for the reply
Right now I'm using a 55 inches 4k tv ( Q90R - Samsung )
It looks okay, I mean, text, fonts, etc
I asked about the 65 inches because I intended to go for some 8k ( 65 inches, not bigger ) with RTX 3090, but I'm afraid, performance will suck
I won't be able to achieve 20 fps with high settings.
I play 95 %, flight simulators.
VR is out of question ( yet )
If I go for 65 inches 4k, image quality is lower, doesn't matter if I use high or ultra settings
I wish I could use 2 x Samsung Q90R 55 inches with no bezels

I thought 43" was too much on a desk. 65" would probably give me crazy neck strain and headaches.
I'd lovvvee a big display. The bigger the better, so long as I have space
Tanks for the reply
Right now I'm using a 55 inches 4k tv ( Q90R - Samsung )
It looks okay, I mean, text, fonts, etc
I asked about the 65 inches because I intended to go for some 8k ( 65 inches, not bigger ) with RTX 3090, but I'm afraid, performance will suck
I won't be able to achieve 20 fps with high settings.
I play 95 %, flight simulators.
VR is out of question ( yet )
If I go for 65 inches 4k, image quality is lower, doesn't matter if I use high or ultra settings
I wish I could use 2 x Samsung Q90R 55 inches with no bezels
Ah okay. Yeah, screen real estate really helps the flight sim experience

Viewing distance matters. If you look at a 65" 4K TV, you are not going to want to sit right in front of it like you would with a 32". You want to push it further away, much further away. This makes up for it having both a large size and low amount of pixels per inch.

PPI is size independent, a 32" inch 96 PPI display will look the same as a 65" 96 PPI one viewed at the same distance. Now if with the 32" you use it normally (~1m from your eyes) and the 65" you sit double the distance from it, the same PPI will look better on the 65" since you are further away, but you will also need to have text set to bigger fonts to be able to read, etc.

Back