64gb vs 128gb ram 5900x and 3080ti gaming rig

dub77nj

Limp Gawd
My new gaming rig is a 5900x with asus rog strix 550xe and an evga 3080ti. I'm currently running with 64gb 3600 t-force vulcan. Just wondering about adding another 64gb just to be [H] and wanted some fellow H opinions. Good, bad or overkill for gaming and video watching at the same time with chrome in the background. I have no problem doing it just for fun but also want to know if there's a negative.

Buy some cool cable sleeves, better fans, or thermal paste. Or just Paypal it to me I need some cool cable sleeves lol
lol, I'm running with self built WC system. Alphacool wb on the 3080ti and an optimus on the 5900x in a 011 dynamic with similar push pull fans to yours and 2 360 radiators. My only problem is keeping the dust filters clean.

Reactions: kaneO
like this
Do you some ram caching strategy/needs that seem to payoff and could scale to become bigger ?

Otherwise hard to imagine any benefit and could see some negative (harder to run 4x32 gig stick (of 2 different kit) best timing wise instead of only 2 bought at the same time ?)

Look during your heaviest usage your ram (and compressed level but modern OS like Win10 do optimize by compressing some things even if you have still 15 gig left) I doubt you reach 40 gig ?.

Do you some ram caching strategy/needs that seem to payoff and could scale to become bigger ?

Otherwise hard to imagine any benefit and could see some negative (harder to run 4x32 gig stick (of 2 different kit) best timing wise instead of only 2 bought at the same time ?)

Look during your heaviest usage your ram (and compressed level but modern OS like Win10 do optimize by compressing some things even if you have still 15 gig left) I doubt you reach 40 gig ?.
I'm not versed in ram caching at the moment and it's benefits which is something I was thinking about when I asked the question but had no knowledge of. I'll look into it for my own understanding either way.

I'm not versed in ram caching at the moment and it's benefits which is something I was thinking about when I asked the question but had no knowledge of. I'll look into it for my own understanding either way.

Your current 64 gig is way more than sufficient to have some ram caching and see if it helps (back in the days with early ssd where read/write volume was perceived as an issue it was common to create one for your temporary drive for example), if you have good ssd drive already it could be hard to see improvement with it (and os already cache things) you can try something like :
https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/

That has a free month to see if it does anything for your usage, just watch out if you cache writing on your OS drive.

Just for fun you can even create a 20-30-40 gig ram drive and install something on it and see if it load/play any faster instead of using for cache on an drive.

Your current 64 gig is way more than sufficient to have some ram caching and see if it helps (back in the days with early ssd where read/write volume was perceived as an issue it was common to create one for your temporary drive for example), if you have good ssd drive already it could be hard to see improvement with it (and os already cache things) you can try something like :
https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/

That has a free month to see if it does anything for your usage, just watch out if you cache writing on your OS drive.

Just for fun you can even create a 20-30-40 gig ram drive and install something on it and see if it load/play any faster instead of using for cache on an drive.
Thanks for the info!

lol, I'm running with self built WC system. Alphacool wb on the 3080ti and an optimus on the 5900x in a 011 dynamic with similar push pull fans to yours and 2 360 radiators. My only problem is keeping the dust filters clean.
Pretty nice set up! I have the hybrid kit for my 3080 but have been to lazy to install lol. I've been doing pretty well with the dust filters, my PC is on my desk too(not sure if that helps). Is yours on the floor?

Not sure why you need more than 32gb. As a music producer I run a 5900x and a 3080ti and have never felt the need to upgrade.

Not sure why you need more than 32gb. As a music producer I run a 5900x and a 3080ti and have never felt the need to upgrade.

I run Einstein@home among other boinc distributed computing projects. Some of their CPU tasks use close to 1GB each, and run one/core. I'm running 32gb on my aging i7-4790k because between E@H and my browser tab addiction I can max out 16GB of ram. My next system is planned to have a future years equivalent of a 5950x (or 12900 if Intel's 2022/23 design comes out on top) and will probably have 64GB of ram (or 128GB if thread counts go up significantly) because I want around 2 GB/thread.

Last edited:
32GB of 3800c14 will perform better in games than 64\128GB 3600c18.
So if you want to spend cash for little gain then getting faster RAM is the way to go.
If you tweak a 3800c14 kit you could boost CPU performance by around 20% in some CPU bottlnecked sections of gameplay.
Then tweak your curves and add a little to the max boost and you may get close to 25% total if your lucky.

I have 64GB and I'm utilizing a fair portion of it as RAMcache and an even larger portion as dedicated RAM for hosting a minecraft server and a whole hell of a lot of actual transcoding work and I rarely ever get near 64GB used. I'd have to make up reasons to use 128GB, those Ramcache's could be a bit bigger, i suppose!

I do, however, actively use more than 32GB on the regular. Right now i'm not doing much and i'm at 34.5GB used.

I havent encountered a single situation that needs more than 16GB ram for ye normal gaming on a high end machine.
If 16GB was a problem, for sure I would be on 32GB, but its just fine.

I havent encountered a single situation that needs more than 16GB ram for ye normal gaming on a high end machine.
There are some games out there that can get pretty close to 16GB. That being said 16 is still enough but it could be close depending on your graphical settings.

There are some games out there that can get pretty close to 16GB. That being said 16 is still enough but it could be close depending on your graphical settings.
Just getting close can be an issue depending on what else you're doing on the machine. If your game the only thing running you should be OK; but if you're streaming it, have a zillion browser tabs, or etc then 16 might not be enough for you even today. For me some games approaching 16GB used is reason enough to recommend anyone building a higher end system today get 32GB now. Upgrading in the future by going from 1 to 2 dimms per channel will require adjusting your timings downward, and unless you're paying the DDR5 early adopter tax replacing 2x8 with 2x16 in a few years is probably going to be more expensive than just buying 2x16 now.

My new gaming rig is a 5900x with asus rog strix 550xe and an evga 3080ti. I'm currently running with 64gb 3600 t-force vulcan. Just wondering about adding another 64gb just to be [H] and wanted some fellow H opinions. Good, bad or overkill for gaming and video watching at the same time with chrome in the background. I have no problem doing it just for fun but also want to know if there's a negative.
actually you could do this and then get some ram cache software and turn 64GB into a level cache for your NVME. Images show after I used the cache and then in the bottom of the second picture you see the same drive originally read 7000MB now its 25000MB

Attachments

• after.jpg
    after.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 0
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    780.2 KB · Views: 0
Trouble with RAM cache is that NVMe SSD are already fast enough that for most loads the CPU is the bottleneck when decompressing files it is loading making the performance difference negligible.
So some programs will load quicker with less RAM at a faster speed and no RAM drive than with more slow RAM used as a drive.
That said there is also situations where a RAM drive can be faster.

Last edited:
Trouble with RAM cache is that NVMe SSD are already fast enough that for most loads the CPU is the bottleneck when decompressing files it is loading making the performance difference negligible.
So some programs will load quicker with less RAM at a faster speed and no RAM drive than with more slow RAM used as a drive.
That said there is also situations where a RAM drive can be faster.
The software I use sorts that out, I don't ever load anything to the ram drive itself. It sort of does a learning over time and gets rid of the least used blocks

The software I use sorts that out, I don't ever load anything to the ram drive itself. It sort of does a learning over time and gets rid of the least used blocks
Caching software is good stuff, it allows you to use less RAM for similar real world gains to a actual RAM drive so that even 32GB RAM should be sufficient but the CPU bottleneck remains.

That's mostly true, though I tend to stick 32GB in a machine if I do a build for someone. That doesn't happen often, like the last one was for my dad last Christmas. It replaced a 16GB board/proc/ram combo I gave him for Christmas back in 2013. 16GB might have seemed like overkill back in 2013, but was pretty standard in 2020 and had been for a few years. Meanwhile I don't have much trouble lagging an 8GB box just with browser tabs.

I run 64GB in my desktop because I had 32 and ran out at one point back in late 2013 or early 2014. I was working on a little hobby programming project and, well, it needed more ram than I had. Easy to do when your little project involves crunching a 30GB input file and you're trying to do it as fast as possible. I've upgraded since then, but you can't go backwards, right? I've got 16 in my laptop & file server. They don't need more than that. The laptop is jsut to have something portable and all the file server does is run Samba.

For gaming, 64Gb is total overkill unless you want to leave a big pile of stuff running in the background. You'll have to be the judge of your own pile. There are workloads that need 64, 128 or more. As for negatives there aren't any other than a waste of $ with a 5900X running DDR4-3600 unless the memory you're using doesn't play nice when using more than 2 sticks or the second set is mismatched and doesn't play nice with the first. I'm not familiar with T-Force so I don't know whose chips they use or if they switch around between manufacturers like some ram vendors do.

That's mostly true, though I tend to stick 32GB in a machine if I do a build for someone. That doesn't happen often, like the last one was for my dad last Christmas. It replaced a 16GB board/proc/ram combo I gave him for Christmas back in 2013. 16GB might have seemed like overkill back in 2013, but was pretty standard in 2020 and had been for a few years. Meanwhile I don't have much trouble lagging an 8GB box just with browser tabs.

I run 64GB in my desktop because I had 32 and ran out at one point back in late 2013 or early 2014. I was working on a little hobby programming project and, well, it needed more ram than I had. Easy to do when your little project involves crunching a 30GB input file and you're trying to do it as fast as possible. I've upgraded since then, but you can't go backwards, right? I've got 16 in my laptop & file server. They don't need more than that. The laptop is jsut to have something portable and all the file server does is run Samba.

For gaming, 64Gb is total overkill unless you want to leave a big pile of stuff running in the background. You'll have to be the judge of your own pile. There are workloads that need 64, 128 or more. As for negatives there aren't any other than a waste of $ with a 5900X running DDR4-3600 unless the memory you're using doesn't play nice when using more than 2 sticks or the second set is mismatched and doesn't play nice with the first. I'm not familiar with T-Force so I don't know whose chips they use or if they switch around between manufacturers like some ram vendors do.
Though there are use cases I think this entire thread has lost its point. OP was wondering if "insert proper pronoun here" should upgrade to 128 just because. Simple answer is no. It always has been. If they have the money then do whatever tf you want but from a practical standpoint the answer is no. Zero noticeable gains. Close this thread please.

i turned 64gb of mine into a Temp Dir for all my projects and turned off paging. everything sits in ram instead of my nvme drives, which also got there own 16gb each just to further boost and reduce read/write on them. even though its 1000% overkill and def not needed it helps to justify the $$$$ lol i can say i have a use for it.

Pointless. I have 64GB of RAM in my machine now and I've run the same memory on a 3950X, etc. The fact is, while playing games with 20 Chrome tabs open in the background and music, discord, etc. in the background I've never come close to needing more than 32GB of RAM. Other downsides besides cost includes reduced memory clocks. Those higher density memory modules don't generally clock as high as the smaller ones do. You'd be better served with two 16GB modules clocked in excess of DDR4 4000MHz with good latencies than you would with 128GB of whatever. Frankly, if you buy 128GB upgrade you are pissing money away if you don't do anything that uses it. You'll also lose performance.

Memory size does not increase a computer's speed. It literally does nothing if you can't use it.

Even 64GB is overkill. I get the impulse, I've been tempted to upgrade to 128GB just for the sake of saying I have 128GB of RAM... but it's pointless.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
unless you can utilize it effectively ie Ramdisk, Ram cache for dramless ssds, or if you derped and bought a QLC ssd you can negate the sht stain that is QLC Flash,

Even 64GB is overkill. I get the impulse, I've been tempted to upgrade to 128GB just for the sake of saying I have 128GB of RAM... but it's pointless.
My old machine 6 years ago had 128GB of Ram. Was cool bragging that I had 128GB, lol.
That reminds me of my Amiga 3000 Toaster system I had back in 1993. I had 20 megs of Ram in it and most people I told that I had 20MB of ram in my computer didn't believe me since most people back then had 4 or 8MB of ram
in their PC's.
IMG_1695.JPG

Last edited:
My first server I had setup was a old duel opteron it had 256gb of ram only thing I used it for was unpacking fitgirl games into ram then moving them lol. Games that would take hours were ready in matter of minutes.

The sweet spot for gaming PCs is only 16GB. Anything above that is overkill for gaming unless you are virtualizing and play like 10 games at a time, then 32GB and up will prove useful. Save your money. Or you are having problem saving money, send it to me, I will help you save it. But you may never see your money again.

The sweet spot for gaming PCs is only 16GB. Anything above that is overkill for gaming unless you are virtualizing and play like 10 games at a time, then 32GB and up will prove useful. Save your money. Or you are having problem saving money, send it to me, I will help you save it. But you may never see your money again.
I always go for more than I need. There are a couple games that are starting to push into the 12GB range. 16GB is the minimum I'd go for these days. Nothing wrong with going up to 32GB if you can get what you are looking for specs wise.

I always go for more than I need. There are a couple games that are starting to push into the 12GB range. 16GB is the minimum I'd go for these days. Nothing wrong with going up to 32GB if you can get what you are looking for specs wise.
Having said that, I don't blame you. I'm just a casual games player and I don't even play high FPS games, yet I use a 3090, so...it's overkill with my GPU, but it makes me feel better. Greed for power/bragging, you can call it. My memory is only 4x8GB, so nothing to brag there.

Back