64GB RAM for Ryzen

Yep I understand that. Guess I'll just have to grab a kit and see. I'm thinking best/easiest/cheapest thing to do is grab a second 16gb kit and just run the 4x8 and see how that does.

It would be interesting to see how 4 single rank dimms compare to 2 dual rank (assuming my 8 gb dimms are single rank)

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
Even with it slowing down from having 4 sticks, it's def. better in my experience to have more ram than faster ram if gaming isn't your primary objective.

Even with it slowing down from having 4 sticks, it's def. better in my experience to have more ram than faster ram if gaming isn't your primary objective.

Only if you can make use of that much physical RAM. Most gamers only need 16GB. Even doing other stuff I never used more than 24GB myself.

Only if you can make use of that much physical RAM. Most gamers only need 16GB. Even doing other stuff I never used more than 24GB myself.

Ya, but the purpose from the OP was VM host. I have easily surpassed 24Gb use pushing VM's. It's not uncommon for my image processing rig to burn 50+ on a single large photogrammetry project, especially with thermal and gas imaging overlays.

Different types of gaming have different needs...

MMO/RPG I'll go for more ram. The game may not use it all - Windows disk cache will. Makes a big difference in load times moving around the world, walking around a capitol city, etc when every single texture is cached and ready to go -- only MMO/RPG in my personal experience it doesnt seem to help much is The Secret World.

I've had 50+ GB in use from WOW, ESO and others game plus disk cache.

Different types of gaming have different needs...

MMO/RPG I'll go for more ram. The game may not use it all - Windows disk cache will. Makes a big difference in load times moving around the world, walking around a capitol city, etc when every single texture is cached and ready to go -- only MMO/RPG in my personal experience it doesnt seem to help much is The Secret World.

I've had 50+ GB in use from WOW, ESO and others game plus disk cache.

Not much impacts SWTOR load times. I know this from experience.

Back