64GB RAM for Ryzen

mda

2[H]4U
Hi All,

I'm thinking of picking up 4x16GB DDR 2966 - 3200 for a future Ryzen X570+CPU build for VM Work. I have a shipment incoming from the USA soon so I may as well pick up the RAM now maybe from Amazon, alongside some other accessories for the build that's difficult to source locally.

QVL for most of the current X470 boards don't really say much about 16GB sticks, let alone four of them. Most of what I see are 4x8GBs.

I've reading around, and one post I saw was that as long as I do 2966 mhz of memory which is officially supported, I should do okay. Is there truth to this, or is there somewhere else I should be researching? Does this mean that I can pick up some 3000-3400mhz RAM and just manually set the clocks and timing to 2966? I've heard about finding B Die RAM but I'm not too learned on that yet... off to research on that now!

Thanks!

It's not an issue of 16gb sticks - I'm running them now just fine BUT it's more an issue with running all slots filled (4x). Officially, Ryzen seems to slow down on 4 sticks. My x470 Taichi officially supports up to 2933 on 2x sticks but only 2133 on 4x sticks. That's proven to be true for me as I've had trouble getting stable at 4x16gb while totally stable at 2x16.

I decided to not bother - 32gb is more than what I need and I'm going to do another build with the other 2x 16gb sticks.

Thanks! I guess I hope Zen2 and X570 changes things then. I'll hold off on that RAM purchase for now.

Not sure how much RAM I'll be needing so far with the VM work but I'm guessing it would be a lot.

If your work needs that much ram maybe consider the x399 (or whatever they call the next gen HEDT platform / x499)???

I originally thought about it myself but figured it was more "want" than "need" in my use case and my workload benefits more from better single threaded performance than lots and lots of cores/threads.

Either way you choose to go, you will be upgrade-proof for a LONG time (GPUs not withstanding of course).

Right now, I think I can get by with 16-20GB allocated to VMs... But the option to do 64 is very appealing.

Keep in mind, 4x16gb will / does work - just slower :-D

Reactions: mda
like this
I ran 4x8GB FlareX RAM at 3200mhz and Cas14 without any issues on my 2700x. So it's really a YMMV situation.

Reactions: mda
like this
When running four high speed sticks you need to pay extra for a MB with a thicker PCB running T-Topology.

QVL for CH7 shows 4x16GB sticks at 2666c15

Last edited:
Yes your MB has T-Topology listed in it's spec and if you want to know what it is.
Buildzoid Rambling about motherboard memory layouts
Although some of the boards he says don't have T-topology say they do in there spec so...

Yes your MB has T-Topology listed in it's spec and if you want to know what it is.
Buildzoid Rambling about motherboard memory layouts
Although some of the boards he says don't have T-topology say they do in there spec so...
yea he specifically mentioned the crosshair using daisychain instead of T-Topology but he said there was big change between CH6 to CH7.

Seems ASUS doesn't advertise T Topology boards much anymore...

There's also a good chance that ram prices will continue to fall, if you plan on upgrading to Zen 2 already.

Seems that I'll wait, but will still buy from the US when the time comes. RAM prices are still 25% more expensive in my country vs amazon prices at the moment...

In the meantime, I may as well pick up a few fans... :|

I have 4x16GB TridentZ 3200 CL14 that I will test on an Asus Prime B350M-A board + 2700X this week. No idea what to expect, I've never tried 64GB before.

I have 4x16GB TridentZ 3200 CL14 that I will test on an Asus Prime B350M-A board + 2700X this week.

Using 30 minutes of Prime95 blend w/62000MB + 30 minutes (3 builds) of Linux kernel, [email protected]:
3000 works
3066 errors in Prime95
3133 errors even with 16-18-16-16-36

I would suggest 2933 or 2866 for actual usage to leave some headroom. One hour of testing is not a lot, but that should paint the general picture.

I have 4*16 running at 2933. Cant seem to push it any higher.

Kinda pot luck from what I hear based on the DIMMS and CPU.

Just to update. Got my dev box up and running. Windows 10 would boot properly with 64GB (4x16GB) of 3200C16 RAM running at 3133.

Not too bad, I think.

My box (2700X) wedged up REALLY hard, where even the reset button wouldn't revive it. That was at 2933 (4x16). I dropped down to 2666. I plan to go back to 2x16 @ 3200 anyway. It ran fine at 2933 but then a crazy hard lock after a month of compiling software.

Hi All,

I'm thinking of picking up 4x16GB DDR 2966 - 3200 for a future Ryzen X570+CPU build for VM Work. I have a shipment incoming from the USA soon so I may as well pick up the RAM now maybe from Amazon, alongside some other accessories for the build that's difficult to source locally.

QVL for most of the current X470 boards don't really say much about 16GB sticks, let alone four of them. Most of what I see are 4x8GBs.

I've reading around, and one post I saw was that as long as I do 2966 mhz of memory which is officially supported, I should do okay. Is there truth to this, or is there somewhere else I should be researching? Does this mean that I can pick up some 3000-3400mhz RAM and just manually set the clocks and timing to 2966? I've heard about finding B Die RAM but I'm not too learned on that yet... off to research on that now!

Thanks!

Buying RAM now makes no sense. The fact of the matter is we have no idea what memory compatibility is going to look like on Ryzen 2 and an X570 chipset.

Buying RAM now makes no sense. The fact of the matter is we have no idea what memory compatibility is going to look like on Ryzen 2 and an X570 chipset.

Good point.

Of course if your buying for your current system and not a future system prices are down, right?

I picked up my Ram before the 1800x was out (it was on sale big time) -- I got soooooo lucky - I didnt except compatibility to be such an issue.

No one did but it was a nightmare. Especially in the early days.

Just to update. Got my dev box up and running. Windows 10 would boot properly with 64GB (4x16GB) of 3200C16 RAM running at 3133.

Not too bad, I think.

BIOS would hang once out of every 3-4 at 3133. Moved it down to 3066 and so far, so good.

These are dual rank Hynix chips IIRC.

My Crosshair Vii Hero with 2700x and 4x 16gb 3200 sticks Maxes at 2933 Any Setting Any Voltage (Tried up to 1.5 they are B-die)...
Tried two 2700x's Same Thing... Funny thing it will run that on auto mem 1.2 volts All day long...
3700x same setup only get to 3200 finally...

My Crosshair Vii Hero with 2700x and 4x 16gb 3200 sticks Maxes at 2933 Any Setting Any Voltage (Tried up to 1.5 they are B-die)...
Tried two 2700x's Same Thing... Funny thing it will run that on auto mem 1.2 volts All day long...
3700x same setup only get to 3200 finally...

Dual rank though right? 4 dual rank dimms at 2933mhz is kind of a win in my book with memory controllers prior to Zen2.

I have a new Corsair 64GB kit on the way in, that is under NDA so I can't say much, and it was literally delivered to my door while typing this. Looking forward to testing it on both X399 and x299.

4x16Gb single rank modules that will run 3200 / 3400 tight timings :D

I have a 64GB DDR4 3000 CL15 kit I need to try on the Ryzen 3000's. It worked well on my Threadripper 2920X. I was able to get its full speed on that platform.

I have a 64GB DDR4 3000 CL15 kit I need to try on the Ryzen 3000's. It worked well on my Threadripper 2920X. I was able to get its full speed on that platform.
There is a good memory rank compatibility/speed table released by amd floating around somewhere you might find useful for reference.
IIRC 2x dual rank sticks was best way to go high capacity. E.g. 2x16Gb at this point seems to be fastest high capacity setup. Not sure on 32Gb sticks yet..

edit to add: Aorus x570 is only T-topology board on the market so far. So with that you can go hard with four sticks..

Last edited:
If your work needs that much ram maybe consider the x399 (or whatever they call the next gen HEDT platform / x499)???

I originally thought about it myself but figured it was more "want" than "need" in my use case and my workload benefits more from better single threaded performance than lots and lots of cores/threads.

Either way you choose to go, you will be upgrade-proof for a LONG time (GPUs not withstanding of course).
I have no issues running 12x8gb sticks in mine for 96gb total. I could load the other empty slots but then I would have to lower speeds. :)

There is a good memory rank compatibility/speed table released by amd floating around somewhere you might find useful for reference.
IIRC 2x dual rank sticks was best way to go high capacity. E.g. 2x16Gb at this point seems to be fastest high capacity setup. Not sure on 32Gb sticks yet..

edit to add: Aorus x570 is only T-topology board on the market so far. So with that you can go hard with four sticks..

Sorry, but that's not true. The issues running four sticks isn't just a motherboard design issue. The IMC doesn't handle it well.

Sorry, but that's not true. The issues running four sticks isn't just a motherboard design issue. The IMC doesn't handle it well.
From what I understand two dual rank sticks are much the same to the IMC as 4 single rank sticks and it is just the MB that affects this.
However 4 dual rank sticks is harder on the IMC and a better MB can only do so much.

From what I understand two dual rank sticks are much the same to the IMC as 4 single rank sticks and it is just the MB that affects this.
However 4 dual rank sticks is harder on the IMC and a better MB can only do so much.

This is only sort of the case. AMD states that you will get lower speeds running four modules, dual or single rank. So, motherboard matters, but the IMC still has limitations compared to Intel.

Last edited:
Is it not true the more ranks (aggregate) and the more dimms, the more noise and resistance on the bus, right?

More sticks on the same channel affects the sticks too, not just the IMC.

So I only bought 16GB (2x8) Gskill Sniper 3600 (Hynix C) for my 3700x/x570 aorus pro. I need more memory now so I'm wondering if anybody has done any testing on how much we can expect out of 4 dimms?

Options for me..
1. Buy another 16GB kit and run 4x8 for 32gb
2. Sell 16gb kit, buy 32GB kit and run 32GB using only 2 dimms
3. Buy a 32GB kit and run 48GB using 4 dimms (2x8, 2x16)
4. Sell 16GB kit and buy 2 32GB kits (tad more memory then I need, not sure if necessary to match channel capacities..

48GB would be the sweet spot for my needs but I'm worried about how hard it's going to hit the memory that's currently running 3600C16.

According to some above posts I may be able to expect 3200C16 if I go with 4 dimms. hopefully that doesn't tank game performance too hard since I do game on this rig.

AMD only officially supports speeds up to 2667MHz using dual ranked DIMMs. Using single ranked modules, AMD supports speeds up to 2933MHz using four DIMMs. You can potentially get more in either case, but I think it's important to keep in mind what the worst case scenario is.

Back