64Gb Playbook $149.93 BM only Office Depot

look like my local store has them, but I'm not sure its worth it even at this price.

look like my local store has them, but I'm not sure its worth it even at this price.

If you have to say this, then you've never used one. At this price, its a downright steal. I have one (64Gb) and I love it to death. I do not even own a blackberry (never have). I think it will be interesting to see how BB10 runs this (they've pretty much promised the playbook will get 10).

DAMMIT!!! Times like these I HATE being broke SHIT!

$150 for a 64GB Playbook? Psht! It CAN'T get better than this!

And to all the naysayers...go USE one...you WILL love it...QNX is easily the best mobile operating system on the market, hands down. Android or iOS ain't got SHIT on QNX for speed, reliability, and user experience. Not to mention the amazing hardware...too much to list honestly...

Damn damn damn...what do I have to sell real quick here...

If you have to say this, then you've never used one. At this price, its a downright steal. I have one (64Gb) and I love it to death. I do not even own a blackberry (never have). I think it will be interesting to see how BB10 runs this (they've pretty much promised the playbook will get 10).

maybe, but for 50 bucks more you can get a nexus 7. That gets me better support and apps. Sure I loose alot of local storage, but I can just stream across wifi.

This is a pretty good deal, when considering the storage space. The main advantage of the Playbook is that it mirrors whatever is on the screen over its HDMI port in 1080p/720p. It's a beast as a personal media center when connected to a TV. Unfortunately, it has a lack of native apps and though it will run Android apps, the experience leaves quite a bit to be desired. Don't get this if your main focus is on apps or games, but if you are looking for a media player, the screen and HDMI out will leave you very satisfied.

maybe, but for 50 bucks more you can get a nexus 7. That gets me better support and apps. Sure I loose alot of local storage, but I can just stream across wifi.

Build quality isn't even comparable. Also the Playbook, in my opinion, has more going for it as far as media playback goes.

It has INCREDIBLE speakers, especially for a tablet. Load, clear, and actually has bass. I find this VERY useful for music around the house or watching a movie with others.

The screen is VERY bright and nice.

Flash Player is baked into the browser and handles anything, including 1080p streaming.

HDMI port. HDMI port. HDMI port.

64GB storage = no reliance on Wifi or "the cloud".

Hey man, totally your choice. I know if I had a choice which I would pick without hesitation.

Plus you can load Android apps on the Playbook now and the BlackBerry App store has grown tremendously over the past few months...not on par with iOS or Android mind you, but things like games and normal apps are all available. Also with OS10 right around the corner its only going to make one of the best tablets on the market even better.

Just my opinion, but having owned a Playbook (only sold it cause I needed the money and had just recently gotten a Galaxy Note) I can say I would totally get another if I could.

Paid $300 for my 64GB and found it very worth it at that price alone.

keep going back and forth, but no skype, netflix, and a few other apps I would need are going to stop me

I would buy this, but not available online, out of stock at every Office Depot within 30 miles. Guess it is a hot deal. This would have been my first ever tablet, too. Pity, especially considering all I wanted out of a tablet was media playing and PDF viewing.

I've had the 32GB since day one (April 2011).

The hardware quality is absolutely unmatched in my opinion. Build quality's solid, the speakers are the best I've heard on any tablet device, it's quick, crisp and responsive. Software, sure, not a LOT of apps, but the web browser is fantastic. It's still why I use it. As previously mentioned, the HDMI works very well, it replaced my HTPC. If you have a bluetooth input device (keyboard/mouse), you can use it on the PlayBook and keep it by the TV if you wanted. If you have a BlackBerry phone, you can even use that to remotely control the PlayBook.

This is among other benefits, but the relative lack of apps is, IMO, the ONLY drawback of this tablet. Sure, I'm a little biased... lol

If anyone decided to jump on the Playbook, here's its rapid charger dock for only $10:
http://www.cowboom.com/deal-of-the-day.cfm (today only, you may have to refresh the page multiple times if another deal is popping up instead)

I'll say about this thing -- it's junk. It simply doens't work consistently with the PlayBook. I went through three of them. There are three tiny spring-loaded pins that push against the PlayBook's quickcharge contacts underneath. Those pins get bound up very quickly. 90% of the time, it actually drains my tablet, not charge it. :(

I'll say about this thing -- it's junk. It simply doens't work consistently with the PlayBook. I went through three of them. There are three tiny spring-loaded pins that push against the PlayBook's quickcharge contacts underneath. Those pins get bound up very quickly. 90% of the time, it actually drains my tablet, not charge it. :(

Good to know, thanks. I've never used the thing, just saw it on sale and thought it would be a good buy. Sounds like the regular old charger is the way to go, though.

btw Walmart.com has the 32gb one for 159 also, a decent price for those of us that can't get this deal. I'm about to pull the trigger on one there, if I can't find a better price soon.

Question for those that love this device: Can I use it within my home wifi to access media stored on another computer, such a playing video stored remotely via streaming? Can it do this natively, or are there at least apps that enable it? Doing this on my old Droid has been a real headache. I don't want to have to copy a TV show via slow USB across from my media server every time I want to watch something.

Last edited:

I never had a problem with mine honestly. Used it pretty constantly as well...maybe just bad luck?

i don't see the amazing, unrivaled hardware. its got a 1024 x 600 display and a 1ghz dual core cpu. that seems pretty pedestrian to me. tax would add nearly $20 to it.

Question for those that love this device: Can I use it within my home wifi to access media stored on another computer, such a playing video stored remotely via streaming? Can it do this natively, or are there at least apps that enable it? Doing this on my old Droid has been a real headache. I don't want to have to copy a TV show via slow USB across from my media server every time I want to watch something.

http://crackberry.com/stream-media-your-blackberry-playbook-orb

Worked for me!

But that says "connection to the internet" -- my playbook would be connected to my home network via wifi straight to the hardwired router. I don't want to go over the internet (streaming won't be fast enough). Seems stupid to ask and common sense says it wouldn't do this, but I had exactly the same problems streaming with my Droid. 3rd party players (and even file transfer utilities) would go online and then back onto my home network after going through my wireless provider. It was slow and unusable.

Have 1-2 in stock in 4-5 stores that are within 30 miles. Good deal, have had 3 in the past but could never get over shitty apps and no netflix support. :/ sad imo.

But that says "connection to the internet" -- my playbook would be connected to my home network via wifi straight to the hardwired router. I don't want to go over the internet (streaming won't be fast enough). Seems stupid to ask and common sense says it wouldn't do this, but I had exactly the same problems streaming with my Droid. 3rd party players (and even file transfer utilities) would go online and then back onto my home network after going through my wireless provider. It was slow and unusable.

Orb will work over your local network. It works on everything and is very flexible. It does not require an internet connection, but can easily be used with one if it is available.

Loved my playbook , tbh though the lack of apps kills it. The browser is amazing and how fluid the os is makes up a little. The lack of skype or videochat other then the native is a big downer. If it had skype and all the android apps id buy it again in a heartbeat.

in my family theres 4 playbooks and 2 rapid charger docks. none of the docks are crap as you say. in4two more. thanks for the cowboom deal

DAMMIT! I want one of these. My Android tablet is garbage. :-(
Thats how I've felt about the several I've had. No apps missing that I give a shit about

As to the chargers, I have the rapid charger dock, it is finnicky, and has low insersion force for the base....but if I take care to drop it on right, it works fine.

I also have the official blackberry keyboard and case, and it is the best case I've used on a tablet. At work we have the Zaggshield case+bluetooth keyboard combo. For those that don't know there is no trackpad available for iPad. With the playbook's official case and keyboard, it comes with a touch pad. It's small, but it is there. Both batteries last the same length, both cases are $100-$120 depending.

I bought a 16GB to try them out. Right after it got here ordered a 64GB and gave 16GB to wife. Soon, got the wife a 32GB and sold the 16.

I have and use more stuff. She takes video. Works out good.

People should try one before they knock it. It really rocks and someone said the hardware was "pretty pedestrian". Try the sound out and just look at the screen in person.

Ever see a Acer monitor compared to a LG or Sumsung?

As for the CPU, remember, OS determines the size of CPU needed. QNX does not need 4Ghz to be fast!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can argue all day about which tablet is best but the Playbook is a very nice tablet.

I forgot. One really nice feature. You have wireless access to the Playbooks files from a Windows PC.

You can then load virus killers and scanners and other tools with no risk of infection. Even a USB stick can get infected, but not a wireless PB running a different OS.

You can access it wireless from any OS.

This is nice to play your media on a work computer (on break of course ;) ) , or any computer for that matter as there is no software to install.

I bought a 16GB to try them out. Right after it got here ordered a 64GB and gave 16GB to wife. Soon, got the wife a 32GB and sold the 16.

I have and use more stuff. She takes video. Works out good.

People should try one before they knock it. It really rocks and someone said the hardware was "pretty pedestrian". Try the sound out and just look at the screen in person.

Ever see a Acer monitor compared to a LG or Sumsung?

As for the CPU, remember, OS determines the size of CPU needed. QNX does not need 4Ghz to be fast!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can argue all day about which tablet is best but the Playbook is a very nice tablet.

This. QNX on these things is insanely efficient and feels very fluid. Recent updates allow Android apps to be used that can utilize the front/rear cameras now, too.

The social stigma BlackBerry has nowadays really pisses me off because most people, even those in IT, haven't even heard of this great device. I wouldn't say it's for everyone, but I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7" form factor) and it feels like absolute junk compared to my PlayBook.

Bought another -- haters gunna hate. :D

This. QNX on these things is insanely efficient and feels very fluid. Recent updates allow Android apps to be used that can utilize the front/rear cameras now, too.

The social stigma BlackBerry has nowadays really pisses me off because most people, even those in IT, haven't even heard of this great device. I wouldn't say it's for everyone, but I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7" form factor) and it feels like absolute junk compared to my PlayBook.

Bought another -- haters gunna hate. :D

This, people just buy into iArs and iEngaget reporting on how bad RIM is doing and then they draw automatic correlations between that and the "terrible playbook!"

I can say with honesty that of the online postings I've read in the review section, nearly anyone who said they don't like it will openly admit they don't own one (at best they tried it at the store). Most people who say they gave it a day of use have come back and said 'ya know, this thing really is well thought out, and fast...and it feels quality."

Just received this email:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
BBM now has a Voice – Check it Out! We are excited to invite you to participate in the latest BlackBerry Messenger beta program, which features BBM Voice!

BBM Voice gives you the freedom to chat with your friends the way you want. Seamlessly switch from a BBM text conversation to a voice chat, and talk to your friends, virtually wherever they are in the world, for free over WiFi.

Getting started is as simple as downloading, connecting to WiFi, inviting your BBM contacts, and tap the BBM Voice icon in any BBM Chat! Sound fun? Follow the steps below to sign up!

Find the program listed under your "Eligible Programs ".
Fill out the Registration Form and Download!
Be sure to invite a friend and start chatting now! – This program is open to all Beta Zone members, so forward this invitation to your friends and have them sign up today!

Thank you for your participation in BlackBerry Beta Zone!

Sincerely,
Jessica & Lauren
BlackBerry Beta Zone Team
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
And BBM is coming to the Playbook in January.

This, people just buy into iArs and iEngaget reporting on how bad RIM is doing and then they draw automatic correlations between that and the "terrible playbook!"

I can say with honesty that of the online postings I've read in the review section, nearly anyone who said they don't like it will openly admit they don't own one (at best they tried it at the store). Most people who say they gave it a day of use have come back and said 'ya know, this thing really is well thought out, and fast...and it feels quality."

I know this is starting to evolve into a "PlayBook isn't crap like people may think" thread, but it's worth noting that pretty much no one has heard of this thing. Anyone who has ever used mine for 5 minutes instantly show praise for it. RIM did a crappy job marketing this thing on day one. And day two. And, period. That's their fault, unfortunately. We have seen RIM's evolving though. Without further going into it, BlackBerrys are now the third most used mobile device brand in the world market, recently bumping Nokia down to 4th (Samsung and Apple take the top, naturally).

Anyway, back to the PlayBook. I was waiting for over a year for the PlayBook to come out. I bought it on day one at Best Buy. It was about it and the iPad 2 (from peer pressure, friends and family trying to convince me that I wanted a 10" form factor). Had the iPad Mini been available in April 2011, I still would have gone PlayBook though. I was truly a fanboy before even having it, and so I had VERY high expectations for it. The lack of native e-mail app and such didn't affect me as much as others since I had a BlackBerry phone. Bridge never really had problems for me. And since that first day, it's only gotten better as RIM added features, and the new PlayBook 2.0 OS, and now they have integrated 4G models. It's come a long way.

Oh, yeah. I really like the Playbook and am a Betazone member. I get all of the OS updates before their official release so I expect to have BB10 beta soon, very soon.

Just received this email:
BBM now has a Voice – Check it Out! We are excited to invite you to participate in the latest BlackBerry Messenger beta program, which features BBM Voice!

BBM Voice gives you the freedom to chat with your friends the way you want. Seamlessly switch from a BBM text conversation to a voice chat, and talk to your friends, virtually wherever they are in the world, for free over WiFi.

Getting started is as simple as downloading, connecting to WiFi, inviting your BBM contacts, and tap the BBM Voice icon in any BBM Chat! Sound fun? Follow the steps below to sign up!

Find the program listed under your "Eligible Programs ".
Fill out the Registration Form and Download!
Be sure to invite a friend and start chatting now! – This program is open to all Beta Zone members, so forward this invitation to your friends and have them sign up today!

Thank you for your participation in BlackBerry Beta Zone!

Sincerely,
Jessica & Lauren
BlackBerry Beta Zone Team
And BBM is coming to the Playbook in January.

Yeah I saw that :) It's a nice way to give Skype the proverbial middle finger. Unfortunately, there's only one person who I know that actually has a BlackBerry since everyone else has iPhones or Android devices. But, she's in the UK, making this very useful since I won't have to call her using international minutes. Yay!

Yes, we need to stay on what a deal this is...but that involves information to back that up. BB totally screwed themself when they released it with no email.

What, a BB device that can't email. Yep, they rushed it to market in fear of loosing sales by not being on the shelf. That really cost them big time!

But with most problems fixed the PB is a steal at $161, which is what it comes to for me with tax.

The playbook was a beautiful device. Felt good to hold, I love the swipe to wake up feature, It had better flash support then any other tablet at the time, still has best hdmi option.

The problem is no apps.....It is like buying a hex core intel chip with 32gb of ram and having BEos installed on it.

If I could find a 16gb for under $70 I would probably still pick one up for a "bathroom/garage/disposable" type tablet.

I tried calling some extremely long range OD stores and they didn't have anything. Nothing. I tried ordering 32gb from Walmart last night. Out of stock. I checked local Walmarts within 50 miles. Out of stock. Either RIM is about to announce bankruptcy, they made one fucking hell of an awesome tablet and these prices don't remotely reflect its value, or quite possibly both.

As of this writing Amazon.com claims to have "5 left in stock" at the LOW LOW price of 232.75

Might go pick one up and just sell it on here for price paid + shipping. Lol, maybe I can make someone's day.

Back