64GB on Ryzen 1700X issues

dgingeri

2[H]4U
I'm trying to bump up my memory on my self training VM rig. It is running a Ryzen 1700X, Asus Prime X370-Pro, and a single 32GB Gskill 3000 kit (F4-3000C15D-32GVR) that is on the Prime X370-Pro compatibility list. I tried adding a second memory kit of the same brand and model number, and of course it won't boot with all the memory, even with the memory speed set as low as 1600.

I'm not gaming on it, so I don't need fast memory, but I am running 8 VMs totaling 30GB of memory usage, and I NEED more VMs for some further self training I am doing. I just need it to see all 64GB of memory, but I don't care what speed. None of my VMs use more than 2 cores, so it is very unlikely that I'll have any traffic crossing the infinity fabric.

What settings might I be able to change to get this memory to work? I remember a while back seeing someone adjust something in the bios, like an impedance setting, that got his to work, but I've been unable to find it so far.

to run all 4 sticks, you may have to set it at jedec (1018mhz) speeds and forgo anything even looking like XMP settings. You mau also need to force the command rate to 2T. Pull one of the sets out to set the memory to "auto" & adjust your command rate, put all sticks back in and fire it up.

64GB on 4 sticks means they are dual sided so it may be that having all slots populated with dual sided memory may be too much for the CPU's memory controller at overclocked (XMP) soeeds. Sorry, I know that memory wasn't cheap.

Set your UEFI to default settings. Also, be sure you have it updated to the latest firmware release.

I got it to work with help from a friend. I increased the impedance setting in the memory timings to 68.3 ohms and set the frequency to 2800. It's all up and running, and I'm now building the WSUS VM.

Back