64bit Vista even with all 32bit apps.

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
I can install 32bit or 64bit Vista but I dont have any 64bit apps. Should I install 64bit anyways or just stick with 32bit?

64-bit Windows would allow you the flexibility to use 64-bit apps in the future if you so wished.

start64.com

Find x64 equivalents or maybe the apps you are using actually have x64 versions.

There are a bunch of applications out there with 64-bit versions you wouldn't think of.

iTunes
IE
Firefox (beta)
Logitech SetPoint

Matlab is my favorite though :)

The only 64 bit replacements I could find that were useful to me were:

SmartFTP
NOD32 and Eset Smart Security

That's about it. They really need to get moving on some updates.

I see start64.com has been mentioned, it's a great site for finding 64-bit apps.

I like 64-bit 7zip, it's very fast. I have several apps I use these days that are 64-bit.

As everyone begins to switch due to RAM restrictions of 32-bit, you'll see the popularity of 64-bit apps explode within a year.

I would not recommend using a 64 bit browser quite yet. A lot of addons do not support 64 bit browser at this time (flash etc).

You might want to consider bumping up your RAM if you multitask a lot.

Here's some games that have 64bit exe. HalfLife2, Crysis and Bet On Soldier. I think maybe Quake4 too but not positive about that one.

I'd have to second that bigdogchris. Particularly, the netflix watch now program doesn't work. It works fine with the 32bit version though. Oh, and you get both when you install Vista 64.

That's probably a good rule of thumb - don't use any 64-bit programs that have plugins or extensions, because 64-bit programs and 32-bit libraries won't talk to each other, and the plugins are usually only available in 32-bit form. Not a major problem though.

You might want to consider bumping up your RAM if you multitask a lot.

I have a 4 gig kit on the way which is mainly why im considering upgrading to 64bit. My coworker is getting blue screens with AOC and his GTX280 with Vista 64. He dual boots 32bit XP and has no issues. I blame drivers for his current problems tho. His card is still new and drivers need to mature. I have an ATI 4870 now and im thinking I may have the same problem. AMD/ATI seems to be slower at getting new drivers out. They still don't even have my card in the main driver listing!

copyright I am sure its a driver issue. For example I just installed Vista 64bit and 3Dmark 06 has this weirs stutter. Crysis and COD 4 does not and runs just fine. Go figure right? Using a 4850 with the new 8.6 cat drivers.

AMD/ATI seems to be slower at getting new drivers out. They still don't even have my card in the main driver listing!

AMD is actually better about drivers than Nvidia IMHO. There's usually a new set every month. Whenever a new card comes out they don't add it to the downloads list until the next round of driver updates.

Back