64bit Cisco VPN client for Windows

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
Does anyone know a good 64bit VPN client for Windows? The official one from Cisco is very strange, the latest two releases of the client do not support 64bit but on of the releases from back in 2010 do that one is the 5.0.07.0290 release?

Are there any other 3rd party clients that you would recommend?

you need AnyConnect
They moved away from the "Cisco VPN" client and merged it into Cisco AnyConnect

AnyConnect has supported 64-bit for some time.

Ok i installed the 5.0.07.0290 release on my machine without any trouble and connected to the network i need to.

Now i should use Cisco AnyConnect? is that now the main VPN client for windows?

Thanks for the info

The AnyConnect client is the main client for everything.

Thanks for the info. I will look into this later tonight and learn AnyConnect if I am not playing BF3:D

We got a new client that has Cisco ASA's so we need to VPN into them.

Whats wrong with using the IPSec version that worked with 64-bit. Its not like they really updated anything recenly

My boss was wondering about this so i want to tell him what the deal is.

Tell him there are versions of the IPSec for 64 bit, but the best way is to move to Anyconnect, which is a seperate license plan, but Anyconnect essential licenses are cheap.

The only downside, is you can't save multiple proviles with Anyconnect

Move to anyconnect. You can put an Anyconnect Essentials license on the ASA's for cheap. You can also put on a Anyconnect for Mobile devices for cheap too. Just be warned, I've seen it happen twice now when you install the Mobile license, it turns off Anyconnect Essentials. Cisco has told us its a bug that can happen. Keep track of all your license keys, PAKs and other keys.

So what happened is, with the release of ASA 8.x, Cisco said Anyconnect would be the only support 64 bit client.

Then a year or two ago, they released a 64 bit IPSEC Client.

Anyconnect 2.x is 32/64 bit however SSL VPN only.

Anyconnect 3.x (secure mobility) is 32/64 bit and supports SSL and IPSEC natively, however requires ASA 8.3.

Ohh so you need a new license to work with the AnyConnect client and an ASA? We are not a Cisco shop and we just need top VPN in to this new client so i think the older VPN client will work fine for now.

When I go and configure Cisco devices I inform the people to use ShrewSoft VPN too its the best and its free!

The Shrew Soft VPN client works with Cisco gear. Was free back in the day when I still played router monkey. www.shrew.net

Use these alot before Cisco finally release their 64 bit client. BTW (maybe it was answered) but what odd problems? I used the 64 bit client for months and never had any issues with it

Sure you can. There's an XML file you update to save whatever you want.

You can also tie different XML files to different profiles as well with the newer versions of firmware(and it works right this time)! I had some fun playing with that for my last work project.

Shows how much time i spend on the client end of things lol. Where is said XML file located please

If your focus is mainly on the ASA side, you can also push profiles out via policy. It basically works the same either way.

For Windows (on 2.5+), it's here:

C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile

If no XML file exists, you can use the .tmpl file to create one. There's also a prfofile editor you can download from Cisco, it's just a GUI to edit the XML.

Being able to save VPN server is a must when you support a lot of customers. I was pissed when I made the move and it wasn't saving my history.

Being able to save VPN server is a must when you support a lot of customers. I was pissed when I made the move and it wasn't saving my history.

Lord this was a HUGE problem for us when I took over the ASA. It didn't save peoples history at all. When I upgraded our code to 8.4(2) and upgraded the Anyconnect software I re-did our XML files to make it save history and servers and all sorts of fun settings that weren't on before. It made our VPN experience MUCH better, even if I implemented two factor with certificates.

Didnt read through all posts. but i too for awhile searched for the 64bit version of the cisco ipsec vpn client and couldnt find one for the longest time.

I came across one. If you want it PM me.

Back