64-Core Threadripper and ultra-HEDT X599 Coming End of 2019

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by odditory, Jun 14, 2019.

1. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

Did you think AMD was done with Threadripper? Well, if that’s what you thought, I have some good news. I have confirmation that the company is preparing an absolutely monstrous 64-core/128-thread Threadripper part for launch in Q4 2019. AMD’s largest HEDT processor right now is the 2990WX which tops out at 32-cores. This is nothing to sneeze at and is already the highest core HEDT part around but because the world can’t get enough of these cores, AMD is planning to launch a 64-core variant late Q4 2019.

My source was pretty clear on the timeline and said AMD plans to introduce this before the year is over because they have something else planned for CES next year. You should start seeing motherboard leaks related to the X599 (or whatever it ends up being called) during Q4 2019 and the CPUs should be on the shelves at the very latest by January 2020; although this is a worst case scenario and the plan right now is to ship by mid-Q4 2019.

Grain of salt

upload_2019-6-14_16-45-53.png

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    DrezKill, nEo717, Red Falcon and 5 others like this.
  2. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

AMD's current flagship Threadripper processor is actually called the "2990WX", not the "W2990X".

Like veryone else, I'm wondering how much such a beat will end up costing and what the clocks will look like.

DrezKill, DejaWiz and AceGoober like this.
  3. Joust

Joust 2[H]4U

Significantly lower clocks - that much we can be sure of. Honestly, this sounds like it would be misaligned with the portion of the HEDT market looking for versatility - including competitive single-thread performance.

Disclaimer: did not read the article.

4. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

Impressive. Amd is just waiting Intel to expose their HEDT refresh so that they can lift the curtains and show even more performance, connectivity, more lanes, Good TDP thanks to 7nm fabrication.

Dont worry it will cost less then Intel as always and likewise i am concerned with the clocks as well.

5. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

What if the mainstream Amd HEDT gets a refresh of higher clocks same cores and better oc potential even less TDP because of 7nm ?

Think of that too.

6. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Hmm.

I had started considering getting a Ryzen, but Maybe I'll just wait for TR then.

I don't need those monstrous numbers of cores. I just want more PCIe lanes.

If there is a higher clocked 8-16 core TR, that's what I would likely be going for.

DrezKill and mikeo like this.
  7. CombatChrisNC

CombatChrisNC [H]ard|Gawd

I really want to just see clock for clock comparisons between the new 16 core desktop unit and the original 16 core Threadripper. Same base and boost speeds - I want to see how much of a difference the new process/node and the I/O die have made.

8. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Trying to find out exactly how much of an IPC increase Zen 2 has is precisely one of the things I'd like to do. However, I do not have a 1950X. I'd have to find one cheap before I'd get one.

DrezKill, trandoanhung1991 and N4CR like this.
  9. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

AceGoober likes this.
  10. CombatChrisNC

CombatChrisNC [H]ard|Gawd

Not to mention the effect that the cache sizes have on performance.

N4CR likes this.
  11. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

Intel will have to go MCM to even think of competing with this. However this high core count workstation market will be a low volume market. Intel may just wait it out till 2021 when they get 7nm working to even try to counter this.

AceGoober likes this.
  12. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

Finally something that can run Gentoo :b

13. zer0gravity

zer0gravity Gawd

All I heard was... Q42019 over and over!

14. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

"Now it's just getting stupid. And really, what's the point? They've gone crazy with cores (I call her Crazy Lisa) and remember that Cyberpunk will only use four to eight".
    --Intel VP

15. RanceJustice

RanceJustice [H]ardness Supreme

Now this is the kind of info I'd like to see! I really hope it is out and available by the holiday season , though I wished it would be in stores a bit earlier (ie Sept/Oct) but if they can pull off Nov/Dec arrival that would be way preferable to having to wait until Jan2020 thanks to holiday deals and purchases.

While I know there is a place for the 64c/128t previously named "WX" style Threadrippers, I am wondering what they will offer for "X" models instead, ideally with less cores (Ie somewhere between 16 and 32?) but high all-core turbo OCs. It will be interesting to see if the per core performance, clock rate, and OC ability of Threadripper will be equal or perhaps even better than the Ryzen 3950X ? Likewise, besides PCI-E 4.0 and 64 lanes, I wonder what sort of upgrades will be in X599.

mikeo likes this.
  16. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

64 cores will be a beast for most of the workloads I’m thinking of. Gotta wait for benchmarks but I have a few older dual Xeon builds that are due for replacement early 2020 that this could be a nice part for.

DrezKill, AlphaQup and Armenius like this.
  17. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Intel, desperate is not a good look.

GDI Lord and Darth Kyrie like this.
  18. Nebell

Nebell [H]ard|Gawd

• Number of cores in consideration, the clocks will be low. So it probably won't be able to run Crysis.

N4CR, Armenius, mikeo and 1 other person like this.
  19. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

Well, to be fair, Intel really hasn't gone crazy at all for quite some time. They've stagnated with the Core i series. A few little things here and there, but overall nothing mind blowing. AMD is at least trying to push the envelope a bit. I'm all for it. What's the point? At [H], there is no such thing as overkill. If there is more to be had, we'll take it. From overclocking to pencil tricks to unlock to increasing RAM timings.... what's the point? Because they can. Cyberpunk can only use 4-8? Ok. Intel used to look towards the future. They used to say "Cyberpunk can only use 4-8, but we're going to build a CPU for the NEXT games that will use more.". Games can't use more than that? Games used to not be able to use more than 2 cores... Given the physics, AI, VR, weather, environment, etc. in games, more cores will make sense. For others, more VM's on a single machine. For office use? An Intel dual or quad core will do the job just fine. But, they could also get by with a 6 year old Intel CPU and be just fine.

Intel has gone soft. Come on, Intel. Let's see you one-up them.

DrezKill likes this.
  20. drescherjm

I do say that compiling chromium on my R7 2700 gentoo based PVR / fileserver still takes ages however most other software including the kernel is pretty quick with 16 threads and the 1TB Samsung 970 MVMe drive. I hope I get as long of use out of the 2700 as I did the core2quad it replaced last week..

GDI Lord likes this.
  21. Oldmodder

Oldmodder Gawd

Too many cores :cautious: Naaaaaa :D
    For the right price in a year or 2 i will be more than happy to update my 12/24 core TR with a 32/64 core one. (y) as long as i can still put it to good use on my X399 mobo.

22. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

That's only going to be a good idea if you either need that many cores or the clocks are high enough to actually make it an upgrade for you. IPC alone isn't going to do that at the same or worse clocks.

23. cdabc123

cdabc123 2[H]4U

well my 64 core cpus are at 1.4ghz so lets see if they can beat that :p it would be nice to see some interconects so you could run 2-4 of these chips on one board 512 threads would be fun. but im not sure if that would be possible with the way amd does its many core chips

24. drescherjm

EPYC will have dual configs. TR will never get more than 1 socket, it does not make a lot sense to have such of a configuration since there already is a crazy number of threads for a workstation.

AceGoober, N4CR, Darth Kyrie and 3 others like this.
  25. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

The 3950x has a 105w tdp...

2990wx:
    Code:
    # of CPU Cores: 32
    # of Threads: 64 
    Max Boost Clock: 4.2GHz 
    Base Clock: 3GHz 
    Thermal Solution: Not included 
    Default TDP / TDP: 250W
    Somehow, I don't think clockspeed will be hurt too much by cores/tdp. Worst case, maybe a couple hundred mhz off the boost clock.

26. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

It's dependent on the platform. If the power delivery is there to run 500W+ through the socket continuously, then whatever- get your chiller ready.

But those boards have to be built with the CPU in mind, and the CPU has to be built with the boards in mind.

27. Alienslare

Alienslare Limp Gawd

Better raid support.
    Higher memory clocks.
    6-channel memory architecture (not confirm)
    10GB Lan (3rd party)

28. ryan_975

ryan_975 [H]ardForum Junkie

This would have the IO chip feeding all four ram channels to all 64-cores solving the off-die memory latency issues of the current WX chips, right?

29. IdiotInCharge

Yet to be seen, actually.

We're still waiting on tests; however, at the very least, memory access latency will be more uniform. It just may be uniformly slower. Or not!

AceGoober, Armenius and wolfofone like this.
  30. OrangeKhrush

OrangeKhrush [H]ard|Gawd

Thats a lot of cores, core blimey.

GDI Lord likes this.
  31. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/x399-threadripper-motherboard-vrm-topic/130232

And I forget which, but buildzoid recently looked at a board with a 14+2vrm iirc from GB with no doublers. Think it was an x570, though.

edit: linked rant video.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  32. cdabc123

cdabc123 2[H]4U

At 64 cores I honestly don't see the point in not having multi socket configs. Either the program is massively parallel or it is not. At this point a second cpu would come very close to doubling the performance of a single so why not let costumers make that choice. And if it is multi socket it would become a viable contender in other markets as well.

33. IdiotInCharge

They will have them- they're named 'Epyc'. :)

34. Rockenrooster

Rockenrooster Limp Gawd

You have literally just described EPYC............

DrezKill, AceGoober, GDI Lord and 2 others like this.
  35. OrangeKhrush

OrangeKhrush [H]ard|Gawd

36. drescherjm

The problem with EPYC (when used as a workstation instead of TR) is that it has a lower frequency. I assume that the TDP is more restricted and there is considerably more margin for stability.

37. IdiotInCharge

Why the hell not?

[channeling Kinky Friedman]

38. Westwood Arrakis

Westwood Arrakis Gawd

Hi. I'm stupid.

What would something like this be used for?

GDI Lord likes this.
  39. OrangeKhrush

OrangeKhrush [H]ard|Gawd

Quantum physics

GoldenTiger and GDI Lord like this.
  40. drescherjm

Scientific work / research. I can see it used in medical imaging research (which is what I do in the day job for the last 22 years).