64-Core Rome Infrared Shots

DrezKill

Gawd
dVRoZaRDNAoB83WLzYyotM-970-80.jpg

ErKEoBDjHJKgZP8ENRbVzM-650-80.jpg

More here: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-64-core-epyc-cpu-die-design-architecture-ryzen-3000

"What you see above is a clean die-shot of AMD’s 64-Core Rome CPU. This might look familiar, as it’s a shot of the same chip we had pictured in our previous coverage. Except, there is one critical difference between the shots – the above shot is not taken under ‘normal’ circumstances, but rather with the chip being lit up with infrared light – it turns out that the silicon is lightly transparent to the infrared wavelength, meaning we can look through and into the die."

"To take further shots, he also lightly sands off parts of the silicon to expose the layers below to the camera."

"The chips he obtains to do this with are engineering samples or broken chips..."

Pretty awesome stuff to see.

California gives you a lot of incentives to not live there, but unlike real garbage states like new Jersey and basically the entire Bible belt, it is very expensive to live there and yet still people choose to and the lack of any Exodus out of the state keeps driving up rent every year. So obviously there are strong reasons to do business there and live there.

California gives you a lot of incentives to not live there, but unlike real garbage states like new Jersey and basically the entire Bible belt, it is very expensive to live there and yet still people choose to and the lack of any Exodus out of the state keeps driving up rent every year. So obviously there are strong reasons to do business there and live there.

Have you ever lived in the Bible belt?

Last edited:
lived on both coasts and arizona and traveled all between. You dont need to live in a place to know it's objectively poor in substance either by action of the government or makeup of the population. In terms of the bible belt, you have most holding up the bottom of the 50 states in education. You constantly have states from the region trying to pass laws based on religious beliefs instead of practical reasoning .. then you top that off with your normal government scandals and I'm not seeing tons of redeeming values.

The point is less that california is better, and more that the rest are hardly better, and are objectively worse in many important areas. I'd be happy to stay over here in california, you can stay in whatever state you like.. that's the fun part of there being 50 states. the stupid laws and such of one can be largely ignored in day to day life in another.

by making a post like #5 ....in a thread that basicaly doesn't need more than 1 comment regarding the original article going "that looks cool" because that's about all that needs to be said about an image of a cpu.

by making a post like #5 ....in a thread that basicaly doesn't need more than 1 comment regarding the original article going "that looks cool" because that's about all that needs to be said about an image of a cpu.

So you don't have an enthusiast appreciation for the microscopic artwork that chip designers do on the side of the silicon where no transistors reside?

Last edited:
I can't even wrap my head around how they fit so many transistors on a chip. Heck, I can't wrap my head around storing gigabytes of data on a micro SD card.

I can't even wrap my head around how they fit so many transistors on a chip. Heck, I can't wrap my head around storing gigabytes of data on a micro SD card.

39 billion transistors is incredible. To me what is hardest to understand is that someone in AMD laid many of the millions out by hand, probably used super computing to figure out many of the other billions of transistors but I have a hard enough time counting to 1000 before getting bored much less having to lay out a functional 39 billion transistors.

Back