64 Bit?.....

-(Xyphox)-

Supreme [H]ardness
So since i upgrade my rig (see sig) And went to 64bit Vista Ultimate. I can not load Fallout 3 or DiRt. They both crash. I turned everything off from starting. Updated video drivers. Not sure what could causing the crashes. Both games start to load them crash out. Does anyone have any idea's on where to start trouble shooting this problem?:confused:

Everything seems to run fine for me under win 7, 32 bit or not. Except maybe NFS MW.

You said you updated drivers - but sorry I have to ask... did you update to 64bit drivers?.

its probably a video driver issue... i can play fallout 3 on vista home premium 64 bit

You have a i7 as do I.
Dirt wont run on a 4 core 8 thread cpu. 64bit.
This is known to Codemasters and the fix was to edit the config .
I found the fix at the Steam forums under Codemasters/Dirt section.
I worked for me and I have the retail edition.
Don't know about Fallout3

its probably a video driver issue... i can play fallout 3 on vista home premium 64 bit
Just updated the latest drivers last night.

You have a i7 as do I.
Dirt wont run on a 4 core 8 thread cpu. 64bit.
This is known to Codemasters and the fix was to edit the config .
I found the fix at the Steam forums under Codemasters/Dirt section.
I worked for me and I have the retail edition.
Don't know about Fallout3

Got a link i can try?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering about 64bit and games myself. When I installed Vista I did it as 32bit becuase I wasn't sure about game compatibility. When I receive my Windows 7 I was planning on going to 64bit.

So is 64 bit frowned upon if your a gamer? Even if recent games work how about games from the early 2000s? I don't expect my 80s and 90s to work but I'd at least like WindowsXP games to work without issue.

I was wondering about 64bit and games myself. When I installed Vista I did it as 32bit becuase I wasn't sure about game compatibility. When I receive my Windows 7 I was planning on going to 64bit.

So is 64 bit frowned upon if your a gamer? Even if recent games work how about games from the early 2000s? I don't expect my 80s and 90s to work but I'd at least like WindowsXP games to work without issue.

I am not sure if its a 64bit issue or what. I am going to try update drivers from evga on the motherboard. Also going to do a bios flash. Some games play fine others wont at all

You did do a fresh install of the games, after installing Win7, right? you're not trying to execute the game out of a copied directory, which was installed under a 32bit OS, are you? Just want to rule that out.

You did do a fresh install of the games, after installing Win7, right? you're not trying to execute the game out of a copied directory, which was installed under a 32bit OS, are you? Just want to rule that out.

i am not using windows 7, i am using vista ultimate 64bit

I've played Diablo2, Starcraft, Call of Duty 1, and MOHAA fine. Never had an issue with the 64bit..

Last edited:
When I first downloaded FO3 from steam I had a similar problem with it crashing at load-up. I Cant remeber how I solved it but it has been posted on these forums. Try searching in the PC Gaming section.

fallout works for me on vista ultimate x64,
it crashed quite a bit, but that's just fallout.
dirt also worked, you might have some software issues,
check your device manager, see if something isnt responding to the drivers.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802389

This is from Rawd over at the Steam forums. I followed this advice he got from Codemasters and Dirt works for me, retail. Great game. Good Luck

"I sent a mail to customer service at codemasters and they replied and fixed my problem very quickly. I am not sure if my problem is the same as you guys, but it had to do with having more than 4 CPUS.. Here is his email to me.

Thank you for submitting your recent request to Codemasters Customer Services concerning DiRT.

The game has only been tested on systems up to quad core level, however you may be able to get the game to work by doing the following...

Replace the contents of c:\program files\codemasters\DIRT\system\workerMap8Core.xml
with that of c:\program files\codemasters\DIRT\system\workerMap4Core.xml "

i did notice on my gadget for vista it thinks i have 6 cores... when i should only ave 4

cores.jpg

I dont think this is right 8 cores... how do i fix this lol

Last edited:
Back