64 bit MCE

Limp Gawd
Is there a 64 version of MCE? Will it be a future release? I'd like to try the media edition but with everyone going 64 bit, I really don't want to buy another 32 bit OS.

I've never really seen any discussion about a 64 bit MCE version. I also thinking your overestimating the impact of XP 64 right now. Not everyone is switching over to it, and it will be a few years before all drivers and apps are primarily for 64 bit, either. There's no rush to switch right now. Furthermore, if MCE 2005 does what you want it to, on hardware you own, there's no reason to hold off buying it.

Its tricky enough to get drivers for it in some cases, let alone 64bit. And a 4GB+ MCE machine isn't really a necessity. I mean I'm running it and sure I'd like it, but not worth the effort for MS right now.

the current plan i read about was to have longhorn incorporate not only a 64 bit version, but all the features of MCE.

looks like you get to wait for longhorn sorry

The problem is it was hard enough to get stable drivers for TV-Tuner boards in XP. All the codecs are 32 bit. Etc... The MCE industry as a whole needs time before they are ready. :(

Back