64-Bit Firefox Poised to Launch in the Near Future

64-bit is the right direction. Now they just need to cure the browser from the insatiable ram hunger.

What plug-ins do you run? Some are known to cause high memory consumption (Adblock Plus for one). That isn't to say some people couldn't be running into bugs that affect memory consumption in a bad way, but I think the simpler explanation is usually poorly written plug-ins.

At home I have dozens of tabs open for days on end and am sitting at ~660MB currently.

Not sure how so many of you have so many problems with FF.

You need to go back to school. mine crashes all the time based on what i can tell has something to do with Java Scripts (or something of the sort). That's one problem. not sure how this classifies as "many problems". Political Speak much?

Oh and lol with 64bit I am sure they can no leak way more than 4GB of memory should be wonderful.

You need to go back to school. mine crashes all the time based on what i can tell has something to do with Java Scripts (or something of the sort). That's one problem. not sure how this classifies as "many problems". Political Speak much?

1. Turn off hardware acceleration in Firefox. Tools menu > Options > Advanced > General > "Use hardware acceleration when available" (uncheck that box)

2. Turn off hardware acceleration in Flash. Right-click any flash object, such as a Youtube video, select "Settings...", Display tab, uncheck the "Enable hardware acceleration". Having this on by default is one of Adobe's worst decisions ever.

Or maybe you just need to learn how to run a decent machine. Whichever...

Fact remains I can run Firefox without issue.

1. Turn off hardware acceleration in Firefox. Tools menu > Options > Advanced > General > "Use hardware acceleration when available" (uncheck that box)

2. Turn off hardware acceleration in Flash. Right-click any flash object, such as a Youtube video, select "Settings...", Display tab, uncheck the "Enable hardware acceleration". Having this on by default is one of Adobe's worst decisions ever.
I don't have to do either of those things, and Firefox rarely ever crashes.

It does have an issue with slowing down over time, though. The longer the browser is left running, the slower it gets. Starts chewing through RAM and using noticeable levels of CPU time will getting laggier and laggier... and the only thing that fixes it is restarting the browser.

Or maybe you just need to learn how to run a decent machine. Whichever...

Fact remains I can run Firefox without issue.

My machines run perfectly fine. Again... its FF that has an issue. Don't be a dick. No one invited you to act like an ass.

My machines run perfectly fine. Again... its FF that has an issue. Don't be a dick. No one invited you to act like an ass.

Read what you said to me in your first post again then think about what you just now said.

Can't wait to see Firefox 64-bit graphics! Going to blow my Firefox 8-bit out of the water.
googlemaps_8bit_nes.jpg

What is the expected performance improvement between 32-bit FF and 64-bit FF? In any case, I'm sure I'll upgrade to it, not that I ever use more than 4 GB of memory for just the browser. :eek:

Pale Moon tracks Firefox's extended support release so new features and performance improvements won't make it in as quickly. It's still not a bad browser from everything I've read, but people should be made aware of that fact.

I can tell you will 100% certainty that Pale Moon 64bit streams HBOGO much better than Firefox. So, at least in this instance, Pale Moon performs better. Firefox is a choppy mess streaming some content in my anecdotal experience.

It took a whole lot of time for adopters to embrace 64-bit browser versions, but the scale has tipped enough to finally warrant 64-bit Firefox. Mozilla hasn't made the official announcement yet, but Firefox Wiki has posted documentation showing Mozilla plans to launch a 64-bit version of its browser as Firefox 37 next March.

Not sure if it's the browser's fault 64-bit isn't being embraced. IE 64-bit has been around for several years and it's not recommended because of the lack of plug-in support (Flash, etc) and it's SharePoint+Office integration is non-existent.

Well, I suppose in IE's case it IS their fault since SharePoint, Office and IE are all Microsoft.

Actually there is a 64-bit flash for IE, it even comes included with Windows, I've used 64-bit IE for years and had flash. The office stuff I don't know about, but IE does have a convenient way to run a specific web site as a 32-bit tab while the other tabs are 64-bit, if a 32-bit plug-in is required, it's all rather seamless.

Back