64 3200 bottleneck SLi?

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
I'm getting the asus sli mobo w/ 2 bfg 6800gts and 64 3200 cpu with the xp-120 cooler. if I oc to 2.4-2.5 will there be a bottleneck? What exactly will a bottleneck do in terms of detrimental gameplay(if any?) I got the less expensive cpu in hopes of upgrading to the dual cores soon. ty

depends on what you're doing. if you have sli, just kick the graphics quality up until it's a gpu bottleneck again if it turns into a cpu problem ;)

to grandmother's house we go...lol
only games based on the cpu intensive hl2 are a concern at this time. just wondering what exactly a bottleneck entails? is it just a ceiling u can't pass? as in the settings only go up to a certain point before fps drops?

a bottleneck is when one part of the system slows down the rest. kinda like when you're trying to pour soda out of a bottle. if you want it to come out as fast as possible, you cut off the bottle neck ;)

in this case, your cpu will probably be the limiting factor in your system's gaming performance. if you're gonna drop almost $1000 for 2 nice gpu's and mobo, you deserve more than a $200 cpu ;) get at least a 3500+ or a 3800+ if you can find/afford one. then the system will be more balanced.

and just as a side note, i'm amused by how much you used the word bottleneck in the first post just to ask what it means in your next post :D

I'm with spaceman on this, not that I doon't understand the concept of a bottleneck, but I want to go with the cheaper cpu for now and upgrade to a multicore proc next year. I'll spend the 1000 dollars on Video cards this year and the 1000 dollars on the proc next year. I don't mind raising the video settings high enough to stress the video cards and even out the system performance if thats what I have to do, and when you think about it, even with the proc upgrade, at those higher video settings the bottleneck will still be the video cards so really what difference does it make?

Good article, looks like the morale of the story is save your money on the processor and pony up for the Ultras.

Yeah except I got 2 BFG 6800GTs and the Asus mobo for 700 shipped so lol lol lol hehe. woot!
Oh and the article doesn't even include the 6800gt? wtf is upwith that?

agreed. for some reason i'm reminded of some young kids who have eaten too much sugar ;)

i believe you would feel similiarly if the deal was to your benefit. :p
i'm a little too happy right now. that's true but why not be?

You always have a fucking bottleneck somewhere, otherwise you would have infinite performance. All this worrying about bottlenecks on this forum is bullshit.

A SLI setup with two 6800 GTs is going to be CPU-limited almost all the time, even with an FX-55.

I think what he's trying to ask is whether or not a 3200+ is "on par" or appropriate performance-level cpu to the rest of his setup...

While it is a very subjective consideration, I'd say no, you would not be held back by a 3200+. The only point at which it would start limiting your gaming performance is when you're hitting 150 frames @ 1600x1200 @8xAA @16xAF. Maybe then a 4000+ would let you raise that cieling to perhaps 175 frames.

But like said above, if you're willing to shell out that much on a mobo/gpu(s) combo... might as well muster the cash and get an equally long cpu "e-penis".

It's like buying the escalade with the double 5000watt amps and 17inch wheels...

If I were you, I wouldn't buy 2 graphics cards... buy one ultra, a better processor from the money you saved, and upgrade with a second ultra down the line when they are cheaper and ONE ULTRA DOESN'T quite cut it for your gaming needs.

well likei said i got the asus mobo an 2 bfg 6800gts for 700 bucks. I'm not planning on playing above 1280X760 anyway b/c my dlp projector only goes that high. I think I'll be fine I was just curious. :)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

for the love of god, get a high resoloution monitor to play on!!

and as a side note, i agree with krizzle, but if you already have the stuff.. then yeah.

dude, big-screen gaming kicks ass!

Nice man, nice. Although i have NO IDEA why you would need all that power to play on a projector.

Coulda donated some of that to the tsunami victims...

CastleBravo said:
You always have a fucking bottleneck somewhere, otherwise you would have infinite performance. All this worrying about bottlenecks on this forum is bullshit.

A SLI setup with two 6800 GTs is going to be CPU-limited almost all the time, even with an FX-55.

its the same as a weakest link in a chain. sure, some people worry too much about it, and its not that prevelant, but its a real issue. Running an old Athlon XP with a 6800ultra would be kinda silly wouldn't it? Or a top of the line AMD 64 with a Geforce 3?

Yeah, its likely two high end SLI cards would be waiting on the CPU...but we wont know for sure until some more SLI setups get out there and benchies/info comes in.

HEY don't start that A64 with GeForce3 man...

11k 3dmark01, bitch.

Doom3 works like a dream!

krizzle said:
HEY don't start that A64 with GeForce3 man...

11k 3dmark01, bitch.

Doom3 works like a dream!

a dream? i guess if your dream is low res low fps, all details turned off and 75% of the screen is dark, sure!

Oh, I have a 21" Flat Sony Crt and a 19" hitachi(which I have a high def Xbox hookup with Klipsch Gmx 5.1 sys.) High def no pra. Just fun to have a BIG screen 70X70.

Back