620 x4 vs 965?

Occidio

[H]ard|Gawd
What kind of benefits would I see by upgrading from my 620 denub [email protected] to a 965 AM3 chip?
I am mostly playing with a heavily modified Skyrim. I am currently running a slim ENB setting with no loss of frames. I would like to run a higher ENB though. I have done a bunch of tweaks like changing ini settings to use all 4 cores and running pre-game system tweaks like Razor config or ATTK but I am not sure if I am really noticing that much of a difference. Game runs fine at my default 1680 resolution, I would just like to up some stuff to make it run better without loosing fps.
Trying to figure out if I just drop down a new GPU or if upgrading the CPU would help that much. I forget what something like Skyrim needs IE: more CPU vs GPU. I know Skyrim can eat through some vram if you set it up that way.

Well, you can hit 4GHZ with a C3 stepping 965.

You should check your gpu/cpu utilization while playing and use that information to see which area needs to be upgraded.

the benefit wouldnt justify the cost imo, if you are going to go all out on a cpu upgrade id go for at least a x6 (if your mobo can take one), but really id just save up for a system upgrade

Not really a question of saving up for one, it is getting it past the wife. :eek: Which x6 would this be? I mostly shop newegg and I don't see one for AM3 so I would be willing to look elsewhere.

For one thing, all Athlon (non-phenom) X4s have 0 L3 cache and in terms of gaming, this is a big no-no.

Here's some Anandtech benches of the 965 vs the 620.

The 965 actually quite a nice upgrade (staying in the AMD camp) over a 620. If you can find a Phenom II in the 60-$80 range i'd say go for it. Keep an eye on the FS/FT forum here, they pop up all the time in that price range.

here is an x6
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1724262&CatId=4432

and even if you dont have to save up to get a new system you will only be getting marginal gains

i dont know when you plan on upgrading to a new system, im just saying that instead of spending any money on your current system, which you will be handing off, put it to better use if/when you build a new one

also what mobo do you have, depending on that maybe you could upgrade to a BD/PD

For one thing, all Athlon (non-phenom) X4s have 0 L3 cache and in terms of gaming, this is a big no-no.

Here's some Anandtech benches of the 965 vs the 620.

The 965 actually quite a nice upgrade (staying in the AMD camp) over a 620. If you can find a Phenom II in the 60-$80 range i'd say go for it. Keep an eye on the FS/FT forum here, they pop up all the time in that price range.
Thanks for the link. I haven't seen that page before and it shows a nice comparison. When I was reading up on OC I saw a bunch of stuff about the cache and wished I had some, lol.

here is an x6
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1724262&CatId=4432

and even if you dont have to save up to get a new system you will only be getting marginal gains

i dont know when you plan on upgrading to a new system, im just saying that instead of spending any money on your current system, which you will be handing off, put it to better use if/when you build a new one

also what mobo do you have, depending on that maybe you could upgrade to a BD/PD
Thanks for the TD link. I need to branch out to other vendors obviously.
I have a Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD770
I have been told there are better out there but it has been a good mobo for me so far.
I used that chart to tell the comparison between the 1045 and 965 and I can really see the two more cores helping with my video rendering while be a tad slower for games. I guess I could look around for which ever is cheaper if I do intend to upgrade minimally for the moment.

I'd personally spring for the X6 if you can get one, but they command a bit of a premium over the original X4s.

I also used that board for a while, it's solid.

Just tell your wife that the extra cores on the X6 will help you get through your work on the computer faster so you can be with her sooner.:D

Last edited:
the 965 is a great chip, for the money id get the 1045/1055T for $89 ive been seeing around TigerDirect / microcenter.

Watch out, theres a Phenom II X4 840 which also lacks of an L3 cache. For gaming, those CPU's aren't very suited, their performance tends to be inconsistent.

Back