61C too high for Opty 165?

fuelvolts

[H]ard|Gawd
Folding now on both cores 100%. Chip is currently @ 2.4 w/ stock volts. I just noticed w/ everest that im @ 61-62C - too high or alright? Ambient room temp is about 78F - ambient case is about 47C

My HSF is Artic Cooling Freezer 64

EDIT: the hsf is pretty hot to the touch, so it couldn't be a contact thing - any suggestions?
EDIT 2: with the side panel off, it drops to about 58C
EDIT 3: the case is a standard ATX mid tower steel with 1 80mm intake and 1 80mm exhaust. The PSU is Thermaltake TR2 430W with 1 80mm intake and 1 80mm exhaust
EDIT 4: lowered cpu voltage to 1.3 with same OC, now at 55C with panel off
EDIT 5: added pics, un-OCd (Opty 165 now at stock 1.8) and lowered voltage to 1.3 (from 1.35) - whilst folding, I run at 49C

wtf, mate?

If your hsf is warm to the touch, there isn't much you can do ;-) you got a toaster for a processor, congrats!

Although, if you're feeling brave you could try taking off the ihs.

Bill :cool:

sounds like you got piss poor case ventilation. post pics, maybe we can give some ideas to improve it.

nst6563 said:
sounds like you got piss poor case ventilation. post pics, maybe we can give some ideas to improve it.

that's what I thought too - but I can't really afford a new case since I'm buying an engagement ring soon

It probably doesn't help that my pc is "part" of my desk - ie its raised up so that the drives are right in front of you - makes it REALLY hard to do maintenance b/c its a bitch to get it down
The PC is on when I snapped these pics (all fans moving, obviously)

EDIT: just noticed that the hsf is a little off center on the cpu- umm...ok? It was centered when I put that hsf on - does it have to be on DEAD center?

Here's the case:
dsc00056mediumem1.jpg

dsc00057mediumvg8.jpg

dsc00058mediumvp6.jpg

thanks...

More fans and controlled wiring.

edit: nm...just saw ur new post and wiring part is pretty much null.

Peter949 said:
More fans and controlled wiring.

edit: nm...just saw ur new post and wiring part is pretty much null.

See, the thing is I can't add more fans - no more mounts in this case. I don't think that the manufacturers thought a >100w CPU would ever be in this case as this case is about 4 years old

One thing you can do is rig up a 120mm fan INSIDE the case, somewhere near the middle, just to help circulate air to the back of the case. Can mount it any way you think of, zip tie to optical drive cage, whatever, just leave it hanging down so that it blows some air from front to back, help out that 80mm exhaust a bit.

I know it's just circulating the same air that's already there, but it's at least moving more air to the back (to the exhaust) than the little 80mm intake can move. Sort of a relay, 80mm blows and as the air that the intake is moving starts to slow down, the 120mm sucks it up and pushes it along again.

fuelvolts said:
Is that case that much better than the one I have now? It comes to $39.99 shipped to TX - worth $40??

Gives you more options for fans but you might try zip tieing some fans to your old case and see if that makes a difference. I only recommend the case because it was a good deal for a good case.

61C is fine, well under the operating range. Dont fret it, your CPU is working hard and your ambient temperature is pretty high.

To anyone who says different, go read the spec sheet, and also go look at the General Hardware thread of the guy who played Quake 3 on a P3 that was submerged in 130C cooking oil. Silicon can take a lot of heat before it becomes a problem.

I have an opty like that to:. 2.5GHz under good water and I get 56C (1.45V). The video card in the loop after the CPU is much cooler. I have reseated a bunch of times.

I see those nasty stampled fan grills too. If you're going to keep that case to save money (completely understand....I revamped a 10year old Inwin Full tower and now have an X2 3800+ @ 2.7Ghz in it w/2x120mm fans), first thing I'd suggest is cutting out those stamped fan grills.

That spot in the back where that 80mm fan is located looks like you could squeeze a 92mm fan in there, but you'd HAVE to cut out that stamped fan grill. Maybe even a 120mm is possible...but a VERY tight fit.

I'm guessing that since the back has that stamped fan grill, the front will have one also. Remove both and your airflow will increase greatly. Stamped fan grills = the suck. Plus they add noise due to the turbulance they create with the air coming off the fan.

nst6563 said:
I see those nasty stampled fan grills too. If you're going to keep that case to save money (completely understand....I revamped a 10year old Inwin Full tower and now have an X2 3800+ @ 2.7Ghz in it w/2x120mm fans), first thing I'd suggest is cutting out those stamped fan grills.

That spot in the back where that 80mm fan is located looks like you could squeeze a 92mm fan in there, but you'd HAVE to cut out that stamped fan grill. Maybe even a 120mm is possible...but a VERY tight fit.

I'm guessing that since the back has that stamped fan grill, the front will have one also. Remove both and your airflow will increase greatly. Stamped fan grills = the suck. Plus they add noise due to the turbulance they create with the air coming off the fan.

That's a good point - I forgot about it completely. Well, I might try to do some cutting, but alas, I don't have the right tools to cut sheet metal. What could I use that's not too expensive?

BTW - I left my window open last night and @ 1.8 and 1.3v it was loading both cores at ~46C b/c the ambient room temp from my wall thermometer was 58F - I woke up really cold b/c I sleep on top of the sheets....

Centauri said:
Where can I get that Everest app?

off topic:
Yeah, I beta tested it for lavalys for a few years, so they gave me 1 yr free updates (it costs money, unless you torrent it - but don't do that, I know a guy who works for lavalys and he has kids - please think of the children!)

I use my dremel to cut my case with. It's actually my grandfather's dremel. Made by Sears...and was one of the first rotary tools like that. I don't know how old it is...but it's pretty damned old...prolly more than 10-15years. Funny thing is I have one of the newer Dremel's with the flexible attachment and it stopped working shortly after the warranty was expired. POS...don't make 'em like they used to :p

If you know someone that has a dremel, get some of those reinforced cutting discs, they're not too bad and will cut through case metal pretty easily.

The other option is a hole saw. I don't have one...actually have never really seen one for metal...but I know other people on here use them.

I have an 80mm Vantec Tornado - That fan is too freakin loud, but do you think it would be better than that standard masscool 80mm i have in there if I 5v mod the tornado?

Is it worth the time?

It'd probly bemore worth the time to remove those little holey grills first. Those tornados are loud, but then again, you are sleeping in 58 degree room in effort to cool your computer, so you might have no problem with noise :p

meh...that vantec may be loud even on 7v...never heard one myself. As for any improvement over the masscool you have in there you'd have to just try both and see. Either way...that stamped fan grill is going to make either one rather ineffective.

I think you're temps would improve a good bit just by ditching those stamped fan grills.

Your opteron is made to without stand higher then standard temps like 65C in a hot server case 24/7. It will be fine. My X2 at 2.8 gets upto 65C at times and its still below spec. I run a 2.8ghz server and it runs 60C 24/7 for 1 year and still kicking.

Well, guys I just bit the big one. I tried cutting out the stamped grills with the tools I had (don't want to buy a ~$40 dremmel when a new case is that much). Wasn't that easy. I was going home (DFW) this weekend so I thought I just stop at Fry's.

I went to Irving (Dallas) and took a trip to Fry's to see if they had any case deals. They didn't have any cases like that Coolermaster case, but I said screw it and bought the Antec P180B. It was on sale for $100 from $150 (instant, not mail in) and I just bought it without thinking about it.

I'm still in Dallas, so when I get home to College Station (whoop!) I'm sure to have better cooling. This thing has 4 (count em!) 120mm fans and a spot for another one so I bought a stealth 120mm to bring the total to 5 120mm fans :eek:

It's only money, right? I'm gonna have some fun on Sunday night when I get home!

BTW - the fry's in Irving is freakin unbelievable - it looks like a swanky new hotel or something - absoultely gorgeous.

Thanks for all your help, guys!

Serge84 said:
Your opteron is made to without stand higher then standard temps like 65C in a hot server case 24/7. It will be fine. My X2 at 2.8 gets upto 65C at times and its still below spec. I run a 2.8ghz server and it runs 60C 24/7 for 1 year and still kicking.

Somebody mentioned that too about Opty's. Good point, I forgot about that, but - oh well..

Holy crap this case is fan-freakin-tastic! Check out these temps! A whole freakin 11C w/ OC!

405s7f9.jpg

Yea, the P180 is amazing. Its the one I'm getting for my C2D system and all those fans make me wet myself :rolleyes:

A bit late and i know it was said before but the rated temp for opterons as quoted from AMD is 70C. So you were within operating temps before, but i agree that 40 is MUCH better than 65 :D

Back