61.77 vs. 62.20 vs. 65.62 vs.

andocser

Weaksauce
I'm having some troubles with Doom3 and Quake3 and I was told that they are a result of a conflict between my VIA 4in1's and my Forceware drivers (61.77) and that a Forceware driver upgrade will solve my problems. Before I install beta drivers I was wondering what is everyone's experiences with the 62.20 and 65.62 drivers? Thanks.

i think you got bad advice. Try driver cleaner, then reinstall 61.77. You need to solve the original problem first before you go off trying beta drivers.

I am useing the Via 4 in 1's and the 61.77 and they work perfect. Make sure you get the latest 4 in 1's though.

i have the 65.62's installed on my system and they fixed an issue i was having with UT2k4 where i would sometimes get a corrupt screen if i was using 1600x1200 at anything over 60Hz.

the 65.62's fixed it right up.

andocser said:
I'm having some troubles with Doom3 and Quake3 and I was told that they are a result of a conflict between my VIA 4in1's and my Forceware drivers (61.77) and that a Forceware driver upgrade will solve my problems. Before I install beta drivers I was wondering what is everyone's experiences with the 62.20 and 65.62 drivers? Thanks.

Some chipsets MIne in particular has to have the 62.20 or 65.xx drivers for Opengl games to change resolutions and not lock up on exit.. I have tried every 4in1 under the sun but nothing fixed it untill I went to 62.20... I am running a 6800GT and a KT400 Chipset.

G

Throw away your via board and get an Intel or Nvidia mobo! :)

I hated dealing with the via 4-in-1's back in the day
when I had a Via Apollo Pro 133A, I think.

I know they've improved greatly since back then, but I had multiple problems.

Now if Intel would just make an AMD64 mobo.... LOL!!

I have a question about the Via 4 in 1's, is there a spot with a more updated version than the ones at Viaarena? They seem somewhat outdated.

I was also having the OpenGL hang when changing resolution or exiting game problem with the 61.77 drivers. I was going to just wait for the next official drivers but I decided try the 65.62s from Guru3D last night. I uninstalled the 61.77s and installed the 65.62s and Coolbits1. They are working great. I am getting an extra 4 or 5FPS in Doom 3 Demo1 and Unreal Tournament is running faster as well. Far Cry was also as smooth and beautiful as ever. I didn't notice any problems during a couple runs of 3DMark2003 other that a 300 point drop in score, but who cares about that. My temp when stress testing with that real time lighting demo also seemed a little lower. Give them a try.

I am useing the Via 4 in 1's and the 61.77 and they work perfect. Make sure you get the latest 4 in 1's though.

I am using the latest 4in1s. Perhaps it has more to do with the chipset (VIA KT600) than the dirvers themselves?

Throw away your via board and get an Intel or Nvidia mobo!

If only that was an option for me right now..... :p

i think you got bad advice. Try driver cleaner, then reinstall 61.77.

Tried, but no luck. I agree totally that I need to fix the orriginal problem before I start messing with beta drivers, and that's what I'm going to try to do right now. I'm going to keep playing with this for a little while longer and I'll post back and share my experiences. Thanks to everyone who responded.

You listed 2 OpenGL games. What problem are you having?

If you think it's a chipset compatability problem, save the lines below this paragraph as agppage.reg and double click it to enable the AGP setting page. I hate coolbits 2.0, so I don't recommend installing the whole thing.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"NvCplEnableAGPSettingsPage"=dword:00000001

chrisf6969 said:
Throw away your via board and get an Intel or Nvidia mobo! :)

I hated dealing with the via 4-in-1's back in the day
when I had a Via Apollo Pro 133A, I think.

I know they've improved greatly since back then, but I had multiple problems.

Now if Intel would just make an AMD64 mobo.... LOL!!

1) Don't be an ass. The day Nvidia writes open-source Linux drivers is the day I get an NForce Athlon64 board. Besides, Intel has released their fair share of defective mobos... they just recently recalled all of their Nocona boards... Besides, I've hosed a good number of machines after installing IAA.

2) How would Intel create a motherboard for an instruction set? Do you mean Athlon64?

You listed 2 OpenGL games. What problem are you having?

Quake 3 - When I start the game if I change any setting in the system settings menu (resolution, color depth, texture quality, anything at all) and I clock apply, the game locks up and I need to kill it via the task manager.

Doom 3 - Loads and plays great and everything works fine until I try to exit. When I click "Exit Game" the game spikes to 100% CPU usage for a few seconds then goes down to idle and hard locks. Again, I need to kill it via the task manager.

Do any D3D games lock up or have you tried running DXDIAG? The registry script I gave you above will let you disable AGP features.

Thanks everyone who posted.

I solved the problem by uninstalling my 61.77s, running driver cleaner, and installing the 65.62s. Also netted me a descent performance gain.

I read this thread and i wiped out my dent. the newest one on nvidia page .. installed the newest beta and newest beta 4n1 and coolbits huge difference all my problems seem to be fixed so worked good for me

So after a little bit more playing I find that these 65.62s are just as stable for me as nvidia's latest non-beta drivers and they're a bit faster, too. Looks like I'll keep em.

Back