60Hz or 120Hz for PC gaming ?

Vesqwi

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I'm sure this question was posted before (no doubt about it), but I haven't found any recent threads on the subject.

I'm building a brand new rig (below) and I now need to pick a good monitor for it. I would first need to know if I'm looking for a 60Hz or 120Hz display.
The rig will be gaming only dedicated.

CPU: i7 2600K
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7970 CF
Hard Drive: SSD SATA3 160GB
Pw supply: Corsair HX1050
Memory: 8 GB (2x4) DDR3 1600 MHz
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3

120Hz

the actual resolution you want at "minimum" 1920x1080 if not much higher, think 2560x1440 or so, mostly to let the 7970s actually show you what they are capable of.

Generally speaking, 60Hz limits you to 60FPS(Viewable) anything above this does pretty much nothing, a 120Hz however will allow the cards to hit 120FPS(Viewable) this translates into much smoother play 9/10 and lets you get the most out of your hardware, the 120Hz does take a little to get used to, most folks say its "weird" but once you get used to it 60Hz almost seems sluggish in comparison.

Hahaha yeah... especially if you're going to be playing FPS games. It really depends on what types of games you're going to be playing exactly..

Asus makes some very good monitors, Samsung as usual, and ACER actually makes some excellent monitors, exact models, not really, but if you can swing it, 23.6inch I believe the ASUS various models with 5ms latency are great monitors, ACER and Samung both have models that do 2ms latency.

Such as
Acer Gamers GD235HZbid
Asus VG236H
BenQ XL2420T LED Monitor

Prefered sizes at least form my understanding for "monitors" are 22.5(23inch) 24inch/25 inch 27 inch and 32 inch, for best performance for modern games/gpus 1680x1050, 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 or x1600. For your gpu 1680x1050 would not be worthwhile(tons of performance) 1920x1080 is lowest I would go honestly, obviously this can be cheap or $$$$$ depending on how you go.

My buddy uses 3 ASUS 120Hz models(forget which though they are Nvida 3d vision cert.) and he loves them, says the colors/responce/contrast are very awesome.

this is monitor with some more info that Burnt just posted, seems pricey to me, but hey to each thier own
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001474

Also for mounting, if its for wall mount type deal, you could always get lag bolts, cut 2 blocks of wood in a V shape pointing down on back of monitor V pointing up on the wall, and slide the monitor into thhis "hook" works good, and if you do it right, you can eaily tilt/pan whatever you need :) (seen this someone do this somewhere, I though it was a real cool idea, and very low cost to do as well)

Asus makes some very good monitors, Samsung as usual, and ACER actually makes some excellent monitors, exact models, not really, but if you can swing it, 23.6inch I believe the ASUS various models with 5ms latency are great monitors, ACER and Samung both have models that do 2ms latency.

Such as
Acer Gamers GD235HZbid
Asus VG236H
BenQ XL2420T LED Monitor

Prefered sizes at least form my understanding for "monitors" are 22.5(23inch) 24inch/25 inch 27 inch and 32 inch, for best performance for modern games/gpus 1680x1050, 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 or x1600. For your gpu 1680x1050 would not be worthwhile(tons of performance) 1920x1080 is lowest I would go honestly, obviously this can be cheap or $$$$$ depending on how you go.

My buddy uses 3 ASUS 120Hz models(forget which though they are Nvida 3d vision cert.) and he loves them, says the colors/responce/contrast are very awesome.

Thanks Dragon,

- Acer Gamers GD235HZbid : Just hate the "blingy" Orange base frame. (I could always paint it black..)
- Asus VG236H: out of budget
- BenQ XL2420T (24'' is a bit too big for me.. also still too pricey..

I'm not saying that I don't want to invest on my monitor at all. I know I have a very great build ahead (rig), but I don't want to invest more than I need on a monitor. I also know that I will go single monitor, hence that would be smart emphase on getting a good one, actually I do want a great monitor, but my needs are very specific and there a lot of features I don't need that have to be considered.

-won't use 3d (however I still want 120Hz)
-no need for speaker/extra usb/hdmi/webcam or any other %*/! added features.
-I heard that TN panel is great for game, so no need to pay for VA or IPS
-I'd like Glossy (when I play a game, it's rarey daytime and even less behind a Football stadium spotlight

Other than that, I must reply on your technical and market knowledge to help me find the right monitor.

BTW. I'm french so please forgive my "weirdy english"
And I really appreciate all your help guys

Get this monitor.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S27A750D-27-Inch-Class-Monitor/dp/B0059031XE

I would own one by now if it had VESA mounts.

out of budget

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
btw.. newegg.com/.ca don't seems to stuck many monitor ? their selection is very small..

regarding these 120hz displays...

I assume you must use DVI-D to achieve.. ( HDMI doesnt go past 60..right? )

And the 120Hz is set in the display driver..meaning the output signal is 120Hz.. the Display doesnt increase the frequency itself?

I ask.. because I was also thinking about a 32" TV.. some are 120hz..but they are the eones that do the frequency conversion onboard the set..

Thanks kickass, nice one there... will look at it.

But now I face a new dilema:
60Hz IPS vs 120Hz Tn

ummm HDMI to my knowledge can do the 120Hz without issue, however a TV in the other hand, needs to "scale" the frames as TV does not display at 120Hz, I believe it was 28hz and movies was 32 or something like that, blu-ray is a bit higher, but generally 120Hz for the most part looks real smooth no matter what you are watching :p

DVI-D, HDMI, DP all can easily do 120Hz+, afterall they are just displaying what is coming down the line, it is beneficial to get a tv or monitor that does 120Hz natively though, as there are still some that "OC" or emulate the 120Hz.

As far as OP.
120Hz no matter if you do 3d or not is very usefull, I know the ones that do 3d are fine as you know 99% that they are a true 120Hz or I do not believe Nvidia would have certified them.

As for glossy panels, I have one matte and one glossy, I find the matte finish is way better, it doesnt show fingerprints as much, you dont get near as much glare, and simply the colors/contrast are overall better(but this probably depends on monitor more then anything)

TN panels are the lowest cost, generally crapiest version of monitors we use right now, IPS are much prefered for thier colors, contrast, viewing angles etc, they are "better" but TN are just fine for most of us :)

Also in regards to the screen size, most 24inch are actually 23.6 inch screen size, I got a Samsung P2570HD its classed as a 25inch but is actually a 24.6 viewable screen

Asus VG236HE
or for a 1680x1050 120Hz Viewsonic VX2268WM.

you could also go 1680x1050 120Hz, but you really would not be getting the best of your 7970s, it would still work though, but you honestly would be better with a 24inch or so for screen size and 1920x1080 or higher(1080P) to use your gpus performance to its best advantage. Simply put, yes its going to be pricey, but then again, you shouldnt want to not use those pricey gpus to thier best advantage.

And do keep in mind, there is not that many that ship without HDMI, speakers,3d and such that are 120Hz, they only make so many choices, the price seems to be $200-$400 for 22-25inch screen size 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 resolution.

You could also go to acer directly to see what they have, or DELL for that matter :)

60Hz is fine, but honestlly, the 120Hz is a hell of alot better for gaming, its so much smoother, especially if you have graphics cards that can feed it well.

Back