$600 conundrum, 1080ti vs 3060

For $600 what is the better buy: 3060 or 1080Ti

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • 1080Ti

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Wait 1+ years for prices to drop

Votes: 24 35.3%

• Total voters
Yeah, not sure... I haven't seen a "deal" on a graphics card now for 6 months. Retailers have categorically priced their cards according to the market at this point, which is 20-40% above MSRP (now actually meaning as "Marketing Suggested Retail Price") depending on the model. The closest are the FE versions which you can find if you are prepared to set up alerts and jump at a gnat's whisker before scalpers get in.

Have you been reading posts in the buying/selling section?
I've offered new videocards for $10 under it's MSRP twice within the past 6 months.

Have you been reading posts in the buying/selling section?
I've offered new videocards for $10 under it's MSRP twice within the past 6 months.
Good on you, and good to whomever picked those up, but I hardly think two cards in [H] FS/T in the past six months qualifies as deals being available in the market :) And I certainly wouldn't qualify $10 under MSRP for a used card as a "deal" ... well, maybe in this market.

Good on you, and good to whomever picked those up, but I hardly think two cards in [H] FS/T in the past six months qualifies as deals being available in the market :) And I certainly wouldn't qualify $10 under MSRP for a used card as a "deal" ... well, maybe in this market.

Uhh. They were new cards, not used. How many dollars under MSRP would they need to be for you to consider them a deal?

GTX 1080ti. The 3060 is a turd.

Uhh. They were new cards, not used. How many dollars under MSRP would they need to be for you to consider them a deal?

I think they're expecting $600 3070's or something. A price that hasn't been relevant for about a year. I guess you could always try to fight for a GPU at bestbuy or on evga's bstock drops. This seller also has several thousand available at only $490.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...&terminal_id=6d9a731ba6c64fc2b3250b7d08102b3b

I let my daughter sale the used cards on Facebook Martket local , she said they sold the MSI 770GTX 4Gb price at $75 with in a day .. and I think $125 was what the 290x sold for.. I told them to hang on to the RX570 for now as it has a broken fan blade and one missing as it fell from a shelf but still runs great till I can find some replacements ..

I let my daughter sale the used cards on Facebook Martket local , she said they sold the MSI 770GTX 4Gb price at $75 with in a day .. and I think $125 was what the 290x sold for.. I told them to hang on to the RX570 for now as it has a broken fan blade and one missing as it fell from a shelf but still runs great till I can find some replacements ..

Take the fan off and ziptie a 120mm fan to it. Problem solved.

Wish i would have bought a 1080ti years ago for $500 but got a 1070ti for $275 instead. Would be sitting pretty through these shortages and not have a itch to upgrade.

Deals? what deals and what are you smoking.. please pass the joint dude 🤣

Keeping an eye out an being quick on the draw can really help with this.

I just bought an AMD reference 6800XT WITH the EK water block and backplate attached from a gentleman here on the [H] forums a couple of weeks ago for $1080 shipped. He said it was un-mined and largely sitting idle in a system that gets used mostly as a server so he just decided to pass it on to someone who'd actually use it. It came with the original retail box, the unused air cooler, and even the custom 'R'adeon keycap those cards sell with. As heavy as the coolers are, and as large as the box it all came in had to be, shipping with insurance probably cost this guy a miniature fortune. Breaking down the costs, that is super close to retail - and with the shipping he likely didn't make much (if even any) money from the sale. I hooked it up and tested the shit out of it and it works great. I had a Radeon VII so I didn't need it per se, but I really wanted a card that could run more smoothly at 4K and had at least some Ray Tracing support so I could check that out myself. I waited and then stumbled on to this. And the 6800XT runs rings around the Radeon VII it replaced!

Moral: Even now, deals happen if you keep an eye out.

Back