6 pin to 4 pin adapter : Utilizing dual 12V bus

crlanglois

n00b
I've been having problems with my computer lately when running anything graphics intensive where the computer reboots.

To solve this I figured I'd pick up a new power supply with a dual 12V rail and isolate my graphics card however the one I purchased "Enermax Noisetaker 600W EG701-AX-VE" provides me with a 6 pin connector for PCI-X graphics cards but my VisionTek Radeon X800 Pro AGP uses a 4 pin molex external connector and with this power supply I get the same problem running my card off the standard 4 pin.

Basically my question is, does anyone know where to find a 6 pin molex to 4 pin molex converter to allow me to use the isolated 12V rail feature on this power supply to power my 4 pin molex graphics card? I've searched and found LOTS of adapters to go from a 4 pin to a 6 pin to allow newer cards to work with older power supplies but never vice versa.

Thanks.

[email protected]

Same question, I would like one too. I've googled "pci-e to molex converter" and have had little success.

Tried googling for "6 pin to 4 pin molex adapter" and several variations of it and have found nothing.

Hrm, I was thinking that if we knew the pin-outs of that 6-pin power, we could buy some molex ends and do it ourselves...

I'll look for the pinouts and some ends.

True, the only thing is that as far as I know the female end for the 6 pin molex is only found on the video card itself so I have no idea who would carry these.

I think what I'll end up doing for now is either cutting off this 6 pin connector and wiring up my own 4 pin molex or if I can find a 6 pin female to make an adapter doing that.

Here's what I found so far:

Mod kit with ends, no 6 pin female but it would allow me to repin that 6 pin end down to a 4:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=2356&osCsid=da851a2aea88c211e9d9646e4b097ec5

And here's a 6 pin Y connector which is so far the only place I've seen a female end for a 6 pin besides on the graphics cards themselves:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=2664&osCsid=da851a2aea88c211e9d9646e4b097ec5

Bump.
Got the same problem here. My computer runs though. Just want to make use of second 12V rail.

holy freaking quadruple posting to the 4th power crlanglois.

you could just...i dunno...use the 4 pin on the psu instead of using the pci express?

the 6 pin has its own rail that is the point of dual 12v rails, so i ordered this with the intention of having my graphics card on a seperate rail, just as crlanglois did. In the specs and pics it says it has one for a 4 pin, but it does'nt.

Back