Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Step up to 280

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • Wait for something better down the road

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters

Light1984

Gawd
What do you guys/gals think I should do? Are either the gtx 260 216 core or the gtx 280 really worth upgrading to? My guess is that there would probably be no difference that I would actually feel in games. I game at 16x10 and mostly fps or racing, some flight sim. Whats the verdict?

If you plan on getting a 24-26" monitor in the near future then go for the GTX 280. If not, wait for next gen hardware.

Sig says he has a 260, at 16x10 i would just hold out until the next gen.

And spend some money on cooling to overclock that AMD :p

Coming from an 8800GT owner, there's no point for a 260 Owner to step up to anything in 2008. 2009 will be the time to upgrade your card.

if the op paid the full price three months ago for the 192sp gtx 260(~$300+) then his step up to the 216sp gtx 260 should cost less than $10. i'm stepping up both of my 192sp cards right now.

I paid $320. If I go the 260 gtx core 216 route, am I really gonna notice a diff and is it worth the down time I will have? It would be $7 dollars plus downtime to switch it out. I did get the second to highest clocked evga card at the time, and it seems as though they are gonna step it up with the slowest core 216 card. I am sure I could get back to the same clocks, but thats why I bought the 2nd to fastest card to begin with, so I didnt HAVE to overclock, but of course I always could if I wanted later...:D

My 260 > 260 216 step-up would have cost me $5 for shipping and that's it. I let it run out 4 days ago.

My vanilla 260 OCs at 725/1450/1250. Rumors are saying the 216's don't OC quite like the regulars do, I couldn't take the chance...

I got a used 280 for $360 and it was not registered. I registered it ok even saying I bought it off Hardforums. I hope there is a bit faster card soon lol.

The 280 runs everything 1920x1200 16X MSAA and 16 AF. Even the Crysis demo ran well at high settings.

You might notice a bit more smoothness in games at your resolution with a GTX 280. The GTX 260 216 might net you a couple more FPS in most games. Just doesn't seem worth the trouble for it.

I Stepped Up from a Vanilla 260 to a 280, cost me 49 bucks. worth every penny.

whats the average downtime (time from when the old card leaves the case until the new card is installed)? My only worry with the 280 is the overheating issues some people experience.

I am in the process of stepping up my Super clocked GTX 260 to the Core 216 GTX 260. I figure for the few dollars that step up costs I will if nothing else have a brand new video card now that I paid for and sorta got to use for the last 3 months. A few frames per second in shader heavy games plus for me, an extra points per day in my folding seems worth it for the little trouble it takes.

I hope I don't end up eating those words.

Can you sli a 260 and a 260 216 core?

I'm in the same boat, my step up runs out in 4 days. If I step up to a 216 core I would have to get another expensive 216 core to sli, however if I don't I can find a used 260 off here or ebay for cheap and sli that......

Unless you can sli a regular 260 and a new 260 216 shader......?

Depending on shipping method, it takes about 8 days. 2 days to get there (for me) 2 days turn around, and another 2 days to ship back. Add in the weekend. I shipped mine out on a thursday, got the new ones back a week from that monday. But i had to deal with 2 weekends.

I stepped up from a GTX 260 SSC to a vanilla GTX 280. Only gripe I had was my bad timing with my purchases & upgrades. Too many price drops to make me feel awesome financially about it BUT the current performance in games is nothing to complain about. Overall, I'm satisfied with no regrets.

Back