6 days left in Step-Up [8800gt] should I bother

fellows

Limp Gawd
I know variations of this question have been asked hundreds of times, but I still seem to be getting different opinions.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1283369

The general consensus seems to be that the 8800gts is better for its low noise, better stock cooling, overclock ability, 128sp, 3 phase power
All this sounds good, but as most are aware the actual real word difference tends to be negligible. I do most of my gaming at 1680x1050, but am trying to do more of it at 1920x1080 [on my Flatscreen TV] Would the fact that I can OC the GTS easier justify the upgrade, along with its other benefits. I'm pissed that I'll miss the 9800gtx by a few days but the 9800gx2 doesnt seem worth it even if it comes out in the next couple of days

I checked with eVga, and all together my Step-up will cost $65 + the cost to ship my card to evga. [For the 8800GTS]

Any thoughts. I guess my other option is to invest in some aftermarket cooling for the 8800gt like an Accelero or something.

-fellows

Well first you have to ask yourself do you really NEED to upgrade? Are you upgrading because you're disappointed in your 8800GT?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I know variations of this question have been asked hundreds of times, but I still seem to be getting different opinions.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1283369

The general consensus seems to be that the 8800gts is better for its low noise, better stock cooling, overclock ability, 128sp, 3 phase power
All this sounds good, but as most are aware the actual real word difference tends to be negligible. I do most of my gaming at 1680x1050, but am trying to do more of it at 1920x1080 [on my Flatscreen TV] Would the fact that I can OC the GTS easier justify the upgrade, along with its other benefits. I'm pissed that I'll miss the 9800gtx by a few days but the 9800gx2 doesnt seem worth it even if it comes out in the next couple of days

I checked with eVga, and all together my Step-up will cost $65 + the cost to ship my card to evga. [For the 8800GTS]

Any thoughts. I guess my other option is to invest in some aftermarket cooling for the 8800gt like an Accelero or something.

-fellows

Yes, the GTS is definitely better than the GT. But IMHO, you shouldn't bother. $65 + shipping costs are not worth the performance increase from one card to another.

And yes, I believe you are better off in getting an aftermarket cooler for your GT. Cheaper and reduces the only downside of the GT, which is really the weak stock cooler.

Im still using a 7800gt and im still holding out, an 8800gt would practically double my performance i dont see the real need to upgrade beyond that when nvidia 10 is gonna be out in 6-8 months.

I have a similar question, I hope I am not thread jacking:

My step up expires on the 19th of this month, which is ONE day after the 9800 X2 release. I have an 8800GTX, as well as the specs listed in my signature.

Is that worth the upgrade? It doesnt look promising, but for the price it might be. I dont think it will be 600-650 since the "rumor" for the 9800GTX is 299-349.

Thanks

From everything I've both read and heard, the insane price for the 9800gx2 is not worth it.
I personally don't plan to upgrade to it. Unfortunately if your Step-Up expires AFTER the launch of the 9800gtx then you may have a harder decision depending on pricing.

As a sidenote: Anyone know what the overall best accepted cooler is for the 8800GT.

I have a similar question, I hope I am not thread jacking:

My step up expires on the 19th of this month, which is ONE day after the 9800 X2 release. I have an 8800GTX, as well as the specs listed in my signature.

Is that worth the upgrade? It doesnt look promising, but for the price it might be. I dont think it will be 600-650 since the "rumor" for the 9800GTX is 299-349.

Thanks

not even close to worth it. your gtx might outperform it in many games, where sli doesnt work well.

If you currently have an 8800, its not going to be worth going to the 9800's. As far as coolers go, the BEST air cooler for the gt is the thermalright HR03 gt, with the accelero S1 as a close 2nd.

Holy crap, the thermalright hr-03 is $50. Crap this is making my decision a little harder.
Althought the S1 is around $32, plus another $10 for the fan attachment.

So I guess one of these is still a better option than the $65 GTS Step-up?

Thanks again for the input

Holy crap, the thermalright hr-03 is $50. Crap this is making my decision a little harder.
Althought the S1 is around $32, plus another $10 for the fan attachment.

So I guess one of these is still a better option than the $65 GTS Step-up?

Thanks again for the input

If it was between the $50 HR-03 and the $65 step-up, I'd definitely do the step-up. Little more performance, better cooling with no work, more than likely quieter depending on fan. It'd be a no-brainer in my situation.

The GTS is only 8-15% faster depending on the clocks.

If cooling is a issue, sure step up, if you are happy with the cooling on the GT then don't bother. EVGA do seem to charge a premium for thee 8800GT' s so effectively you have already paid for some of the stepup already imo, hence the $65 not $100.

Yes, the GTS is definitely better than the GT. But IMHO, you shouldn't bother. $65 + shipping costs are not worth the performance increase from one card to another.

And yes, I believe you are better off in getting an aftermarket cooler for your GT. Cheaper and reduces the only downside of the GT, which is really the weak stock cooler.

so you spend $30-40 on an aftermarket cooler... why not spend $25 more and get the GTS and get 10% more performance?

i agree with you that $65 is problably not worth the minor increase, however if you're going to have to buy stuff and modify the GT to be happy, the perhaps the step-up starts to make more sense.

Back