6-8 Pin Connector for Graphics Card

Is it a good temporary fix?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
So I built my first system a while back and am currently using a GPU that uses duel 6 Pin connectors for its power consumption. However I am getting ready to remodel my system and recently purchased a GPU that requires two 8 Pin instead of 6 Pin not thinking it would be a problem. However after digging through all the wires I have I realized that I only had 1 8 Pin cord. (Most likely due to me somehow misplacing the other one.) So I was wondering so long as I'm not doing anything over intensive if just using a 6Pin to 8Pin conversion on one of my 6 pin cords would be an adequate temporary fix for about a month a half before I build the new system.

Thanks for your help!

If it was my system, I would be more comfortable with using a 2 x 6-pin to 8-pin adapter just to have a warm fuzzy. But, since it's only temporary and you won't be pushing the card, it'll work well enough. I'd personally check wire temps a couple times on that line under load just to feel good, but I also know the pcie plug specs are fairly conservatively rated, meaning you can get away with temporarily putting more load on that 6-pin lead than you are "supposed" to without too much safety worry (doesn't necessarily mean that particular rail can keep up though, if it's a multi-rail PSU). As long as the wires aren't getting hot and that PSU rail can keep up with the load it'll be OK as a temporary fix.

edit: suggested to move this thread, probably more people will see it in a different section.

Last edited:
If it was my system, I would be more comfortable with using a 2 x 6-pin to 8-pin adapter just to have a warm fuzzy. But, since it's only temporary and you won't be pushing the card, it'll work well enough. I'd personally check wire temps a couple times on that line under load just to feel good, but I also know the pcie plug specs are fairly conservatively rated, meaning you can get away with temporarily putting more load on that 6-pin lead than you are "supposed" to without too much safety worry (doesn't necessarily mean that particular rail can keep up though, if it's a multi-rail PSU). As long as the wires aren't getting hot and that PSU rail can keep up with the load it'll be OK as a temporary fix.

Ok thank you for your thoughts like I stated above I'm not overly involved with hardware and wanted someone else's opinion before I do something that could have cost me. And like I said I won't be pushing it too often maybe just RL and Fallout for a few hrs a week until I build the new rig.

The 6-pin connectors are only designed to provide 75W of power while the 8-pins are designed for 150W. Because of this you need a 2x PCI-E 6-pin to PCI-E 8-pin adapter. I've seen cards refuse to boot or take-down power supplies if plugged in wrong.

The 6-pin connectors are only designed to provide 75W of power while the 8-pins are designed for 150W. Because of this you need a 2x PCI-E 6-pin to PCI-E 8-pin adapter. I've seen cards refuse to boot or take-down power supplies if plugged in wrong.

So you're suggesting I use 2 6 Pin to 8 pin rather than just 1 8 Pin with a 6 Pin that has been converted to an 8 Pin? Essentially don't use the 8 Pin and stick with the 2 6 Pins and convert them to 8 Pin?

What PSU do you have?

So you're suggesting I use 2 6 Pin to 8 pin rather than just 1 8 Pin with a 6 Pin that has been converted to an 8 Pin? Essentially don't use the 8 Pin and stick with the 2 6 Pins and convert them to 8 Pin?
He's saying that if you have 2 x 6 Pin to single 8Pin adapter, use that in addition to the 8Pin connector.

We need to know exactly what power supply you have to give better answers.

Thanks for all the help guys it's a RM750. Recently located the other 8 pin so no shenanigans wiring when the GPU gets here. Thanks for all the feedback though.

Thank you very much for that bit of information hope it doesn't come in handy, as in I don't make losing cables a habit, but still a nice bit of information to have.

Back