5yr old 850w seasonic good enough for 6900xtxh?

Romeomium

Limp Gawd
I have a 5yr old build that I will be updating later this year when new amd chips come out. Have an 1800x and rx480 with 6 HDDs and 2 ssds. Big case.

Scored a 69000XT red devil ultimate for a decent price and will be keeping it air cooled until I do a water loop during tbe rebuild.

I have a 5yr old seasonic 850w titanium. Will this be sufficient for now? Sufficient if I eventually try to push the power with custom cooling or do I need 1000w?

Not looking for a benchmark king. Hardly game anymore but when I do I want it to work. Rx480 has served me well but I'm down to low/medium on my ultrawide.

It should be fine, as long as it doesn't suffer from transient spike problems. If it does, RMA it and get a new unit that you'll never have worry about.

I had a similar in age 850w prime titanium for my 3080ti/5900x build. It did start to have OCP/OVP issues with the 3080ti occasionally, but Seasonic covered it under warranty. The 2018 and older versions of the Prime's have a known issue with newer GPU's as their OCP/OVP is too sensitive for the massive swings cards like the 6900xt/3080ti. 850w is sufficient for these cards at stock 350w-400w peak draw.

The seasonic warranty process is about the most hassle free and easiest i've ever personally dealt with. The RMA was accepted, and an advanced replacement sent out all within the same day.

1661344637016.png

it might be ok but i wouldnt be surprised if it trips ocp...

Reactions: maro
like this
View attachment 503420
it might be ok but i wouldnt be surprised if it trips ocp...
The post 2020 Seasonic Prime's don't have the bug/issue, it was corrected. The older one's just had too sensitive of OCP & OVP. The Radeon's would trip the OCP. The 3080+ cards actually would trip OVP due to a bug with how the protection circuit on the PSU was reading the 12v sense line. There's a Johnnyguru article on that one, although I can't find it at the moment, it was buried within a PSU review and some testing he did.

The post 2020 Seasonic Prime's don't have the bug/issue, it was corrected. The older one's just had too sensitive of OCP & OVP. The Radeon's would trip the OCP. The 3080+ cards actually would trip OVP due to a bug with how the protection circuit on the PSU was reading the 12v sense line. There's a Johnnyguru article on that one, although I can't find it at the moment, it was buried within a PSU review and some testing he did.
yeah, i know.... how old does the thread title say his psu is?

You guys are awesome. Looks like I need to test it to see if I need to RMA. Was looking for my purchase receipt and couldn't find it on Amazon or the egg...so need to dig more. It's definitely a 2016 or 2017 model prime.

I dont need to push the OC now or for awhile. I am too busy and old to do much besides using factory OC unless it's not working too well. Water loop is for quiet and gpu prices have been OP for so long I felt like splurging the $800.

Did you read my initial post?
no, i was replying to the op.

You guys are awesome. Looks like I need to test it to see if I need to RMA. Was looking for my purchase receipt and couldn't find it on Amazon or the egg...so need to dig more. It's definitely a 2016 or 2017 model prime.

I dont need to push the OC now or for awhile. I am too busy and old to do much besides using factory OC unless it's not working too well. Water loop is for quiet and gpu prices have been OP for so long I felt like splurging the $800.
always keep the receipt ;)

Easily good enough with a well built 850W under 10years old (and maybe even older).
Seasonic are among the best PSUs you can get, it will be no problem.

According to Cultists networks PSU tier list the Seasonic Prime units 850w and above (below are Focus based) might still have an issue (see footnote 8). According to Johnnyguru´s post jan 24th 2022, they fixed it a few month prior to that, which should put it in late 2021 territory. He also shows in the thread how to replicate the issue for those with Ampere cards that want some peace of mind.

Its annoying, since I´ve been a big fan of Seasonic PSUs over the years. I bought a new PSU only two days ago and Seasonic Prime was on my short list. Not knowing the production date on the Prime, I bought a Fractal Design ION+ 2 860W instead (A+ on both noise and power on Cybenetics for the ION+ model and the ION+ 2 model have updated ATX specs on top of that according to reviews).

There are so many PSU units on the Cultist networks PSU tier list with transient power draw issues on AMD and Nvidia cards (see footnote 1) and now Prime units with PSU design flaws that gives similar symptoms. Its harder to select GPUs now being one that switches hardware now and then, but keeps the PSU. If I didn´t need a new PSU right now, I would have waited until the new PCIE 5 16-pin have been implemented.

According to Cultists networks PSU tier list the Seasonic Prime units 850w and above (below are Focus based) might still have an issue (see footnote 8). According to Johnnyguru´s post jan 24th 2022, they fixed it a few month prior to that, which should put it in late 2021 territory. He also shows in the thread how to replicate the issue for those with Ampere cards that want some peace of mind.

Its annoying, since I´ve been a big fan of Seasonic PSUs over the years. I bought a new PSU only two days ago and Seasonic Prime was on my short list. Not knowing the production date on the Prime, I bought a Fractal Design ION+ 2 860W instead (A+ on both noise and power on Cybenetics for the ION+ model and the ION+ 2 model have updated ATX specs on top of that according to reviews).

There are so many PSU units on the Cultist networks PSU tier list with transient power draw issues on AMD and Nvidia cards (see footnote 1) and now Prime units with PSU design flaws that gives similar symptoms. Its harder to select GPUs now being one that switches hardware now and then, but keeps the PSU. If I didn´t need a new PSU right now, I would have waited until the new PCIE 5 16-pin have been implemented.
Either way, while I agree it's annoying it may have took them so long to fix the problem - They will RMA it no questions asked. My recent RMA of my 2018 unit was replaced with a brand new 2022 unit produced in May.

Also, I wouldn't worry about production date if you're buying new from an official reseller. Due to the supply shortages and pandemic I find it unlikely you'd get a model that wasn't produced in 2022 if you buy it from Newegg, Amazon, etc. Even pre-pandemic my model I bought from Amazon was produced only a couple months before I bought it. They don't have a bunch of these just laying around on shelves. Even if you did manage to get a 2020 or older model, again, it's not like you couldn't RMA it for a new one anyways.

Last edited:
Either way, while I agree it's annoying it may have took them so long to fix the problem - They will RMA it no questions asked. My recent RMA of my 2018 unit was replaced with a brand new 2022 unit produced in May.

Also, I wouldn't worry about production date if you're buying new from an official reseller. Due to the supply shortages and pandemic I find it unlikely you'd get a model that wasn't produced in 2022 if you buy it from Newegg, Amazon, etc. Even pre-pandemic my model I bought from Amazon was produced only a couple months before I bought it. They don't have a bunch of these just laying around on shelves. Even if you did manage to get a 2020 or older model, again, it's not like you couldn't RMA it for a new one anyways.
True, its also annoying that the closest thing to a trustworthy known source with confirmation that this is fixed, is a post from Johnnyguru on tomshardware forums. Nothing official from Seasonic that I have seen.

RMA is not a problem for me, since I live in Norway where I can send it back to retailer within a timeframe without stating reason. I just don´t want to risk dealing with it. Johnnygurus post puts the timeframe to the end of 2021 and with my luck, Id get one thats produced before the fix. :p Cultist network says the Prime units still might have that issue.

My reason for paying extra for Seasonic PSU to begin with is that they have high quality components, low noise levels and a peace of mind when it comes to power delivery for my systems. There is a price premium for the Seasonic brand and for many of us its been worth paying that (or doing research and see if another PSU is a rebranded Seasonic for cheaper).

No official statement from Seasonic about which units that have this issue, no official statement of when this issue was fixed from Seasonic or if its even fixed, does give me less peace of mind paying the price premium for Seasonic this time around.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
It should be fine... My 1st Seasonic X750 went bad after about 7yrs... (happily without killing anything else..pc just wouldn't boot)... Seasonic did make it right but they sent me a different revision of the X750 that was not compatible with my existing Modular Cables for the dead X750 I had... I was annoyed to discover this after taking the computer apart to swap in the new PSU ... oh well.

Just today when upgrading my wife's pc to my old ryzen 5 3600 I discovered that the 10~yr old Corsair TX650 in her computer has "issues" and I had to replace it... I think in future on my own builds I'm replacing Power supplies older than 6yrs~ on new builds..

It should be fine... My 1st Seasonic X750 went bad after about 7yrs...

Still using mine in my main pc. 11 yrs strong... same model as that you had. have 2 brand new Seasonic going into 2 different builds also.. All I will use now is them or Corsair.

Back