5x ST3000DM001-9YN166 f/w diff...

DigitalLF

n00b
Hello!

I'm really new to this with raid (both hardware and software) but i got a LSI 9271-8i (latest firmware and software)

and everything has been great with the 4 drives i have have up and running for a while now but i now need to add a drive and the problem is that the new drive got a newer firmware and I'm really stuck...

4 drives got CC24 firmware and the 5 drive got CC26 firmware.

there are no firmware updates for CC24 or for the CC26 drive.

Is it safe to add the CC26 drive to the 4 drive CC24 array??

I've been running 6x of these same drives, 2TB models, with different firmwares with no issues. Unless you find something specific about a certain firmware having uses, I won't worry about it.

Heres mine:

• scsi-SATA_ST2000DM001-1CH
  • scsi-SATA_ST2000DM001-9YN
  • scsi-SATA_ST2000DM001-9YN

Why do you believe you need the exact same firmware on each drive in your RAID set?

I thought i had read it here :S It's being added right now.. will see in 35h. maybe i just got it all wrong but i thought that RAID systems wore really picky about firmware's and batches and stuff like that..

They're not. If you believe there is, you can always try to update the firmware.

If the drive (and firmware version) are on the HCL for the card, I wouldn't worry about it.

Generally if the drive you're replacing has an *older* firmware version, that may not be good. Seagate's .11 drives with SN05 come to mind. I had a 3ware card that when I updated the firmware of the HBA, the seagate drives were no longer supported.

Ended up replacing them all.

You don't need the same firmware for all drives in an array. You don't even need the same brand of drives in an array. The controller handles each drive independently as it writes to them. It doesn't say "well drives 1-3 took 5ms to respond and drive 4 took 12ms; clearly drive 4 is worse than 1-3; I am dropping it." No. If one drive is slower than the others, it will slow down the whole array, but it will not cause any other issues. Feel free to mix firmware versions, brands, or even spindle speeds, as long as all the drives you use are all suitable for RAID with the card (e.g. they have a low enough transfer timeout that won't cause the controller to drop them).

In fact I recommend mixing brands, or at least using different batches for the HDDs in an array, just to minimize the chance that multiple drives will fail at the same time.

Edit: However, if Seagate recommends updating the firmware to fix some issue then of course do so. Sometimes firmware updates are tied to minor hardware updates on the drive's controller, also, and may not even be applicable to the older versions.

Last edited:
The drives was are not on the HCL list its a consumer drive. its soon done with the migration.

I honestly can't find the info if the updates are for this drive.. to upgrade the firmware i have to take that drive out of the array and upgrade it and then re-add it right?

I don't think the Seagate upgrade software will work on the RAID card. You have a shot if the card has the drive mounted as pass-through, but not if it's a member in a RAID volume.

Back