5x 9800GX2?

z3r0-

[H]ard|Gawd
Do you think it will ever be possible to install five 9800GX2 cards and have 10 way SLI? That would be sooooo sweet! We might be able to run crysis then! But really... any hope?

foxconn_motherboard1.jpg

Couldn't they just make a board like that with 5 PCIEs? Maybe even 6? OMFG 12 WAY SLI!?!?!

sure why not, u just need a PentaSLI Mobo. :rolleyes::D

Isn't that the spider-crossfire motherboard from AMD/ATi?

Maybe I'm not [H] enough, but I'd rather have a MOBO with 10 well placed SATA ports and 1 or 2 pcie slots than tri/quad/blah blah blah SLI

That'd be pretty baller, I'm not gonna lie. You'd need one hell of a PSU though.

Do you think it will ever be possible to install five 9800GX2 cards and have 10 way SLI? That would be sooooo sweet! We might be able to run crysis then! But really... any hope?

Couldn't they just make a board like that with 5 PCIEs? Maybe even 6? OMFG 12 WAY SLI!?!?!

Right now NVIDIA drivers support no more than four GPUs. Crossfire has the same limitation currently. So either two dual GPU cards or three single cards are the only ways to go right now. Crossfire can actually do 4 seperate single GPU cards and SLI can't.

You will never see 6x SLI unless they start putting three GPUs on a single card, or eventually allow 3-Way SLI with 3 dual GPU boards. Until that happens, your SOL on your fantasy. BTW the 9800GX2's can only be used in pairs at the most. They only have one SLI connector each.

Man now someones talking about 6x 2x SLI? When will this madness end!?!?

You could fit 14 on that new foxconn ferr posted!!!! OMFG! That's 28 way SLI! That's 8400 dollars of video card :O

you know someone would do it though. that's chump change to the kind of people that buy 2 of these and want 4 though :p

it also has 11 BIOS battery backups so you will never have to worry about losing your BIOS settings! :p :p

She looks like a runner!! :D

You would need the 'Grandfather Clock' model for your case too!

it also has 11 BIOS battery backups so you will never have to worry about losing your BIOS settings! :p :p

im more excited about the eleven audio chips, 77.11 surround sound baby!

not to mention enough sata ports to make PS-RAGE and Ockie wheep for joy :p

no, i think its more jump with joy.

if he can have 36 drives in 1 server with a standard atx board, think how many HDD's he'd be able to run with a 16 port PCIE sata card in each socket...

Right now NVIDIA drivers support no more than four GPUs. Crossfire has the same limitation currently. So either two dual GPU cards or three single cards are the only ways to go right now. Crossfire can actually do 4 seperate single GPU cards and SLI can't.

You will never see 6x SLI unless they start putting three GPUs on a single card, or eventually allow 3-Way SLI with 3 dual GPU boards. Until that happens, your SOL on your fantasy. BTW the 9800GX2's can only be used in pairs at the most. They only have one SLI connector each.

DX10 also allows for only 4 frame buffers I believe.

Is that motherboard even atx form factor? It has more than 7 expansion slots.

Nope. It isn't. To be honest I'm not sure what form factor that is, but it wont work in most cases. The Thermaltake Xaser VI or one of the other cases with 10x expansion slots would be required. Even then, are those screw hole placements part of any standard? Doesn't make much sense to me.

EDIT: Looking at the Xaser, it does not have mounting holes that would allow you to put in a taller motherboard. The 3 extra expansion slots are designed to be used by things like those USB ports your motherboard comes with that go in an expansion slot. So I'm not sure what the deal is with this mobo or how they expect anyone to use it.

Actually the SLI connector is not really a limitation, you can do SLI without it. Bandwitdh is a limitation with PCIe 1.x not sure if it still applies with PCIe 2.0

too bad scaling sucks for anything over 2, and often for anything over 1.

Actually the SLI connector is not really a limitation, you can do SLI without it. Bandwitdh is a limitation with PCIe 1.x not sure if it still applies with PCIe 2.0

True. Before the high end parts wouldn't have had enough bandwidth over PCI-Express x16 or x8 slots for the communication which of course will most likely be bi-directional as well.

Back