5th Gen Intel 15in Laptops

FRZ

2[H]4U
So I got a XPS 13 as my new work laptop, but sadly the screen size is too small. Does not look like the XPS 15 has been updated with the new chips, and the other 15in laptops out now seem low end variants and even those are fairly rare. Anything on the horizon or will I be waiting til after summer?

There are no broadwell quadcore processors for larger 15 in notebooks yet. That is why you haven't seen anything. There are desktop parts, ultrabook parts, but nothing in between. Even the recently announced Asus UX501 is still using Haswell.

i have a dirt cheap Dell 15" laptop with broadwell. It's pretty nice for what I paid

Lenovo sure has a bunch of models with 5th Gen I-Series.
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/landingpage/promotions/weekly-sale/thinkpad-laptops/

Just sold a t550 to one of my customers the other day.

i have a dirt cheap Dell 15" laptop with broadwell. It's pretty nice for what I paid

Those are all using dual core 15W parts.

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/84979/5th-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors#@All

Intel isn't offering Broadwell chips that can replace the Quad Core 37W parts in computers like the MacBook Pro 15in and the Dell XPS15 yet.

Yeah, something like the Thinkpad W550s will be as close as you get if you want Broadwell in a (pseudo)workstation, but you don't have the patience (or time) to wait for quadcore Broadwell or Skylake.

Ahhh ok makes sense now. Any indication on when these chips will hit the market? I assume since they have not even been announced that it will be September/October at the soonest :/

There are no broadwell quadcore processors for larger 15 in notebooks yet. That is why you haven't seen anything. There are desktop parts, ultrabook parts, but nothing in between. Even the recently announced Asus UX501 is still using Haswell.

Speaking of Asus Zenbooks... I'm still upset they haven't offered a broadwell replacement for the UX301 yet... they've already done so for the UX303 using the i7 5500U :(

Didn't realize OP was looking for quad-core parts. The i7-5500U is pretty potent, even for a dual-core.

Didn't realize OP was looking for quad-core parts. The i7-5500U is pretty potent, even for a dual-core.

I'd be open to that, but even so the 15in notebooks which have that at the moment are on the lower end. Im looking for something like the xps 15. The lenovo x1 carbon might be an interesting option, but I missed the 40% off sale last week and I'm too ticked off about it to pay full price :p

Speaking of Asus Zenbooks... I'm still upset they haven't offered a broadwell replacement for the UX301 yet... they've already done so for the UX303 using the i7 5500U :(

I believe they have it listed under the specs, but haven't actually put it for sale yet.

I believe they have it listed under the specs, but haven't actually put it for sale yet.

I commented on Asus NA on facebook about it, and they replied that those specific models will not be for sale in the US..

I'm hoping the facebook rep on ASUS just made up crap, because my heart would be broken if it's true ;(

I commented on Asus NA on facebook about it, and they replied that those specific models will not be for sale in the US..

I'm hoping the facebook rep on ASUS just made up crap, because my heart would be broken if it's true ;(

Aah yes, you stared the other thread I commented on. Sorry to hear that your notebook might prove unattainable.

Back