598U Sierra USB Modem & Sprint Mobile 5gig limit

Starrfoxx

Weaksauce
I just recently subscribed to Sprint Mobile Broadband from the 3G store, and I got the 598U Sierra USB Modem for $30, a free antenna, and bought a router from them.

My question is about the 5 gig limit that Sprint has on it's $60 a month service. If you exceed the limit, you get charged extra. Is there any type of tracking software that shows how much bandwidth has been used?

What router are you using?

Usually when you use the aircards on your laptop the connection app keeps track of usage (I know sierra's apps do from experience, as does verizons). Through a router it depends on what you are using though.

It's a Cradlepoint MBR1000. We'll be sharing 3 computer, a laptop, and our Wii on the Sprint service. Although I've found some free monitoring software out there for one computer, I haven't found anything decent when sharing across a network. I did read that some routers come with software that can monitor bandwidth.

It's a nice router, btw. I got it mainly for the LAN cable hookups (I trust that more than wireless), although there is an option for wireless on it too.

I looked up the manual for your cradlepoint router and it has a traffic stats section. Page 97 in the manual.

To get to it, just login to the router and go to Status --> Statistics.

You will just have to go in and click the "Clear Statistics" button each billing period to get an accurate count. It is listed in KiloBytes so your 5GB limit is 5,242,880.

Excellent. I was busy trying to figure out how my laptop can link up to it via wireless, and while doing so I saw the "statistics" that you talked about. This is really going to be helpful. I'm glad I bought this router. It even has a cool GPS feature that will come in handy, since we are going to be out on the road full-timing with an RV.

Back