5960x CPU upgrade to a xeon?

The Cobra

2[H]4U
Hi All,

I still have my 5960x system stashed away that still works perfectly. It has an asus deluxe motherboard with 16GB of ram. I want to upgrade the CPU to a xeon...I won't be doing any overclocking, just some rendering and gaming when it suits me.

Any advice? I know the Asus motherboards support the xeons with later bios updates.

Anyone have exp with this?

Thx!!!

That's already an 8c/16t cpu. What do you expect to achieve with going to a xeon? Just curious.

Edit: I guess I'm just wondering if you realise the cost of a 2011v3 xeon with more cores and threads (so the 10c/20t). They aren't cheap. Even smaller ones such as a 2667v3 are costly.

The only upgrade worthwhile on X99 is the 6950X which are still absurdly expensive. The 1680 V3 is supposedly a better binned 5960X but besides that everything with more cores is locked.

The only upgrade worthwhile on X99 is the 6950X which are still absurdly expensive. The 1680 V3 is supposedly a better binned 5960X but besides that everything with more cores is locked.

As a gaming upgrade, the 6950X isn't worth it. They don't clock as high and the IPC improvement doesn't offset this. The extra two cores are virtually worthless in gaming. In other tasks, the 6950X would have to be priced right to make sense and it simply never is.

As a gaming upgrade, the 6950X isn't worth it. They don't clock as high and the IPC improvement doesn't offset this. The extra two cores are virtually worthless in gaming. In other tasks, the 6950X would have to be priced right to make sense and it simply never is.
Well he said he isn't doing overclocking either and the 6950X does 3.4 all core turbo while the 5960X does 3.3. That being said I did look and the 2689 V4 does 3.7 all core turbo and is 10 cores but the price is crazy. The V3 all core turbos are all lower so whether the higher core counts might be good for their use case idk but gaming perf will suffer. I got my 2696 V3s for 500 ea a while ago which is decent value if 18 cores 2.8 all core is what you want.

Honestly, if he isn't overclocking the 5960X, he should be. They are solid overclockers and there is a lot of performance to be gained by doing so. I ran two of them at 4.4GHz and 4.5GHz for YEARS without issue.

Honestly, if he isn't overclocking the 5960X, he should be. They are solid overclockers and there is a lot of performance to be gained by doing so. I ran two of them at 4.4GHz and 4.5GHz for YEARS without issue.

I used to OC the 5960x to 4.3 with no issues when I first purchased it. Never had any crashes, cpu stayed a constant 50-60c with water cooling. Now the 5960x is going to become a render machine for me since I picked up some freelance graphics work with 4k video production needed. I need stability instead of super speed for a gaming rig. My current rig is going to become a render station as well. We are going to be using three local machines using Renderman. They just need raw video converted into MKV and MP4 with super compression. Never burn bridges with your old company and maintain a back channel, this is the 4th time they have graced me with work.

I used to OC the 5960x to 4.3 with no issues when I first purchased it. Never had any crashes, cpu stayed a constant 50-60c with water cooling. Now the 5960x is going to become a render machine for me since I picked up some freelance graphics work with 4k video production needed. I need stability instead of super speed for a gaming rig. My current rig is going to become a render station as well. We are going to be using three local machines using Renderman. They just need raw video converted into MKV and MP4 with super compression. Never burn bridges with your old company and maintain a back channel, this is the 4th time they have graced me with work.

If it's a good OC, it won't matter what you are doing. It will be stable.

Thanks for making this thread since I have a Asus Rampage V Extreme and was contemplating which CPU would be a worthwhile upgrade from my 5930k.

Thanks for this info!

I'm still running a 5960X and over time my OC has gotten less stable. I think it is because of Asus's only passable VRM. Locking the voltage instead of using offsets has fixed it for now, but its kinda niggling at my brain why its started randomly hanging.

I tried lowing my multiplier, as well as using seperate multipliers depending on load (it never worked as intended, always running at the lowest multi), then I finally locked in the volts and set it back to 4.2, has been fine since.

Agreed. This clocks better than my 6850

Back