5950X - Newegg Shell Shocker for $729

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this faster than the 12900K that's coming out for $600 in a handful of weeks? I haven't been paying attention. I do know I would like to get DDR5 this fall. Thank you for the post.

Is this faster than the 12900K that's coming out for $600 in a handful of weeks? I haven't been paying attention. I do know I would like to get DDR5 this fall. Thank you for the post.
A bit early yet since we don't have an actual 12900K in hand but early reports suggest not. Also, 5950x doesn't do DDR5.

Nope. 12900K is next generation.

If the leaks are true----5950x should remain competitive in truly multi-threaded loads. But the single core (or lightly threaded) performance of Alder Lake will annihilate. A recent leak showed a single core score over 2,000, in Cinibench R23. Which is nutso.

Ok was trying to read up more on DDR5 and what it costs, then I found this. I knew Intel would bounce back but was not expecting this. I'm a fan of performance, not branding. So, if AMD has the fastest CPU, that's where I spend my money and or, if nVidia has the faster GPU, again, that's where I spend my money. Lot of guys are brand oriented even if this costs them 1st place in whatever benchmarks are popular.

Apparently, the new Alderlake 12900K is ... and this is their words, not mine, "demolishes the 5950x and 2990W in Cinebench" There are several leaks taking place since Alderlake is about to launch, I guess DDR5 memory has been being manufactured for the last 90 days, many Intel socket LGA1700 z690 boards are already sitting in warehouses from various manufactures and ready to ship with firmwares being finely tuned as we speak. I had no clue this was about to launch. I guess launch is taking place here in a few weeks? End of Oct?

I found several recent articles but will not spam this thread as I do not want to go off topic any more than I have. Looks like single thread and multi-thread performance is .. stellar / incredible compared to AMD's current lineup for desktop and HEDT.

https://wccftech.com/intel-core-129...ipper-and-ryzen-cpus-in-cinebench-benchmarks/

If all of this is true, which, I have no doubts that it is, then the 12900K with DDR5 will be the route to go for anyone, again, unless you're a die-hard AMD customer and you're okay with DDR4 and less performance on the desktop and HEDT.

Ok was trying to read up more on DDR5 and what it costs, then I found this. I knew Intel would bounce back but was not expecting this. I'm a fan of performance, not branding. So, if AMD has the fastest CPU, that's where I spend my money and or, if nVidia has the faster GPU, again, that's where I spend my money. Lot of guys are brand oriented even if this costs them 1st place in whatever benchmarks are popular.

Apparently, the new Alderlake 12900K is ... and this is their words, not mine, "demolishes the 5950x and 2990W in Cinebench" There are several leaks taking place since Alderlake is about to launch, I guess DDR5 memory has been being manufactured for the last 90 days, many Intel socket LGA1700 z690 boards are already sitting in warehouses from various manufactures and ready to ship with firmwares being finely tuned as we speak. I had no clue this was about to launch. I guess launch is taking place here in a few weeks? End of Oct?

I found several recent articles but will not spam this thread as I do not want to go off topic any more than I have. Looks like single thread and multi-thread performance is .. stellar / incredible compared to AMD's current lineup for desktop and HEDT.

https://wccftech.com/intel-core-129...ipper-and-ryzen-cpus-in-cinebench-benchmarks/

If all of this is true, which, I have no doubts that it is, then the 12900K with DDR5 will be the route to go for anyone, again, unless you're a die-hard AMD customer and you're okay with DDR4 and less performance on the desktop and HEDT.
I wouldn't say it "demolishes" the 5950x in Cinibench R23 multithread. The leak numbers says It does about 2000 points better. Which isn't a ton. But it is a fair bit. That's the difference between a 10700 and 11700.
However, the single core number is devestating.

What's clear, is that Intel's "BIG" cores, are very potent. It will be interesting to see how big of difference the performance is on DDR5 Vs. something like DDR4 3600mhz.

I wouldn't say it "demolishes" the 5950x in Cinibench R23 multithread. The leak numbers says It does about 2000 points better. Which isn't a ton. But it is a fair bit. That's the difference between a 10700 and 11700.
However, the single core number is devestating.

What's clear, is that Intel's "BIG" cores, are very potent. It will be interesting to see how big of difference the performance is on DDR5 Vs. something like DDR4 3600mhz.

Based on my vast military experience and analysis, what has managed to leak so far would seem to suggest "Intel is done fucking around". That's my professional military read on it, insofar as I have also played several videogames as a military character or likeness.

Last edited:
Based on my vast military experience and analysis, what has managed to leak so far would seem to suggest "Intel is done fucking around". That's my professional military read on it, insofar as I have also played videogames as a military character.
This is the internet, therefore I believe you

Unless you need or want the best, buy a 3950x on eBay and save yourself $250. Cost/benefit isn't there. You might have to wait for it, but they're going for ~$500.

I have a really hard time believing that Intel is going to, all of a sudden, get back in the game. We'll see.

Based on my vast military experience and analysis, what has managed to leak so far would seem to suggest "Intel is done fucking around". That's my professional military read on it, insofar as I have also played videogames as a military character.
hahaha

I have a really hard time believing that Intel is going to, all of a sudden, get back in the game. We'll see.
I don't. At the end of the day, Intel is a very aggressive competitor, so much so, I would not be surprised in the least if Intel itself along with it's partners leaked purposely over the last 12 - 24 months how poorly 10nm was coming along or any of the other bad news coming out of the Team Blue camp. If so, it would have been a master stroke in supplying the enemy with false intelligence so that it might loosen it's research and development as it strategized it's roadmap moving forward. I myself do this when I met new women off tinder, meet me and POF. When asked my birthday, I always give a date within 2 1/2 to 3 weeks away. This ensures I have a constant supply of birthday gifts coming in all year long. Same difference. I recently read an article that was very insightful and explained in no uncertain terms that Intel does not have any more chances in the current marketplace. He also suggested that Intel beat Intel, not AMD.

If the leaks are true----5950x should remain competitive in truly multi-threaded loads. But the single core (or lightly threaded) performance of Alder Lake will annihilate. A recent leak showed a single core score over 2,000, in Cinibench R23. Which is nutso.
Thats great, and what really uses just 1 core these days?

Thats great, and what really uses just 1 core these days?

Crysis Remastered? Lol

Hope Intel smacks AMD good this gen to drive down Zen 3 prices so I can finally upgrade my 2700X and get the dopamine hit for the negligible performance improvement in my games at 3440-1440p. 2700X wasn't great when it launched for gaming, but real-world usage I don't feel limited by it whatsoever still at least at my resolution, but I'm irrationally eager to step up to Zen 3 still since my X470 still supports it and it will give my current platform some longer legs to run on for a while.

It's a good deal. If you live by a Micro Center you can get that in store.

I'll wait this one out. I'm skeptical that this is Intel's true answer aka Conroe vs. AMD64 back in the day. Plus DDR5 is going to be expensive for those needing/wanting 128GB or more!
Then there's thermals and acoustics to consider.
Right now my 5950X with 128GB RAM on Aorus Xtreme 1.2 can run damn near silent at full load rendering while boosting all cores at 4.4 ish. No complaints whatsoever about that. Single core performance may sound great for overall snappiness but eventually it gets to a point does it really feel faster? My iPhone 13 Pro Max demolishes my S21 Ultra and Fold 3 in benchmarks but in actual everyday use both are super fast and fluid. That's all that matters at the end of the day.

If the thing gets hot AF, needs more active cooling (noise!), et-al then it doesn't feel like I'm making (real world) progress.

The (Intel) fanboys will LOVE to brag about "whose king" again, whatever floats their boat. For me currently, the 5950X is where it's at. TBH I'm more excited to see what 5000 series Threadrippers are going to be like! :)

"demolishes the 5950x and 2990W in Cinebench"
Glad to see Intel stepping it up again. They are responding to pressure form AMD and competition is good for the consumer (at all levels). I have no loyalty to brand, just the technology. I will give them the benefit of the doubt on the performance versus AMDs current gen desktop technology. I just hope AMD is able to respond with their next to keep pricing pressure on Intel.

That said, this is a pretty shoddy article in general and downright stupid when they start to compare a desktop CPU to a HEDT CPU. The article is speculating based on someone else's data? They even blurred out the multi-core numbers.

Maybe it is a lack of reading comprehension on my part, but I sure as hell hope this 16 core/32 thread chip beats out a 32/64 HEDT chip in a single core benchmark. And no, a desktop CPU is not in direct competition with a Threadripper. Hell, a 9700k can smoke a lot of HEDT CPUs. I really don't understand why people write articles like that. Let's also compare them to Xeon and Epyc chips while we are at it. Beyond what sheer core count gives a workstation, there is also the number of PCIe lanes needed to run multiple storage cards, NICS and GPUs. AMD nailed it here and still has massive benefits. My aging 2950x (2018 I think) has 60 PCIe lanes. That means my 3x m.2 NVMes, RAID card, 2x PCI NVME cards, and GPU have their own dedicated lanes (I would really like to see Intel step this up and stop sharing their lanes across slots too). Desktop CPUs top out at 20, maybe 24. That's enough for a GPU and an expansion card before lanes are shared and that GPU or storage card drops to 8x. Try doing actual work, and core clocks are not the only bottleneck in a system.

/rant off

I don't. Intel's had about a half dozen years of CPU core upgrades trapped behind the 10nm debacle; and were more or less sitting still for years. Between finally getting some forward momentum on the manufacturing front, and making progress on decoupling more advanced core designs from processes that aren't out yet they've got the potential to do a major jump forward in capability.

Which is not to say there isn't a chance that the leaked numbers being tossed around are fake, or with the CPU running at 1500W under an LN2 pot; but they're not obviously fake either.

I'll wait this one out. I'm skeptical that this is Intel's true answer aka Conroe vs. AMD64 back in the day. Plus DDR5 is going to be expensive for those needing/wanting 128GB or more!
Then there's thermals and acoustics to consider.
Right now my 5950X with 128GB RAM on Aorus Xtreme 1.2 can run damn near silent at full load rendering while boosting all cores at 4.4 ish. No complaints whatsoever about that. Single core performance may sound great for overall snappiness but eventually it gets to a point does it really feel faster? My iPhone 13 Pro Max demolishes my S21 Ultra and Fold 3 in benchmarks but in actual everyday use both are super fast and fluid. That's all that matters at the end of the day.

IKR, I wonder how much it'll be to replace the 1.5TB ECC DDR4 RAM I have in my Mac Pro with DDR5 when it's available on its new platform. It will probably make a bigger difference than it did going from my Porshe Tychon Turbo S to my Tesla Model S Plaid or SR-71 Blackbird with Babe Ruth's autograph on it.

😅

IKR, I wonder how much it'll be to replace the 1.5TB ECC DDR4 RAM I have in my Mac Pro with DDR5 when it's available on its new platform. It will probably make a bigger difference than it did going from my Porshe Tychon Turbo S to my Tesla Model S Plaid or SR-71 Blackbird with Babe Ruth's autograph on it.

😅

Well yeah, if your current ram costs almost as much as Intel's most expensive server CPUs do switching to a new generation of ram is going to be a huge expense and you probably should skip the first generation or two if possible to avoid the early adopter tax.

OTOH for more conventionally specced systems; even if initial DDR5 prices are 2x as expensive as DDR4 is today 64GB the penalty would only be a few hundred dollars; meaning at similar total prices you'd be comparing against Ryzen's one step farther down which would give the AMD boxes an effective 4 core advantage in multi-threaded scenarios.

Serious question, when will they make a CPU that is

8 Core
16 Threads
5.9 Ghz base
6.9 Ghz boost

It seems like every year all we get is CPUs with more and more and more cores. Most people don't need more than 4 or 8 cores. And all of these 16 core CPUs always have such a poor base clock speed of like 3.4.

I'm guessing they just can't make them any faster so it's easier to just slap on more and more cores but at what point will it be enough? In 5 years are we going to have 64 core CPUS?

You will see optimizations and IPC gains such that even stuck in the mid to upper 4000s or low 5000s (MHz) will still have far better throughput than similar speeds from a few prior generations. 6+ GHz is simply not going to be achievable with cpus in their current form without esoteric cooling methods that are simply impractical for average end users.

Serious question, when will they make a CPU that is

8 Core
16 Threads
5.9 Ghz base
6.9 Ghz boost

It seems like every year all we get is CPUs with more and more and more cores. Most people don't need more than 4 or 8 cores. And all of these 16 core CPUs always have such a poor base clock speed of like 3.4.

I'm guessing they just can't make them any faster so it's easier to just slap on more and more cores but at what point will it be enough? In 5 years are we going to have 64 core CPUS?

You've got a very outmoded perspective on CPU design. And the only parts of the software universe that agree with it are all in the limited orbit of desktop computing, where the predominant OSes are all still based on Windows NT - something that was born during the 386/486 era.

The world has moved on. And luckily CPU designers have moved on with it.

You must be new or have a short memory. Were you around during the P4 days? Not unlike today. AMD's Athlon 64 and Athlon X2's were significantly better. Then the Core 2 architecture came along in 2006, bested the Athlons and AMD was playing catch up for the next 13 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back