5950x heat

bal3wolf

Limp Gawd
is it normal for ccd1 to be in 90s and ccd2 be in 70-80s tried to repaste a few times heres a pic of meta/xmrig hamming the system.
heat.PNG

is it normal for ccd1 to be in 90s and ccd2 be in 70-80s tried to repaste a few times heres a pic of meta/xmrig hamming the system.
View attachment 367840
Is that XMRig loading all of the cores equally?

5950x are setup so that the first CCD is favored when thread/core isn't hitting every cored/thread equally.

When running Cinibench R23, my 5950x has only a 3 degree separation between CCD1 and 2. But Cinibench loads all cores equally.

yea i see people on reddit with much lower temps but also much lower cb20 scores my chip seems to be very aggressive in trying to hold boosts over 4.5 all core and hitting over 5ghz on single cores.

When running Cinibench R23, my 5950x has only a 3 degree separation between CCD1 and 2. But Cinibench loads all cores equally.
I also just remembered that I'm running CCD1 at 100mhz faster. So that may be the temp difference, right there. I run my 5950x at 4.4ghz on CCD1 and 4.3ghz on CCD2.

1.2v and LLC #3

rock stable, as far as I can tell. passed 20 mins in cinibench R23. And I streamed Portal 2 for 3 hours last night, on some very heavy settings using X.264 on the CPU. Played the game and streamed the video, all on one system.

4.4ghz on both CCD at 1.2v is not stable, however.

yea i see people on reddit with much lower temps but also much lower cb20 scores my chip seems to be very aggressive in trying to hold boosts over 4.5 all core and hitting over 5ghz on single cores.
What are your settings for those boosts?

Its also possible that your cooler's coldplate has flatness issues. And the area over CCD1 may have significantly poorer contact. 10c is still a pretty large difference, even for that phenomenon, though.

my first screen stock was stock just turned pbo on 2nd one was after a bios update and my boost took a huge hit it seems like going to pull my block apart today and see if its clogged or anything.

my first screen stock was stock just turned pbo on 2nd one was after a bios update and my boost took a huge hit it seems like going to pull my block apart today and see if its clogged or anything.
You may not have changed any settings but 4.5ghz all core is not "stock" for a 5950x. Your motherboard's "stock" behavior is likely adding performance enhancements.

oh lol crazy it didn't do that with my 3900x, im using process laso to push loads to ccd2 to keep whole chip in 75-80c range till i pull off my block and check that everything is good inside im thinking something might be wrong cause i moved my 3900x to a 2nd computer with a differnt cpu block and its running coolest it ever has so im wondering if i put the jet plate on wrong or a clog inside my block.

oh lol crazy it didn't do that with my 3900x, im using process laso to push loads to ccd2 to keep whole chip in 75-80c range till i pull off my block and check that everything is good inside im thinking something might be wrong cause i moved my 3900x to a 2nd computer with a differnt cpu block and its running coolest it ever has so im wondering if i put the jet plate on wrong or a clog inside my block.
I have found that the 5950x is a completely different animal from my 3950x or 3900x. Single/low core count stuff cranks the heat. Playing good ole' Dragon Age Origins is annoying for me because it is not gpu bound and the cpu fan will ramp up all the time as the 5950x stretches it's legs. My 3950x stayed cool doing the same thing. Destiny 2 is totally different, the CPU never really does a lot heat and noise-wise because I'm gpu bound. Turning on PBO really juices it. Running CB20 with PBO on, the cpu will shoot up into the 80s and I'll get a score around 11500. Without PBO, it scores between 10000 and 10100 and stays fairly quiet.

I'll bet there is nothing wrong with your block at all. The 5000 series just behaves differently from the 3000 series in my experience. I may actually think about setting a thermal throttle limit when I don't need the juice.

Well I finally found a manual that was same type block based on that In using wrong jet for amd changing it now

I have found that the 5950x is a completely different animal from my 3950x or 3900x. Single/low core count stuff cranks the heat. Playing good ole' Dragon Age Origins is annoying for me because it is not gpu bound and the cpu fan will ramp up all the time as the 5950x stretches it's legs. My 3950x stayed cool doing the same thing. Destiny 2 is totally different, the CPU never really does a lot heat and noise-wise because I'm gpu bound. Turning on PBO really juices it. Running CB20 with PBO on, the cpu will shoot up into the 80s and I'll get a score around 11500. Without PBO, it scores between 10000 and 10100 and stays fairly quiet.

I'll bet there is nothing wrong with your block at all. The 5000 series just behaves differently from the 3000 series in my experience. I may actually think about setting a thermal throttle limit when I don't need the juice.
Cap the framerate on Dragon Age, to prevent that. Nvidia has a framerate capper, right in their driver control panel. you can setup a profile for Dragon Age, so it only engages with that game.

Cap the framerate on Dragon Age, to prevent that. Nvidia has a framerate capper, right in their driver control panel. you can setup a profile for Dragon Age, so it only engages with that game.
Hey, good idea. Why didn't I think of that? :facepalm:

well for my issue iv fixed it mostly i found a manual for another ek block same type that told me to use j1 jet plate for AMx i was using j2 cause the manual for my block didnt say anything about amds after switching all 32cores mining xmrig ccd1 78c ccd2 67.2 still got a 10c between the 2 but now im not hitting 90c on ccd1.
temps.PNG

Last edited:
Back