5930k 4.5ghz 1.3v at 82c CPU temp but coolant at 49c... wut?

Frank_Fuster

Limp Gawd
Hi There!

So i've been playing around with a new to me X99 setup with a 5930k and Kraken X62 AIO. I am using Grizzly Konductonaut liquid metal. I noticed that at 4.5GHZ using 1.3vcore, temps using Linx are hovering around 80-82c according to the CAM software, but the coolant temps are barely rising above 50c, usually hovering around 48c. Ambient is usually around 24-26c in my room (tropical island, Puerto Rico).

I am VERY new to watercooling, but my gut tells me this can't be right. I am assuming I screwed up with the mounting of the block and using the liquid metal for TIM. When I get home I'll try to reapply the liquid metal but at this point I'm wondering if I should just switch to my normal Kryonaut paste.

Any thoughts?

The coolant has a MUCH larger volume to distribute thermal energy through than the tiny CPU die does. And it takes time to get transfer that energy from the CPU to the coolant. They're not going to be the same temp.

Ryan is right about the coolant temp. But 49C is actually over 20C more then your ambient temps. Generally you want to keep the delta less then 10C above ambient, this should help CPU temps also.

My thought - the water is getting hot, so your block is working.

Check out your rad and fans - make sure there's no air bound up in the rad (it shouldn't make any noise at all while running, or if you shake it around - if you can hear the liquid in it, there is air in it and that's bad), and that all your fans are doing what you expect them to. It could be a case of just having a overclock/heat production that's too much for your rad setup - either not enough rad, or not enough fans.

Also, check out your pump and tubing, too hot water can also be a sign of too little flow. Make sure nothing is kinked or blocked, and your pump is running at full speed.

You can get to a point where your overclock and heat production will overwhelm the capacity of your water block, which could happen on some big overclocks, or where the block isn't properly installed. That doesn't sound like the case here, because the energy is very clearly making it across the block and into the water.

<=10C over ambient is a good rule of thumb for your water loop to be running at. An AIO like this may run a bit higher since they tend to have smaller pumps, but 50C is too hot for a water loop to be running effectively.

Last edited:
My thought - the water is getting hot, so your block is working.

Check out your rad and fans - make sure there's no air bound up in the rad (it shouldn't make any noise at all while running, or if you shake it around - if you can hear the liquid in it, there is air in it and that's bad), and that all your fans are doing what you expect them to. It could be a case of just having a overclock/heat production that's too much for your rad setup - either not enough rad, or not enough fans.

Also, check out your pump and tubing, too hot water can also be a sign of too little flow. Make sure nothing is kinked or blocked, and your pump is running at full speed.

You can get to a point where your overclock and heat production will overwhelm the capacity of your water block, which could happen on some big overclocks, or where the block isn't properly installed. That doesn't sound like the case here, because the energy is very clearly making it across the block and into the water.

<=10C over ambient is a good rule of thumb for your water loop to be running at. An AIO like this may run a bit higher since they tend to have smaller pumps, but 50C is too hot for a water loop to be running effectively.

Thanks for the response! As soon as I get out of work I will do a once over of the Kraken AIO. I am going to check out the if the block is properly seated anyway and reapply the Liquid Metal. One thing I did change when I switched to the 5930k from my 2600k is that I put the Kraken fans as exhaust instead of intake like I did before. This was based on what I read from reviews but now I'm not sure I made the right decision. I'll post back when I button everything up again.

dTvLnLzmqG2qMJxC9

DVLHDCcc3o3CUqGt8

fnGrGjebhGGpqopw8

Uninstalled the block but to my untrained eye I didn't see anything out if the ordinary. I reapplied the TIM this time using Grizzly Kryonaut. Temps seem to have normalized under load to what i was expecting. I also added two push fans for effect.

Ultimately I'll try and lower vCore from my current 1.3v @4.5 to try to lower overall TDP if possible

I have a similar chip, a 5960x, and I'm getting into the 70s at 1.3V and 4.4GHz with a 420mm rad just for it and a ekwb supremacy evo waterblock. I think that an aio is not as effective and also that you will reach a point when the thermal bottleneck becomes the ihs/tim. In your case you'd need a bigger radiator and/or more fans/faster fans to improve temperatures - you nees a bigger temp delta between the chip and coolant to get some more performance. Seeing as your temp delta between cooland and ambient ia so high, I'd say the radiator is undersized.

Back