5930K @ 4.5 GHz -> 6900K @ 4.5 GHz

KickAssCop

[H]F Junkie
Worth it? Simple question. Will cost me additional 550-600 bucks to "upgrade".
Was hoping Intel would drop prices on the 6900K post launch of Ryzen but it is clear they don't give a shit about AMD finally catching up to them after 10 years lol.

Anyways, worth the hassle or keep 5930K and wait for next big thing from Intel?

Not worth IMHO, wait for Skylake-X if you want upgrade or even coffee lake, which suposedly will bring 6 cores to mainstream, meaning 8 and 10 cores on HEDT will be cheaper with enough IPC increase to be a noticeable difference as the only upgrade you will receive from the 5930K to the 6900K is about ~15% IPC and the extra multi-thread performance for the extra cores, that doesn't worth 550-600bucks to me.

Broadwell-E also doesn't overclock as well as Haswell-E. While your 5930K hit 4.5 ghz, it will be harder for a 6900K to do so and it also has more cores. I think that's on the high end for 6900k overclocks that I've seen.

Your only going to get 2 more cores, and 2 more threads.. are you using the 6 cores and 12 threads you have now? Virtualization? rendering 3d video? ect ect...

I had a 5930k, got the bug, got a 5960x (while keeping the 5930k). What did I get for it performance wise? Absolutely nothing I've noticed lol.

You might be different, but I know not to make that mistake again.

I had a 5930k, got the bug, got a 5960x (while keeping the 5930k). What did I get for it performance wise? Absolutely nothing I've noticed lol.

You might be different, but I know not to make that mistake again.

wanna get rid of that 5930 to offset the cost :p

wanna get rid of that 5930 to offset the cost :p

Actually tried selling it months ago but the buyer backed out because he had last second jitters buying a second hand chip.

I would sell it but it's a complete system now and I rather sell all the parts of that system before budging.

Back