5900XT died...replaced with 6800LE

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
Is this really an upgrade or a sideways move? XFX is replacing my dead 5900XT with a 6800LE. They said it's an upgrade, but...?

Isn't the LE an 8 pipe card same as 5900XT?

Rob

It's an upgrade because the 6800 still has SM 3.0 support, is an 8*1 design instead of the 5900's 4*2 design, and is overall faster in a lot of games than the 5900.

Whoa...I guess the LE's are hitting retail already? As was stated above...the LE may be the bottom of the barrel of the 6800 line but it's still better than getting another 5900XT.

Where are you finding the 6800LE's? Link? Price? How well do they perform?

There's a review of the 6800LE here .

"The 6800LE seems to be targeted as an OEM product and will not be released through the retail channel."

Is the 6800LE out yet? Where can I buy it?

Also, I think I'm going to cancel my 9800 Pro order and get this. :)

CraftyOtter said:
There's a review of the 6800LE here .

"The 6800LE seems to be targeted as an OEM product and will not be released through the retail channel."

IMO we will see the 6800LE replace the 5900XT eventually. It's at a similar price point and a much better card.

maybe he OCed it and the OC faries came down and crapped on it?

lol or he heard they were replacing 5900xt's with 6800LE's and decided to suicide it :D

Actually I'm not sure.

I bought it and used it a couple days but then got a 9700 pro. I ran the 9700 pro for a while and put this on a shelf. Eventually I sold the 9700 pro and went back to my "backup" card (5900XT). When I put it in, it was locking up int he bios. No OCLocking involved. Quite strange to say the least.

Rob

very cool...I didn't know these existed yet...and I thought they weren't going to be retail...

so_cal_forever said:
Hold on, where did you buy it? As I understood it, these were to be OEM only...

READ THE THREAD MORON. HE GOT IT FROM AN RMA.

the 6800LE probably retails for about $100-150 less than your 5900XT did when it was released. who cares if it's equivalent or better in performance. your warantee is only going to cover you from your original date of purchase still. so if i paid for a $400 video card, and it died before warantee was up, i would want a $400 videocard as replacement.

pureevilmatt said:
the 6800LE probably retails for about $100-150 less than your 5900XT did when it was released. who cares if it's equivalent or better in performance. your warantee is only going to cover you from your original date of purchase still. so if i paid for a $400 video card, and it died before warantee was up, i would want a $400 videocard as replacement.

tru dat...

But i guess they go by.... performance? who knows

Something similar happened to a my friend's dad. he bought a top of the line 16x CD-R/RW drive when they were ~$300, and he also purchased a $30 3 year extended warantee. the drive died in it's second year, and as such, technology had advanced quite a bit since then and the only drives available were 32x and above. The retailer tried to give him a cheapass ricoh drive, which cost about $100, and my friend's dad had a fit. He argued that since he paid for a $300 peice of equipment, it should not be replaced with a $100 one. The store manager agreed with him. He ended up getting a 48x CDR that can "tattoo" the disk in the leftover space where data isn't written. Now I know that retailer warantees are different than OEMs and a bit more losely worded, but it's definitely something to think about.

pureevilmatt said:

This doesn't make sense.

If that were the case, then the company would just find a 5900XT out there somewhere, and he'd be getting shafted. All of the warranties are going to have disclaimers in there about the company being able to exchange for equivalent parts.

pureevilmatt said:

IF you bought a 6800 ultra for 500 bucks right now, then in 2 years sold it, would you expect to get 500 bucks for it? The value of these cards drops quick. They give him a comparable card for the money now, not a card comparable to the money he had.

dimmub said:
READ THE THREAD MORON. HE GOT IT FROM AN RMA.

seems you really like that word, again the official take is that by employing the word moron
is ipso facto proof of sub-intelligence, your rapidly running out of slack
I would highly recommend that you abstain from further flaming or a timeout will quickly overtake you

pureevilmatt said:
Something similar happened to a my friend's dad. he bought a top of the line 16x CD-R/RW drive when they were ~$300, and he also purchased a $30 3 year extended warantee. the drive died in it's second year, and as such, technology had advanced quite a bit since then and the only drives available were 32x and above. The retailer tried to give him a cheapass ricoh drive, which cost about $100, and my friend's dad had a fit. He argued that since he paid for a $300 peice of equipment, it should not be replaced with a $100 one. The store manager agreed with him. He ended up getting a 48x CDR that can "tattoo" the disk in the leftover space where data isn't written. Now I know that retailer warantees are different than OEMs and a bit more losely worded, but it's definitely something to think about.

Those drives were made by yamaha. I thought that was cool when they came out, but couldn't imagine paying the premium for one. :(

Ice Czar said:
your rapidly running out of slack

you're** :p

OH NO :eek::
caught red handed by the spelling Nazi :p

Im such an embarassment to my 4th grade English teacher
but of course she's likely dead by now

Ice Czar said:
OH NO :eek::
caught red handed by the spelling Nazi :p

Im such an embarassment to my 4th grade English teacher
but of course she's likely dead by now

**I'm
h34rt231.gif

**embarrassment
h34rt231.gif

hahaha :p

Anyyyyyway, to try not to derail this thread too much, it seems the rma ended up being an upgrade and a blessing. When a company replaces parts with BETTER parts, it almost makes the process of replacement worthwhile IMO. :)

well the first was on purpose,
I rarely employ apostrophes outside of professional correspondence
(at least for Im, do use it for I'll, and where possessive is indicated)
however the second...

think I will quit before I have Miss Smith spinning like a top in her grave :p

Back