5900XT by eVGA, MSI, or XFX?

_danTheMan

n00b
Which brand performs the best?

Also which brand is most quiet and has the best cooling?

Thanks.

I have an eVGA. It came with NVDVD and a few demos.

It has ramsinks, and so far I have the memory at 820 (from 700). The core won't go any higher than 470 (from 400).

I get a 5638 in 3DM2003.

I think it's pretty quiet. The fan speeds up when in 3D mode.

What are your temps like?

If I got one I would put it in a Dell Dimension 8300. It's a 250W PSU but I've read on the Dell Message Boards that it's actually more that enough to support the 5900XT.

Do you know if it's quiet or just as quiet as an MSI? That's probably a harder question.

But thanks for your reply!

I bought the XFX and it is really nice. I can't compare to other cards, but this card runs at 450/850 easily and the performance is great. It take up an AGP and PCI slot and has RAM sinks as well.

Ive got a BFG 5900nu and I would reccomend either the BFG, ASUS, or XFX cards because they run at a higher default core/mem speeds than the pny"SE" and msi "XT" models. Temps are usually anywhere from 40-52C. my BFG runs relitivley quiet, if you ever do the bios flash mod your temps will also drop around 5-10C at a faster core/clock speed and you can o/c well past what the pre-mod can do.

I have the MSI FX5900XT-VTD128. So far it has been a great card. I can not hear it at all over the other fans and I have checked a few times to make sure the fan is running lol. MSI says with the cooling they have on it that it runs 8C below the cooling NVIDIA says to put on it.

I have had to clocked up to 500/810 now and it ran ok for a while but crashed at the very end of 3DMark03 at that speed. But at 590/800 it ran every thing I tried to run just fine and I was very happy. I keep it clocked down some to stay on the safe side for daily use however (Do the same with my CPU also)

The highest I have got on 3DMark03 so far is 5694 here is the compare link.
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2321812

If I has a better CPU and mother board I am sure this score would be much better. The next thing I upgrade will be the mother board and maybe a XP2500 along with it. I want to check this CPU out with a better mother board first as I do have a factory unlocked XP2400 and should be able to get it nice and high with a good mother board.

Anyway I would recommend the MSI 5900XT to anyone looking for a 5900XT. It seems to run nice and cool and does very well overclocking. Other brands do have better memory on theirs and can run their memory higher however I have read.
But I have been very happy with the MSI so far.

Originally posted by blvdKing
I bought the XFX and it is really nice. I can't compare to other cards, but this card runs at 450/850 easily and the performance is great. It take up an AGP and PCI slot and has RAM sinks as well.

How's the noise level?

Thanks for all the replies so far, guys!

*MSI has VIVO... either you use it or you dont but there's one difference for ya

I have a evga fx5900se...
it rlz very much... i can get 480 on core and 875 (yes.. i can do it...) on memory...

I'm not sure, I can't hear it over the two 80mm case fans running. I will stop them and listen tomorrow and report back.

Originally posted by _danTheMan
How's the noise level?

Thanks for all the replies so far, guys!

my BFG before the bios mod went to 475/865 after the mod stock was 475/950 right now I have it at 510/985 no artifacting, I could take it even higher, but then I start to get annoying artifacts.

What's VIVO do? And nu= non-ultra, right? Cause i've never seen an fx card labelled with nu at the end.

Originally posted by M4d-K10wN
What's VIVO do? And nu= non-ultra, right? Cause i've never seen an fx card labelled with nu at the end.

yea nu is non-ultra, some brand cards like the BFG and the ASUS that I know of arent "se" or "xt" they are just "non-ultra"

Haven't tried any of those cards or even seen them I must admit, they seem to be rare around where I live for some odd reason.

But I got a cheap PNY 5900XT (called XT not SE) as it was the cheapst I could find and with a Zalman heatpipe cooler it was a bit less than what I could sell my FX5800 (which had begun annoying me) for.
WIth the Zalman and a slow 92mm fan beside it I could oc the card to 500/900! Haven't had time to test if it'll go further yet.

Originally posted by M4d-K10wN

VIVO stands for Video in and Video out. That means you can hook a video camera up to it edit it or whatever and then send it back to the camera or TV or whatever. If you have a burner you could even burn a DVD of it.

You can do 500/900 because that PNY 5900SE is really an Asus 5900 Ultra in disguise -- there was a thread about PNY's retail 'SE' cards about a month ago.

Originally posted by onetwo
You can do 500/900 because that PNY 5900SE is really an Asus 5900 Ultra in disguise -- there was a thread about PNY's retail 'SE' cards about a month ago.

The 'Verto'?

I stopped my case fans and the noise was neglligable in 2D mode, I haven't tried 3D mode yet because I just bought Farcry and have been too busy playing it. :)

i just received my xfx 5900XT this morning and i've been benchmarking and overclocking all day today. my card is overclocked to 499core and 903mem (from 390 and 800). i got 51k in aquamark3 and 6617 in 3dmark03. my max overclock was about 509 and 911 but it gave me lower scores in aquamark so i found 499 and 903 the best.

the noise level, i cannot hear it over the rest of my fans. i would go with the xfx, it's cheapest and it overclocks nice. comes with a cool box too.

Originally posted by blvdKing
I stopped my case fans and the noise was neglligable in 2D mode, I haven't tried 3D mode yet because I just bought Farcry and have been too busy playing it. :)

Thanks for reporting back. :)

LancerJay, thanks for your opinions.

Originally posted by onetwo
That's not the case here though. It is not a 5900SE, it says XT everywhere. The box, which is no indication I know, says XT.
Plus the people who got XTs with "real" 5900 cores had a piece of paper in the box saying so (at least that what was said on other forums).
And the heatspreader on the core said 5900XT, that should pretty much prove it as it would say 5900-something-else if it was that.

Hi all. My first post here....

I have a MSI 5900XT but a lemon I suppose as the memory (samsung 2.8ns) starts getting mild tearing in 3dmark03 nature test at only 750. Not much difference even if I add ramsinks.

Cooling wise is pretty ok and quiet.

How about BFG's 5900XT?
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjA0

All though looking at the screen shoots I would say go with a 9600XT instead, Asus makes a nice one with VIVO and Gigabyte's 9600XT is just as good or a 9700Pro is also a great choice. But for a 5900 series I would suggest finding one by BFG since they make awesome cards.

Or you could wait til the end of the month to see how the new cards stack up against the old ones.

Back