5900x, or 6800?

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
I currently run a 3800XT and a blower style 5700XT .. I have enough to get either a 5900x, or a 6800 (Newegg CC) .. What would you guys recommend

(neither are available currently on Newegg .. so a bit moot right this second I suppose)

I currently run a 3800XT and a blower style 5700XT .. I have enough to get either a 5900x, or a 6800 (Newegg CC) .. What would you guys recommend

(neither are available currently on Newegg .. so a bit moot right this second I suppose)
You can buy 5900x but for gaming you will not see much difference.
You can't buy 6800 because you can't find any on the market.

You can buy 5900x but for gaming you will not see much difference.
You can't buy 6800 because you can't find any on the market.
I play a pretty CPU intensive game (Hunt:Showdown) and do a lot of video re-encoding .. so I will benefit with either piece of hardware, more with the GPU with games, but more from CPU with messing with video files and what not .. I'd eventually like to upgrade both .. but .. that won't happen for a bit.

I play a pretty CPU intensive game (Hunt:Showdown) and do a lot of video re-encoding .. so I will benefit with either piece of hardware, more with the GPU with games, but more from CPU with messing with video files and what not .. I'd eventually like to upgrade both .. but .. that won't happen for a bit.
LoL if you do encoding then go for 5900x...
Just for gaming better option is 6800 and then 5900x, but in your case go for the CPU first :)

You would have an easier time getting a 6800 than a 5900x. But if you are gaming the 6800 is a pretty big step up.

Get now whichever available and closer to MSRP and later/when possible the other. If equaly available on MSRP, I'd go for the GPU.
yeah, I'm going to be patient and not entertain any "scalpers" prices for sure .. but man my trigger finger sure is itch'n .. :LOL:

Between those two choices I would get the faster GPU. The 6800 is much faster than the 5700xt. The CPU's aren't going to make as noticable a difference unless you are planning to do productivity and less gaming. If more gaming I would get GPU.

If youre not against nVidia's filthy disgusting corporate immorality, I admit I am, then I recommend the 3080 if you are able to get one before the 6800.

Get the gpu, dead simple.

As everyone else has stated, you'll notice a bigger performance difference with the GPU over the CPU.

Between those two choices I would get the faster GPU. The 6800 is much faster than the 5700xt. The CPU's aren't going to make as noticable a difference unless you are planning to do productivity and less gaming. If more gaming I would get GPU.

If youre not against nVidia's filthy disgusting corporate immorality, I admit I am, then I recommend the 3080 if you are able to get one before the 6800.
I gotta stick to my guns and stay all AMD .. but man .. it's tempting

Reactions: tived
like this
Back