5900x for $549 on Amazon

I've been eyeing that. They also had the Asus Strix B550-E at $249 for a while, but I see that it's out of stock now. Would make a killer combo.

Amazon is getting like EBAY. Sometimes you never know what you're going to get.. I was very sceptical on that price but turned out great..

why? its from AMD just through Amazon and not some weird one off seller.

Amazon is getting like EBAY. Sometimes you never know what you're going to get.. I was very sceptical on that price but turned out great..

yeah no, that only happens if you don't pay any attention whatsoever to this:
look.png

Now admittedly, sometimes you can still get fake stuff with certain products that have exceptionally high forgery rates, like flash memory (especially Samsung and SanDisk microSD cards, but that's not quite all Amazon's fault), and things that come from asian brands with little to no US/EU retail presence. Other than that though, you just have to make sure you're not buying from a third party seller that just popped up yesterday, and chances are good that you'll get what you payed for.

well its really easy to tell. Right under add to cart button it will say if its sold and shipped by amazon or not, really hard to miss lol.

well its really easy to tell. Right under add to cart button it will say if its sold and shipped by amazon or not, really hard to miss lol.
No shit?
I bought a fan from TPI Corporation selling through Amazon and got a Comfort Zone cheap ass fan.. If you know anything about TPI you would know they make heavy duty fans that last years. And I always check who is selling on Amazon, the fan was from TPI corporation. So don't tell me it can't happen.

View attachment 373790

Now admittedly, sometimes you can still get fake stuff with certain products that have exceptionally high forgery rates, like flash memory (especially Samsung and SanDisk microSD cards, but that's not quite all Amazon's fault), and things that come from asian brands with little to no US/EU retail presence. Other than that though, you just have to make sure you're not buying from a third party seller that just popped up yesterday, and chances are good that you'll get what you payed for.
Still happens as my post above explains..

No shit?
I bought a fan from TPI Corporation selling through Amazon and got a Comfort Zone cheap ass fan.. If you know anything about TPI you would know they make heavy duty fans that last years. And I always check who is selling on Amazon, the fan was from TPI corporation. So don't tell me it can't happen.

Still, Sold and shipped by amazon is different then shipped by amazon and sold by TPI. I am not sure why you are confused. I am not picking on you or hating on you, just saying its easy to be careful about it and set expectations right. Amazon will clearly state that if its amazon sold and shipped or if there is third party involved in anyway or form. So amazon didn't really screw you though third party did in that case. Very rare I buy from third party on amazon unless they have 1000s of reviews and in high 90 percentile. Risk is still there but hey amazon still backs it up and refunds without any hesitations so never had any issues with that.

I'm not confused. I do not buy from third parties from Amazon or NewEgg. . TPI made it right by sending a new fan that I ordered, they had no comment on why the mistake happened..

View attachment 373790

This is no longer true--used to be in the past, but now with co-mingled inventories, it can be whatever. A lot of fakes are such good copies you'll only know when it comes time to warranty something and the company keeps it since it is counterfeit and lets you know that's the case--then you're out the money and the goods.

Best thing to do to combat the fakes is only to buy online from retailers that also have a physical presence. Because they can't pull bait and switch stuff and get away with it since they would have a lynch mob outside their stores...

Great price. I bought one on Amazon a few weeks ago, I think it was $650, but they sent me the 5950x by mistake.

That's pretty awsome. I was one of those lucky ps5 digital buyers from walmart. In that batch they ran out of digital and upgraded them to disk versions.

If you do content creation its a great chip. But the 5600x is the better value and with AMD changing socket for next gen I would try to wait, but that's just my 2 cents.

I was waiting a long time for this to hit MSRP again... I've been "stuck" with my 3900X. The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger right now is AMD having talked about one last AM4 refresh using 3D V-Cache. It just seems like if I've already waited this long, then I might as well wait for that. Still very tempting, especially if I can sell the 3900X to recoup some/most of the cost.

I was waiting a long time for this to hit MSRP again... I've been "stuck" with my 3900X. The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger right now is AMD having talked about one last AM4 refresh using 3D V-Cache. It just seems like if I've already waited this long, then I might as well wait for that. Still very tempting, especially if I can sell the 3900X to recoup some/most of the cost.
What can your 3900x not do right. Just a legitimate question

View attachment 373790

The only thing shipsfrom/sold by amazon gets you any more is amazon customer support. Inventory is commingled. So if bobs counterfeit chip farm sends in some 5900x CPUs, they basically get dumped in the big bin of 5900x cpus from all the other sellers including amazon, and what comes out is the luck of the draw.

Probably a terrible time to buy a new CPU, but I finally caved. I've been itching for an upgrade for a while, and losing ~8% CPU performance going to Windows 11 pushed me over the edge I guess.
I don't think it's too bad a time. I'm getting the vibe that we're not gonna see Ryzen 6xxx until 2022. They really don't need to push it out any earlier.

I don't think it's too bad a time. I'm getting the vibe that we're not gonna see Ryzen 6xxx until 2022. They really don't need to push it out any earlier.
I agree. Supply is just coming nicely into retail channels for many of the more popular processors, and Intel has shown no real competitive challenge. AMD can kill this until they want to release ddr5 and new chipsets. But they can afford to wait. I don’t think we will see anything major coming out this year.

Yeah and what are the odds of a huge uplift in ipc? We might get more cores cheaper, but I suspect if we are going to get a significant bump it’ll need a new mobo and ddr5. My suspicions are that Ryzen 6xxx will mainly be about less heat, more efficiency, and cache and memory bandwidth.

Even if it is better than that is q2 2022 at best and a new socket. If it needs ddr5 you are looking at mid 2023 until zen4 is in the same price range as a zen 3 system now. And that is assuming the transition to ddr5 is smooth.

Probably a terrible time to buy a new CPU, but I finally caved. I've been itching for an upgrade for a while, and losing ~8% CPU performance going to Windows 11 pushed me over the edge I guess.

What do you think caused it? Spectre/Meltdown mitigation?

This has been available on and off 'manually' from Amazon since Feb so grab while it is GA. Having said that given what is happening to the much hotter 'card' market, I don't think getting these will be hard at all moving forward...

Back