5900X $500 on Amazon

Now thats a badass deal, Thx!

Yup I don't need anything from B&H right now but did buy their gift cards with the PayPal deal instead. I heard you can double-dip the coupon if you have more than one PayPal account and also apply multiple gift cards to one order.

Temping, but I'll hold out for a decent 5800X deal for under $350. I don't see much value in having more than 8 cores until the next platform change at least, when I mostly just game a occasionally use Premier to edit and encode video that I use the GPU for anyways.

Temping, but I'll hold out for a decent 5800X deal for under $350. I don't see much value in having more than 8 cores until the next platform change at least, when I mostly just game a occasionally use Premier to edit and encode video that I use the GPU for anyways.
I'd honestly just pick up a 5600x if I had the requirements you do.

More memory will usually help an application like that versus a cpu upgrade (depending on the original cpu of course).

More memory will usually help an application like that versus a cpu upgrade (depending on the original cpu of course).

I'm on a 2700X still and while I'm sure a 5600X would still be a considerable upgrade for some games, I haven't seen my 2700X really holding me back so far at 3440x1440 @ 120Hz still, but I'd hate to go down in cores too and think 8 is still the sweet spot for upcoming games considering that's what the current gen consoles have. I have 32GBs of RAM at 3200 MHz and have yet to hit near that usage yet in any games or applications that I use.

No, just supply finally catching up with demand. Plus with the video card shortage I think a lot of people are just waiting for a while to build new computers.

No, just supply finally catching up with demand. Plus with the video card shortage I think a lot of people are just waiting for a while to build new computers.
No one wants to get caught buying so close to new cpus being released either. The dreaded buyers remorse!

Not just new CPU, new architecture. So that AM4 board won't work for your Zen4 cpu
The new 5000xt cpus (if they even exist) were more what i was referring to with regards to AMD. IF there is going to be a newer xt series coming (hopefully) to combat Alder Lake. I think people are gun shy buying cpus right now. Especially with most people advising them to try and wait.

I just got 5800x a few months ago. I was running an old 4690k and haven't upgraded since 2014. I def notice a huge difference in games. All the Battlefield, star wars, etc games play buttery smooth even with my old 970gtx but was laggy on my [email protected]. I'm pretty happy with the upgrade now all I need is a new gpu and I should be set for many years!

The new 5000xt cpus (if they even exist) were more what i was referring to with regards to AMD. IF there is going to be a newer xt series coming (hopefully) to combat Alder Lake. I think people are gun shy buying cpus right now. Especially with most people advising them to try and wait.

Yeah, I'm guessing it will be Zen3 chips with the stacked 3d cache on them. A refresh.

I'd hate to go down in cores too and think 8 is still the sweet spot for upcoming games considering that's what the current gen consoles have.
This is an insecurity that after a year still won't go away. Stop looking at core counts on consoles. Current gen consoles don't have anywhere near the 5600x in IPC or max clock speed and that doesn't even take into account typical PBO. The 5600x will trounce consoles for their entire lifespan.

This is an insecurity that after a year still won't go away. Stop looking at core counts on consoles. Current gen consoles don't have anywhere near the 5600x in IPC or max clock speed and that doesn't even take into account typical PBO. The 5600x will trounce consoles for their entire lifespan.

This is a bad assumption about insecurities. Regardless of your stance, some games are already taking advantage of 8+ cores and there will be situations where a Zen 2 8+ core CPU (such as what's in current consoles) can outperform a 6 core Zen 3 CPU. There's not many examples right now (Ghost Recon: Wildlands is one though), but assuredly now that games will be targeting 8 cores like what consoles have, this will become more common over time.

Also, you're changing the subject by comparing desktop CPUs to the console APUs, which I wasn't doing and was simply pointing out that I'd rather have a 5800X over the 5600X for future cases where the extra cores will undoubtedly offer an advantage.

Yeah, they are using the APU, which means a pathetic 8MB L3 cache, shared over 2 CCXes.

A 3600 is about 20% faster per-core, so the 5600X should be almost 50% faster per-core.

I do not need this..... I do not need this..... I do not need this....

Honestly I feel it would be wasted on my game rig w/2700x. And not sure about a $500 upgrade on my plex server from a 3700x, more cores would be good for handbrake but I don't "need" it.

But dammit I sure do want it...

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Yeah, they are using the APU, which means a pathetic 8MB L3 cache, shared over 2 CCXes.

A 3600 is about 20% faster per-core, so the 5600X should be almost 50% faster per-core.
Yup and the console CPU is obviously stuffed into a little box so it has severe clock and power limits. The 5600X destroys the consoles. It's not even close and never will be.

Funny how we all have our own little things. I figured, if the consoles have 8 cores, I wanted 12 "just cause" lol. I wanted the 5900x since release. I already had to mutter to myself last gen, when I had a "lowly" i7 4790k, the consoles at least had crappy Jaguar cores, and I at least had 8 threads with HT 😆

Glad I made the thread since I ended up cancelling my order and getting it from B&H. Though it was $530-75 = 465 for me. About $500 WITH tax so yeah saved an additional almost $35. Good stuff thank you.

Back