$59 Seagate 160GB Refurb @ dumpinggoods.com

vbrtrmn

2[H]4U
SEAGATE 160GB ST3160827AS REFURBISHED
Price : $ 59.00
Shipping 1 drive to 22031: $10.41
Shipping 5 drives to 22031: $21.54
http://www.dumpinggoods.com/dumpinggoods/itemdesc.asp?cartID=10500076-ACCWARE-RUPLL32&ic=DG40570

Reseller ratings are very mixed:
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller_info.pl?seller_id=6143
If you are going to buy one or more, I highly recommend that you run heavy testing on the drive, make sure there are no bad sectors.

In Stock: 75

Stock is limited. Backorders will not be accepted
Part Number : DG40570
Weight : 4.60
Unit of Measure : EACH
Size : 160GB
Brand : SEAGATE
Model : ST3160827AS
Category : HARD DRIVES
Manufacturer : SEAGATE
CONDITION / WARRANTY: REFURBISHED / 7-DAY RETURN
Regular Stock Item: False
Manufacturer Warranty: 0.00

Description
The Barracuda 7200.7 extends the technology delivered by its predecessor, the Barracuda ATA V. Serial ATA is a faster, simpler, more intelligent interface technology designed to replace Parallel ATA as the PC and consumer electronics storage interface standard. Seagate's native Serial ATA technology contains no translator bridges to reduce performance. Serial ATA provides the industry with a clear path to continued storage growth, data integrity and ease of integration. The Barracuda 7200.7 hard drive's durable design resists up to 350 Gs non-operating shock. A number of new design improvements enable the Barracuda to continue Seagate's industry-leading ruggedness. Fewer, smaller and lower-profile PCB components protect against handling damage. The PCB itself is now recessed to reduce the risk of handling damage. A recessed motor housing and connector with protective nub also shield against handling damage. And the drive's chip set is more integrated than ever, with just a single chip dedicated to both read-channel and interface functions. The Barracuda 7200.7 product family also features Seagate's 3D Defense System to protect users' information from common problems. The exclusive 3D Defense System - Drive Defense, Data Defense and Diagnostic Defense - has helped customers by improving long-term reliability and reducing returns due to handling damage.

# Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
# Cache Size: 8 MB
# Maximum Transfer Rate: 150 MBytes/sec
# Access Time: 8.5 ms
# MTBF: 50000 hour(s)
# Interface: SATA (Serial ATA)
# Interface Type: IDE - ATA/EIDE/ATAPI 40 pin Header
# Capacity: 160 GB
# Internal/External: Internal
# Form Factor Width: 3.5 in
# Included Components: Cabling (Interface), Installation Software, Screws

Got a case from them once. It was an aluminum Li Lian look alike. It was wicked cheap and in excellent condition for a "refurb". The only downside? The front panel connectors were dead as far as I could tell the solder points were poped on it. I could have reflowed them but I never bothered for $25 it wasn't a bad deal really. I don't honestly know if I would buy a drive from them though considering their track record and how you can pickup a 200GB new from local stores on sale everyother week anyways.

Same price I paid new for 3 of these at OfficeMax a couple months ago.

Same price for a new hitachi 160 GB drive at Best Buy a couple weeks ago.

No thanks for a refurb.

BB

Zipzoomfly has WD SATA II drives for 5 bucks more than this (after shipping on both drives). This is at best luke warm, IMO.

El Nacho said:
that would be 15 more :shrug:
Even at $15 more, getting a brand new drive is just a safer move. Is a greater chance at hard drive failure, even if you do have meticulous backups, really worth the $15?

Hard drives are the one part I won't buy refurbed under any circumstances. In my IT days, I've come across quite a few failed drives, and almost all of them involved either negligence/damage, refurbed drives, or Maxtor drives.

Doesn't seem to be anything on that site that's a good deal... refurb or not.

El Nacho said:
that would be 15 more :shrug:

Jeez, how many times do I have to say AFTER SHIPPING!

$59.00 for the dumping ground + 10.00 shipping (maybe a bit more) is $69.00

There are no shipping costs from Zipzoomfly and their 3 day shipping is probably faster than dumpingrounds.

Back