5870 stock cooler [H]acked/Mod --pics

NeonGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
"No heatsinks were harmed in the process." !
I got the idea of hacking up the stock cooler on my 5870 and use it for cooling the vrm and memory while adding a setugen or mushashi cooler when i get it next week.
I have a crappy cooler on it right now just for sheets and gigles..
msi afterburner marking hits bout 85c but vrms run like way cooler. when I recieve my new mushashi/setugen..? and put it on will throw up pics with temps..
Enjoy.

IMG_5323.jpg

IMG_5331.jpg

IMG_5334.jpg

IMG_5335.jpg

IMG_5336.jpg

IMG_5339.jpg

IMG_5340.jpg

Last edited:
My 5870 idles in the high 20s and usually is low 60s when gaming on the stock cooler

Is the stock cooler really that bad? :D

Only if you keep the fan speed low. To get adequate cooling for an aggressive OC, you really have to up the fan speed and the noise level as a result. Thank God for closed headphones.

Only if you keep the fan speed low. To get adequate cooling for an aggressive OC, you really have to up the fan speed and the noise level as a result. Thank God for closed headphones.
Yeah. You should hear the 5850 cooler :(

Edit: 5850 heat sink being smaller :)

What happens if the card dies tomorrow ;)

Easy, you will be on here trying to buy another one in the forums, lol

What does it look like with everything put back together though? And how much difference did it make on the temps?

I don't OC, but I don't care about benchmarks. I care more about my vid card lasting though then a 5 fps average improvement.

I have a 2nd cooler i can put back on..will never know the diff.

Last edited:
Do you live in a freezer?

Man I hope your joking. These cards run very cool at idle. Most of the games I play don't put much of a load on this card...so the low 60s is just from playing mw2, not crysis or anything.

I like the mod, but i like to see it all together with some pictures and results. Keep us updated.

Man I hope your joking. These cards run very cool at idle. Most of the games I play don't put much of a load on this card...so the low 60s is just from playing mw2, not crysis or anything.

Yeah, my bad, I was looking at just the top card temps. The bottom one runs much cooler.

I get 52/35c(top/bottom) idle and 85/65c(Top/Bottom) Load...

I don't OC, but I don't care about benchmarks. I care more about my vid card lasting though then a 5 fps average improvement.

lmao.

You shouldn't worry as you don't seem to keep a gfx card long enough for it to matter.

Good luck in bankruptcy court! :p

I cringed at seeing the heat pipes and fins cut up but what else are you gonna do? The 70 us is one piece like that, the 50 comes apart stock.

Back