5870 gray screen crash.

yea i agree.. ive even bumped mine up to 900 and im fine. the only time i grey screened was when i tried going over 900.

i bumped the card to 975 with 1.225 volts and ran the heaven benchmark. it froze and grey screened after about 1 min 30 seconds. temp were stable at 65C so the only reason it grey screened was bcasue it didnt have enough voltage.

i clocked it back to 900 because during the time on the bench mark with the core at 975, there was about 2-3 FPS difference. i didn't think the over clock was worth it just for a number and almost no performance increase..

you'll probably find that increasing the memory speed will net you more performance over increasing the core speed. the 58xx and 59xx are bandwidth starved more so than core speed.

An interesting thing, I did come back after an hour after leaving the computer on, and moving the mouse didn't turn the monitor back on. However, pulling the hdmi connector out of the card, then putting it back in allowed the monitor to detect the card again.

you'll probably find that increasing the memory speed will net you more performance over increasing the core speed. the 58xx and 59xx are bandwidth starved more so than core speed.

i would but my mem is already at 1300 and everyone else who has tried to raise it above 1300 has had performance loss

Just want to chime in with my experience.

I did experience the grey / striped screen issue from time to time. In the end it turned out to be that my 5870 along with the rest of my sytem was pulling too much on my 12v rails. I was having the issue with a 560w silverstone psu (2 x 12v rails at 18A each).

For the last 3+ weeks I have been using the corsair 850W TX (70A 12v rail) and have had zero issues.

Well I have good and bad news.

I RMA'd my card (Radeon HD 5870) back to XFX. In the mean time, I purchased an eVGA GTX 285.

I fully reformatted again after installing my new nVIDIA card. No more grey screen/vertical line/looped audio crashing. That is good news.

Bad news is that now I am getting tons of random BSODs.

So back to researching and I ran into a post on the Corsair forums regarding BSODs and having all DIMM slots populated with memory. Turns out that sometimes there is not enough voltage for the RAM if all DIMM slots are populated (I am running 8GB or 4 x 2GB and I only have 4 DIMM slots). Keep in mind that I do not OC anything. I am running my 1333MHz DDR3 at JEDEC timings of 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5V. Corsair techs kept asking folks to raise their RAM voltage since all their DIMMs were populated. Soooo...I went to the Intel website and read that I can run my RAM at a max of 1.6V considering I have a DP55KG motherboard and i7-860 CPU. I raised the voltage to 1.6V and now I am rock solid stable!!! No more crashes in Hulu, no more crashes in games. Could this have been the poblem all along???? That may be why memtest86+ never found anything! The memory is fine...it was the wrong memory voltage being applied by the motherboard/CPU!

Not sure if this would fix the grey/vertical screen lock issue with the 5870 yet since XFX has it.

Anyone else wanna try this??

Another user in here also had a similiar problem. Its like the card stops you from seeing your bluescreen so ATI is blamed for an issue that isnt related to the card. So far im a week with no crashes after upping my PCH voltage and disabeling the HDMI ATI Audio driver. This is on a new build iwth an i7 @ 4ghz running like a champ. I started getting black screens with some light colored lines when I went to DDR3 2000mhz ram. This took a lot of tweaking and eventually upping my CPU voltage a notch and upping the PCH voltage to 1.08 fixed teh problem.

I just put together a new rig with a Gigabyte P55A-UD3 and a 5870. I had two drives in RAID 0 on the Marvell controller (which turned out to be a mistake from a performance perspective - the Intel controller is much faster), and started getting the random flashing pixels and white/tan screens. I was having the classic case of artifacts when the card dropped into its power saving mode, because if I ran a game in windowed mode in the background, everything was fine.

Furthermore, at the same time, I had periods where the system would appear to lock up, but would then recover after about twenty seconds. Also had a bit of strange issues of forced disk checks on the array during boot-up. After a bit of fiddling around with different drivers (with no change - even the hotfix ones), uninstalling anything and everything that could be remotely causing problems, and considering I may have to RMA the board, I took the drives off the Marvell controller and rebuilt the array on the Intel one. I also disabled the Marvell controller in the bios and set the Tubo mode for USB 3.0/SATA 3.0 from Auto to disabled, forcing them into PCI-express gen 1 mode.

After reinstalling everything (Win 7 64 Bit), the system is rock stable. I have had no problems with random pauses, and am now getting upwards of 220 MB/s on the raid array.

So, is it possible that what we are seeing (at least in some cases) is some sort of device contention on the PCI-express bus with the 5870? In which case, I would be inclined to ascribe it to driver + BIOS level issues (mobo and card), rather than a true hardware fault.

I have not done any overclocking yet. Everything else in the BIOS is standard for the moment while I finish testing.

Since I haven't updated my sig with the new rig, here's the salient specs:

i7-860
4 GB Corsair XMS 3 1600 (2 x 2GB), currently running at CAS 9 1333
Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, BIOS rev 012.011.000.006 (2009/09/14)
Gigabyte P55A-UD3, F4 BIOS
2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB, RAID 0 on Intel Controller
Plextor PX-880SA
Coolermaster Real Power M 520W

Just want to chime in with my experience.

I did experience the grey / striped screen issue from time to time. In the end it turned out to be that my 5870 along with the rest of my sytem was pulling too much on my 12v rails. I was having the issue with a 560w silverstone psu (2 x 12v rails at 18A each).

For the last 3+ weeks I have been using the corsair 850W TX (70A 12v rail) and have had zero issues.

Damn I have pretty much the same experience. I was using a 650 watt PSU and upgraded to Corsair 850HX and was even able to bump the speeds back up. Never had that problem with my 4870X2 and it used more power.

I get random crashes when using my corsair 1000w so...

The most reliable solution I've gotten thus far is using the 9.10 drivers, and running a defrag after.

Wazooty - are these crashes the gray / striped screen ones that others are having?

I'm waiting for the January driver release and if it doesn't fix it, i'm just going to keep RMA'ing mine to ASUS till the problem is fixed. I treid on 3 different comptuers running all different os's (win 7 32/64 and xp 32bit) and all didn't work and Asus is telling me there is nothing wrong with the card and they haven't heard of any issue's with this card. Not sure what the deal is, i've had 4xxx series cards on all of these machines not a single problem at all, they act like it's my hardware, eh hopefully i'll get somewhere 2 months so far and not a usable card.

For what it's worth...

Originally my 5870 was set to all out-of-the-box settings, and was getting the gray screen and/or black screen with stripes crash (especially in Dragon Age: Origins) fairly consistently. (Windows 7 64bit)

On a whim from reading other posts, I enabled ATI Overdrive in CCC and specifically set clock to 850/1200, leaving fan @ auto. I haven't had a crash since then - 4 days now.

For what it's worth...

Originally my 5870 was set to all out-of-the-box settings, and was getting the gray screen and/or black screen with stripes crash (especially in Dragon Age: Origins) fairly consistently. (Windows 7 64bit)

On a whim from reading other posts, I enabled ATI Overdrive in CCC and specifically set clock to 850/1200, leaving fan @ auto. I haven't had a crash since then - 4 days now.

you also running a XFX XXX and kept crashing with stock 875/1300?
i had the same problems.. particularly with settings cranked way up running CODMW2. i'm experimenting with other settings and so far 865/1250 seems stable.

XFX 5870 Running 900/1200 still no issues. What does the crash look like exactly? Any screenshots?

Works for me 2, 865 to GPU and 1250 to memory, but seems as the graphic detailes are most stable and best looking at 850 GPU and 1200 Memory. But with the new experimental clocks there is no gray screen or other collor crash. Wait until next driver and if its not fixed I will keep the card and run it at this clocks. Its only 10Mhz to GPU and 200Mh total in memory im loosing. But i think next driver will fix all issues and we be able to run them at default clocks :)

I'm having the exact same problem as everyone else.
XFX 5870. CAn't run anything without lockups like you.

WTF ATI?

FOUR months after your release of this product and you can't tell us why we spent $400 on your card.

I was so excited to get back into gaming after a several-year hiatus (limited to a work laptop until this build)

I'm beyond disappointed. I'm disgusted. If the 10.x drivers don't fix this BS and give me error-free gaming at stock settings, I'm taking my money back and buying the next-gen nVidia card.

I'd rather have my brand-new rig sit idle w/out a graphics card for a few months than constantly try and play voltage acrobatics to get the thing to do what it should have been able to do out of the friking box.

Specs:
MSI P55 GD-80
i7 860
8GB G-Skill Trident
SeaSonic X-750

Get this problem fixed ATI-- this is disgraceful.

Had my XFX 5870 for about a week and really put it through some stress - OC to 900/1250 (fan on auto) without a single issue.

Tried: Crysis Warhead, Shattered Horizon, Left 4 Dead 2, Mass Effect, Killing Floor, Red Faction Guerrilla, Grand Theft Auto IV

Reading this entire thread... there seems to be nothing consistent about why these cards are failing.

I've had this 5870 (stock) for about 2 weeks now. Probably have had close to 75hours of gameplay on this. I've only ran into the gray screen twice. First time was within hours of installing the card and playing with Crysis. The second time was in NFS Shift after I finished a race. Other than that it does not seem to be easily reproducible but I'm sure it's there. Highly doubtful that it is a hardware issue, most like some sort of driver glitch. I'm sure ATI will address this in CAT 10.1 since a lot of people have such problems.

I upgraded my rig on the 14th of Jan, new mobo, cpu & mem, and i have not had a single stability issue since, i did notice though that the 5850 is more sensative to CPU overclocking than my 8800gt was, as some1 said earlier in this post, try dropping your CPU overclock back a bit and see if that helps.

Check your RAM folks, http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html

It's helped me and a few others out, only last Friday did I find out I'd been running with a bad stick of ram since July - explains all the bad bits in all things downloaded, and a bunch of things I thought were the GPUs problem.

If you had read this whole thread you would know that was brought up many pages back :) Thanks for the info though. Seems to be happening to more and more ppl. Its almost like the ATI card stops you from seeing your bluescreen.

I increased my Vcore setting and haven't GSODed yet...

Had it happen multiple times yesterday though before I increased the Vcore as suggested on another website...

I increased my Vcore setting and haven't GSODed yet...

Had it happen multiple times yesterday though before I increased the Vcore as suggested on another website...

Vcore on GPU? Did you have an OC? If you OC to high without giving enough voltage its a given you will get a grayscreen crash.

Vcore on GPU? Did you have an OC? If you OC to high without giving enough voltage its a given you will get a grayscreen crash.

CPU Vcore. I didn't know it was even a possible "given" on the GSOD regarding OCs and CPU Vcore 'til yesterday...

Still doesn't explain why:

1) you can be doing nothing with your system and have it happen multiple times a day, and then go days/weeks without seeing it again, then multiple times a day again (my system seems to be fine 24/7 during the week most of the time, but GSOD city on the weekend...)

2) it never seems to happen while you are playing a game!?

I only bumped my Vcore up a single notch (looks like some are going several notches on my same mobo when they started where I was at Vcore-wise...), but I'll only bump it up again when/if I see more GSsoD...

I also noticed while monitoring my GPU voltage, memory clock and core clock that when it bumps up GPU usage (between 157/400/875 on the core clock), then memory clock and GPU voltage aren't always in synch with it... I've seen core clock go to 875 without the GPU volt adjusting, and I've seen the core clock jump without the memory clock adjusting (staying at 300 instead of jumping to 1300...)

It didn't seem to cause a problem, but since 90% of the time the three change in sync with one another, it appears to me something's still not right with these power-saving features of these cards...

I also noticed while monitoring my GPU voltage, memory clock and core clock that when it bumps up GPU usage (between 157/400/875 on the core clock), then memory clock and GPU voltage aren't always in synch with it... I've seen core clock go to 875 without the GPU volt adjusting, and I've seen the core clock jump without the memory clock adjusting (staying at 300 instead of jumping to 1300...)

It didn't seem to cause a problem, but since 90% of the time the three change in sync with one another, it appears to me something's still not right with these power-saving features of these cards...

Sounds like your system or clock was not totally stable to begin with. These ATI cards seem to bring out issues that were always there. I have talked to a few already who had to redo their clock settings. Glad ya got it figured out.

Sounds like your system or clock was not totally stable to begin with. These ATI cards seem to bring out issues that were always there. I have talked to a few already who had to redo their clock settings. Glad ya got it figured out.

Never had an issue with it 'til I stuck an ATi card in the machine, though... Rock-solid 24/7 stable AFAIK...

But yeah, I am glad I figured it out... Now I am just curious how much I should tweak the Vcore before I go too far versus far enough... I don't know much about OCing... But CPU-Z still shows 1.312 for my Vcore, though I took it from 1.33 to 1.34 (IIRC)... Some with the same system have 1.36...

Although I found someone with almost the same system (E7300 vs. my e7400) that were doing 1.448 or something??? Even they didn't plan to leave it there very long, though... But that's what they needed to get theirs stable at the same OC as an E7400...

My assumption is to not go over 1.4, or maybe even not 1.36?

Right now 1.33 (or 1.34?) is going stable... I'm not going to touch it 'til I GSOD...

Also, still don't understand why I never had it happen during a game... Although I did have the drivers take a dump on me while playing Alpha Prime, come to think of it... I think I'll load that back up when I get home and play the same part of the game that consistently caused issues and see if they happen again...

Right now 1.33 (or 1.34?) is going stable... I'm not going to touch it 'til I GSOD...

Hmmm, CPU Vcore may be on to something...

Bumping it from 1.33750 up to 1.35625 (three bumps) I've now gone from GSOD to being able to see the BSOD... Never would have thought I'd say that was an improvement!

I've now bumped it to 1.36250...

Never had an issue with it 'til I stuck an ATi card in the machine, though... Rock-solid 24/7 stable AFAIK...

But yeah, I am glad I figured it out... Now I am just curious how much I should tweak the Vcore before I go too far versus far enough... I don't know much about OCing... But CPU-Z still shows 1.312 for my Vcore, though I took it from 1.33 to 1.34 (IIRC)... Some with the same system have 1.36...

Although I found someone with almost the same system (E7300 vs. my e7400) that were doing 1.448 or something??? Even they didn't plan to leave it there very long, though... But that's what they needed to get theirs stable at the same OC as an E7400...

My assumption is to not go over 1.4, or maybe even not 1.36?

Also, still don't understand why I never had it happen during a game... Although I did have the drivers take a dump on me while playing Alpha Prime, come to think of it... I think I'll load that back up when I get home and play the same part of the game that consistently caused issues and see if they happen again...

Keep playing with it. Like I said before to many ppl claiming to be rock solid stable then having to redo their OC settings after installing these ATI cards. Long as your temps are good I don't see a problem in running your Vcore as high as 1.4V. Remember there are many other settings you can use to get a stable OC.. MCH voltage VTT voltage Ram voltage or timings and the list goes on. Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Keep playing with it. Like I said before to many ppl claiming to be rock solid stable then having to redo their OC settings after installing these ATI cards. Long as your temps are good I don't see a problem in running your Vcore as high as 1.4V. Remember there are many other settings you can use to get a stable OC.. MCH voltage VTT voltage Ram voltage or timings and the list goes on. Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

I am no longer getting GSODs, but now I continue to get BSODs... But again, no more GSODs...

But I don't know enough about OCing to know what to fiddle with besides continuing to slowly increase my Vcore to see what happens... I am now at 1.36875, with CPU-Z showing 1.344....

Am I to assume if I completely undid my OC that everything should be fine, besides just being a slower computer? I'm debating that a slower but rock-solid machine may be the preferred way for me to go...

I also just installed 10.1 drivers...

Biggest ATI driver annoyance to date...... Borderlands randomly (and a lot) locking up to a grey screen for around 20 seconds then coming back. Talk about a botched driver(s)...... :mad: P.S. MY RAM IS FINE!

Hi everyone,

I follow this thread because I have the same issue with my XFX 5770 with modern warfware 2. I tried all the tips posted here but no of them worked.... some reduced it but I still got gray screen.

Now I read this article;
http://www.ngohq.com/news/17176-workarounds-for-radeon-hd-5000-series-vertical-stripes-issue.html

they say that bios upgrade work. but where can I get it???

10x

I went back to 9.11 and kept my fan @ 50% while playing and i havent had an issue.... try that?... im waiting on upgrading to these new drivers....

Back