5870 gray screen crash.

This is a fresh Win 7 install with the 5800

Windows Media player crashes started happening from day one? Or after codec installs? Any kind of plugin that could be causing it? What does the event viewer say?

Event Viewer says nothing because they are hard black screen freeze crashes with WMP, so it can't log the event.

I'll give you an example, I was watching a TV show in WMP, then I paused it and went to get something from my dresser, and as I was walking back to my computer, all of a sudden it just went to a black screen and the only way to get my comp back was a hard reboot.

9.10, 9.11

Are 9.12 beta out for Win 7 yet?

Not yet.. soon hopefully.

Also, what PSU are you running? Have you tried clocking your system back to stock to see if makes any difference?

Last edited:
Yeah I would think so. I just gamed for 3 hours.. I still have not had a lockup or gray screen crash yet.

Got this a couple times with my old 5870 although it was defective. Now same thing just happened on my 5970 on windows desktop.. :mad: I just disabled the ATI HDMI thing, so far so good. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

I haven't had a gray screen with my 5870, but I recently bought the LucasArts pack from Steam and JKII: Jedi Outcast is freezing/crashing after about 10 minutes or so of play. I get a message on the desktop about VPU recovery or something. Anyone else have this problem? I'm guessing it's some sort of driver problem?

Sometimes after a freeze or grey/black screen crash, when I reboot and go back into Windows, certain Windows services like networking, or sound, or windows explorer will start crashing, and then my aero interface will go away.

Anyone had that happen? I can't stand these drivers anymore :(

I haven't had a gray screen with my 5870, but I recently bought the LucasArts pack from Steam and JKII: Jedi Outcast is freezing/crashing after about 10 minutes or so of play. I get a message on the desktop about VPU recovery or something. Anyone else have this problem? I'm guessing it's some sort of driver problem?

I have the same problem, see threads:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1473626

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1471798&page=2

Sometimes after a freeze or grey/black screen crash, when I reboot and go back into Windows, certain Windows services like networking, or sound, or windows explorer will start crashing, and then my aero interface will go away.

Anyone had that happen? I can't stand these drivers anymore :(

Windows services issues? I would start with clocking your system down to stock. I know that sucks but try running it at stock speeds and see if your issues go away.

Yeah it'd be very weird for windows service problems to be caused by video drivers. Sounds like your system isn't handling your overclocking very well. Stock speeds for a couple days is a good test.

How come I can pass 50 runs of LinX and 10 hours of Prime95 blend multiple times no problem then? My system was rock solid under Vista with my GTX 285, none of this started happening until I got Win 7 and the 5870.

Also the minute I uninstall the ATI drivers, all my crashing goes away and does not return until I install the ATI drivers again. I let it run with just the Windows default VGA driver installed for a couple days and had ZERO problems. How do you explain that?

My issues arise exclusively when I attach a second, non eyefinity based monitor. I used to get the grey screens when using one monitor, that's gone away and it is as solid and reliable as can be when using one monitor, overclocked to 925/1275. Attach a second monitor and you can expect 3+ Bsods throughout the day, all completely unrelated, overclocked or not.

How come I can pass 50 runs of LinX and 10 hours of Prime95 blend multiple times no problem then? My system was rock solid under Vista with my GTX 285, none of this started happening until I got Win 7 and the 5870.

Also the minute I uninstall the ATI drivers, all my crashing goes away and does not return until I install the ATI drivers again. I let it run with just the Windows default VGA driver installed for a couple days and had ZERO problems. How do you explain that?

zero hardware support and zero use of the video cards power. Some users have already stated when they installed their 5870 they had to down clock the machine. Its such an easy thing to check its worth a shot. No stress program can promise 100% stability if you pass it. Have you ran memtest etc? You have services crashing.. this changes some things. Gamed for 4 hours today... still not a single crash.. clocked 950/1275 now.

My issues arise exclusively when I attach a second, non eyefinity based monitor. I used to get the grey screens when using one monitor, that's gone away and it is as solid and reliable as can be when using one monitor, overclocked to 925/1275. Attach a second monitor and you can expect 3+ Bsods throughout the day, all completely unrelated, overclocked or not.

Try ATI Afterburner and setup the non official overclocking method to force 3d clocks all the time and see if your issues goes away.

Hmm I think the crash I had was due to Powerplay. The DiRT 2 drivers seem to have it disabled. My 5970 stays at stock clocks even on windows desktop with these drivers, at least according to GPU-Z, something that did not happen with the Beta 5 drivers. Explains my high idle temp (68 C).

zero hardware support and zero use of the video cards power. Some users have already stated when they installed their 5870 they had to down clock the machine. Its such an easy thing to check its worth a shot. No stress program can promise 100% stability if you pass it. Have you ran memtest etc? You have services crashing.. this changes some things. Gamed for 4 hours today... still not a single crash.. clocked 950/1275 now.

What do you mean by zero hardware support and zero use of the video cards power? If I return the 5870 and get a GTX 285 and my problems disappear, without changing my CPU overclock, does that mean ATI just doesn't like my system?

What do you mean by zero hardware support and zero use of the video cards power? If I return the 5870 and get a GTX 285 and my problems disappear, without changing my CPU overclock, does that mean ATI just doesn't like my system?

I think what he meant was that you don't get crashes with the windows drivers because the card isn't being fully supported or used in 3D mode. Idling at desktop isn't really a great test of system stability.

That would indicate the card is the cause of my problems then, and not my CPU overclock, correct?

Just because your system doesn't crash at an overclocked speed with one video card, doesn't mean it's immune to a crash with another speed. You're not running the same driver code at all. Just because something runs Prime95 stable doesn't mean it's unstable in other areas. For example, 64-bit versus 32-bit. Virtualization. Driver code.

It's best for you just to test it at stock, and see what happens. How hard is that, tbh?

If I can run my system overclocked and stable with no crashes with an Nvidia card, but not an AMD card. Then the problem is clearly the AMD card.

If I can run my system overclocked and stable with no crashes with an Nvidia card, but not an AMD card. Then the problem is clearly the AMD card.

Well, is it the issue or is it not the issue? You're running at 4GHz, which is the very edge of Nehalem stability. How hard is it to back off the overclock, then come here and tell us that was the issue or not? If your video card runs solidly when EVERYTHING IS IN SPEC, and it doesn't run stably when it's out of spec, why blame the video card? Maybe even up the voltage some. You can troubleshoot the problem or not, or you can come here and complain about it. Just back down the video card - it takes 5 minutes, and see if you still have the issue. If you do, then you're right and I'm wrong. I don't mind being wrong. I'm just trying to help you out man.

Last edited:
Also, you have no problem when you're not running the ATI driver, yes? So it's clearly not the card at fault. You have replaced your video card, and that didn't fix the problem. The fact that hardly anyone else is experiencing your exact issue must mean - your system is at fault.

Also I noticed you changed OS's from Windows Vista to Windows 7. Have you possibly considered that these two operating systems are completely different from a codebase perspective? Windows Media Player in Win7 is substantially different as well.

Welp I returned my 5870 and picked up a GTX 285 tonight, we'll see if the problems go away.

*Crossing Fingers* !

I think what he meant was that you don't get crashes with the windows drivers because the card isn't being fully supported or used in 3D mode. Idling at desktop isn't really a great test of system stability.

Exactly. Do you even get Aero support with the default VGA driver?

Welp I returned my 5870 and picked up a GTX 285 tonight, we'll see if the problems go away.

*Crossing Fingers* !

Wow.. I wouldn't have done that but whatever floats your boat. I can't believe you didn't bother to try it at stock clock just to rule it out. When any component in a system changes stability with your clock can change as well. I would have at least tried stock clock or feed some more voltage to the CPU before returning the card. No way to trouble shoot it now.

*Crossing Fingers* !
No offence buddy, but you did what typical n00b will do. First you got to check PSU amps and if they are less then 40A (dedicated to PCI-E connectors) then your PSU is no good for HD5870 overclocking. Other members are telling you to run CPU on stock speed and the main reason is that it uses juice too (well beyond 100W when overclocked to 4GHz). People are having problems with 2xHD5970 on Gygabyte Odin 1200W PSU.
PS.
PSU Enermax Modu82+ 625W should be enough if it is OK. Also Windows TDR events when playing AVC videos are driver issue that took ridiculously long time to be fixed. Do not use DXVA codecs for now with AVC coded videos, hardware acceleration is broken for them (works, but leads to Windows TDR events).

Last edited:
I was running my current CPU overclock with a GTX 285 on Vista since July with zero problems.

I then switched to a 5870 and ran it for a month under Vista with zero problems using the same CPU overclock. (Using the Cat driver off the CD that came with the card)

Then I switched to Win 7 and retuned my CPU overclock, until I could pass LinX and Prime95 blend consistently over and over under Win 7, since it's more demanding than Vista. I installed the Cat 9.10 WHQL drivers after that and from then on everything went to hell.

So that's why I'm so firm in my belief that it was the ATI drivers that were causing all my woes.

I was running my current CPU overclock with a GTX 285 on Vista since July with zero problems.

I then switched to a 5870 and ran it for a month under Vista with zero problems using the same CPU overclock. (Using the Cat driver off the CD that came with the card)

Then I switched to Win 7 and retuned my CPU overclock, until I could pass LinX and Prime95 blend consistently over and over under Win 7, since it's more demanding than Vista. I installed the Cat 9.10 WHQL drivers after that and from then on everything went to hell.

So that's why I'm so firm in my belief that it was the ATI drivers that were causing all my woes.

What's wild is so many out there are not having this problem we are having. I understand your method of rechecking your overclock after loading Win7 but no stress test out there will guarantee 100% stability after passing it. Returning to stock clock could have easily ruled this all out. The crashing services thing is kinda strange for a video card to be causing. Everything smooth with the GTX285? No more media player crashes?

So far no crashes with the GTX 285

As for the crashing services thing with the video card, I've read numerous reports of people getting Windows Explorer.exe crashes with the ATI drivers, so maybe them crashing services isn't too far off either? Not sure

I forgot to add, some of my services crashes were preceeded by Catalyst center crashes :(

So far no crashes with the GTX 285

As for the crashing services thing with the video card, I've read numerous reports of people getting Windows Explorer.exe crashes with the ATI drivers, so maybe them crashing services isn't too far off either? Not sure

I forgot to add, some of my services crashes were preceeded by Catalyst center crashes :(

Explorer.exe crashing doesn't really surprise me so much as the other services. You probably wont have any issues with that GTX285.

So you are proposing nearly 2 years old video card in it's EOL (not cost effective for Nvidia) over HD5870? What for, explorer.exe is crashing. What about GTX295? It is more relevant in comparison to HD5870.
Some advice to people who had their CPU overclocked : when using new 5 series video cards check your MB Bios settings and increase with 0.1V PCI-E voltage. Sometimes it helps when overclocking related problem occur.

So you are proposing nearly 2 years old video card in it's EOL (not cost effective for Nvidia) over HD5870? What for, explorer.exe is crashing. What about GTX295? It is more relevant in comparison to HD5870.
Some advice to people who had their CPU overclocked : when using new 5 series video cards check your MB Bios settings and increase with 0.1V PCI-E voltage. Sometimes it helps when overclocking related problem occur.

Never heard of increasing the PCI-E voltage, that actually sounds like a good suggestion, I would try it if I still had my 5800 series.

So putting in the Nvidia card didn't stop the crashes, but what it has allowed me to see is what BSODs I'm getting, for whatever reason the 5870 wouldn't show or let me see a BSOD, it would just hard freeze to a black screen instead.

I tried running my system at stock speeds, still getting the crashes.

I apologize for blaming ATI so much throughout this thread.

Last edited:
So putting in the Nvidia card didn't stop the crashes, but what it has allowed me to see is what BSODs I'm getting, for whatever reason the 5870 wouldn't show or let me see a BSOD, it would just hard freeze to a black screen instead.

I tried running my system at stock speeds, still getting the crashes. This is the BSOD I'm getting a lot

"Bug check 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).
Another common cause is the installation of a faulty system service.
Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume."

Which leads me to believe my RAM is bad =/ It's OCZ blade that uses the Elpidia chips, I got it before the big recall I believe.

It's the only thing I can think of! Going to go buy some Corsair from Fry's and see if my BSODs go away

I apologize for blaming ATI so much throughout this thread.

Dude that sucks and you just took that card back! I had a feeling with your crashing services it wasn't video card related. Well atleast you have narrowed down the problem. Can you go get your ATi card back? lol

EDIT: Least you were man enough to own up to your mistake. If not you would have left others thinking their ATI card is their problem as well. Thanks for letting us know. Now lets get your box back running right :)

Back