5870 gray screen crash.

Ok try this ppl:

I got this on my 5850 when I cranked the card to 815/1350. Once I took it back down the grey blue bars stopped occurring. If you bought a card pre-overclocked, take it back down to reference 725/1000. For those with Crossfire - you might need to uninstall the drivers, boot into save mode, run driver sweeper and reinstall the drivers. I replaced a 4850x2 with the 5850 with the 9.11 CCC drivers and Windows 7 went postal. I'm wondering if adding another card confuses the CCC.

I havent had a crash since I disabled the ATI HDMI Audio device in device manager.

Still crash free since disabling ATI HDMI Audio device? I am really tired of these grey,blue,black screen crashes with vertical bars.

I get the same I only sometimes crash on l4d2 @ 950/1300 stock volts 5870.. i raise volt to 1.2v and i dont crash anymore. i do get sometime a a pause in the game , but i think thats the game issue.

Does anyone have a link to the website for AMD GPU Tool? I can't seem to find it lol

I get the crashes at stock clock wtih voltage added.. its not so much a clock issues but possibly power play or the ATI HDMI Audio driver. So far I still have not crashed and I am overclocked to 950/1250 right now. I normally have it at 950/1300 but im taking baby steps just incase im wrong about the clock. I did game for over an hour at 1000/1300 @ 1.27V without issue. For those of you getting this just go into device manager and disable that ATI HDMI Audio device for now. Its simple and you dont need it if your not throwing sound through your HDMI port.

Ok try this ppl:

I got this on my 5850 when I cranked the card to 815/1350. Once I took it back down the grey blue bars stopped occurring. If you bought a card pre-overclocked, take it back down to reference 725/1000. For those with Crossfire - you might need to uninstall the drivers, boot into save mode, run driver sweeper and reinstall the drivers. I replaced a 4850x2 with the 5850 with the 9.11 CCC drivers and Windows 7 went postal. I'm wondering if adding another card confuses the CCC.

1350 is pretty high and probably where your problem was coming in at.. thats real high for a 5850. Try 900/1200 @ 1.16V.. did this do a buddies and his flys.

Copyright how many days have you been crash free since disabling the HDMI Audio in device manager?

Copyright how many days have you been crash free since disabling the HDMI Audio in device manager?

Which driver are you running and how many have you tried? Did it happen with first driver you used? Did you come from an Nvidia card. I am trying to find a pattern here. MSI RC7 drivers did not do this to me.. and then I went crossfire and 9.11 beta drivers.. no problems there either. Then went back to a single card again but different then the first card and I have issues. Even stock clock. Only thing so far that has seemed to help is disabling the HDMI ATI Audio driver.... not 100% sure its fixed though. I notice a sound loop sometimes when it did lock.. which might connect back to the ATI HDMI Audio driver... who knows.

EDIT: Also I opened a ticket with XFX about the problem and they said they have not heard of this at all.... I told him he must not get out much lol... its in guru3d forum also.

This is happening to me on my 4850 and it's pissing me off highly..

My 4850 was doing the same thing. But only after the first crash I couldn't get back into windows and just did a full reinstall. Haven't had a problem after that but I've only had it hooked up to one screen.

My 4850 was doing the same thing. But only after the first crash I couldn't get back into windows and just did a full reinstall. Haven't had a problem after that but I've only had it hooked up to one screen.

Using same driver that gave you a problem?

Which driver are you running and how many have you tried? Did it happen with first driver you used? Did you come from an Nvidia card.

Tried the ones that come with the card off the CD, 9.10, 9.11

Came from a GTX 285, but did a fresh format and install of Windows.

It's weird, I will go for a week without any problems, and then the crashes will start, and they will not go away, even if I reboot. ATI Catalyst Center will start failing and crashing along with other services a couple minutes after a reboot.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers is the only way to make it go away. I have not tried a complete power down and then power on. Could it be that it won't go away even after a reboot because the video RAM corrupts itself and won't flush unless I do a power down and power on?

Tried the ones that come with the card off the CD, 9.10, 9.11

Came from a GTX 285, but did a fresh format and install of Windows.

It's weird, I will go for a week without any problems, and then the crashes will start, and they will not go away, even if I reboot. ATI Catalyst Center will start failing and crashing along with other services a couple minutes after a reboot.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers is the only way to make it go away. I have not tried a complete power down and then power on. Could it be that it won't go away even after a reboot because the video RAM corrupts itself and won't flush unless I do a power down and power on?

possible... how stable was your machine prior to the 5870? I had a GTX280 and was 100% stable with my system and changed nothing but the card. If you go for a week sometimes wihtout crashes maybe I'm not out of the woods yet on this issue.

EDIT: Sometimes I would get little corruptions on desktop.. like when I right click to go create a new folder or something... that menu box would look funky.... reboot would fix it.

ok i would grey screen some times on l4d2 demo but
l4d and ut and other games always played fine..
5870 950/1300 stock v..
i used after burner to up volt to 1.2v 950/1300 and no grey screens ever..seems like it might be a voltage or heat issues. so now I have no problems

by the way i get 1000/1300 @ 1.28v..solid

ok i would grey screen some times on l4d2 demo but
l4d and ut and other games always played fine..
5870 950/1300 stock v..
i used after burner to up volt to 1.2v 950/1300 and no grey screens ever..seems like it might be a voltage or heat issues. so now I have no problems

by the way i get 1000/1300 @ 1.28v..solid

Your issue was different then ours. I was getting it in all my games. I gamed for over an hour at 1000/1300 1.274V recently with no problems. Still waiting for the issue to return. I also got it at stock clock before I disabled the ATI Audio device. I hope this works for others as well.

Who would have thought this would have fixed any lingering issue? I would get this upon occasion if I didn't use the GPU Clock trick. It was annoying as hell. So what I would have to do is, before gaming, use GPU Clock to force my clock speeds to 850 core; then after gaming use it to restore clocks before attempting to do any video.

Now with HDMI disabled I don't have to do squat. Thanks for the tip guys.

Who would have thought this would have fixed any lingering issue? I would get this upon occasion if I didn't use the GPU Clock trick. It was annoying as hell. So what I would have to do is, before gaming, use GPU Clock to force my clock speeds to 850 core; then after gaming use it to restore clocks before attempting to do any video.

Now with HDMI disabled I don't have to do squat. Thanks for the tip guys.

Glad to hear it. No crash for me yet either.

I tested my Core i5 with a GTX 260 I have from my other rig....... and my HD 5870. Here is something I found....

- Core 216 runs all games perfectly at 3.8 GHZ OC
No hitches whatsoever.

- HD5870 with same overclock crashes in games and video.
Scaled down to 3.5 it runs stable. I turned off HDMI audio on the card to see if it would help stop the driver crash at 3.8..... didnt stop it. Oh well. The video card still thrashes games at 3.5ghz on the i5 860. (although I wish I could push it higher without that grey screen of death + sound loop)

Hopefully a new driver will allow me to pair it up with higher clocks on my cpu.

I tested my Core i5 with a GTX 260 I have from my other rig....... and my HD 5870. Here is something I found....

No hitches whatsoever.

Scaled down to 3.5 it runs stable. I turned off HDMI audio on the card to see if it would help stop the driver crash at 3.8..... didnt stop it. Oh well. The video card still thrashes games at 3.5ghz on the i5 860. (although I wish I could push it higher without that grey screen of death + sound loop)

Hopefully a new driver will allow me to pair it up with higher clocks on my cpu.

thats odd because i havent had any issues with my 5870 and an i5 at 4ghz

No hitches whatsoever.

Could the 5870 be working the CPU harder?

I think perhaps his issue is different than ours

I did 50 passes of LinX and 10 hours of Prime95 Blend these past couple of days just to make sure it wasn't my OC, passed them both fine :)

Just crashed when watching a video in WMP, so the disabling HDMI audio didn't fix it :(

Guess I'll try forcing the clocks next

It's most likely the switching back and forth between 2D and 3D clocks with powerplay. Or the ATI HDMI audio device

Try using afterburner and enable the unofficial overclocking method.. then setup your own 2d and 3d profile with maybe higher voltages..

FYI... I have hours and hours of game time in and still have not had a crash. ATI Audio device was my issue apparently.

I've had one WMP crash so far since disabling ATI Audio Device, no game crashes

Hello my english is no good, sorry.
I have xfx 4890.
When I overclock core from 850 MHz to 895 everything is k.
Except high temperature.
About 100 C in Crysis all max, is this bad?

When I go from 895 to 900 MHz suddenly gray screen and I have to hard-reboot.
Always, even if case is open and big fan is blowing on card.

How can I do something. I want to clock more.

Hello my english is no good, sorry.
I have xfx 4890.
When I overclock core from 850 MHz to 895 everything is k.
Except high temperature.
About 100 C in Crysis all max, is this bad?

When I go from 895 to 900 MHz suddenly gray screen and I have to hard-reboot.
Always, even if case is open and big fan is blowing on card.

How can I do something. I want to clock more.

Not familiar with the 4890 and if you have the option to push your core voltage higher but that might help. Your temps need to be cooler... 100C is way to hot to overclock a card high and have it stay stable. Keep it under 80C if possible. Blowing fans on teh card wont help much. Use MSI Afterburner and build your self a fan curve that keeps it cooler.

Not familiar with the 4890 and if you have the option to push your core voltage higher but that might help. Your temps need to be cooler... 100C is way to hot to overclock a card high and have it stay stable. Keep it under 80C if possible. Blowing fans on teh card wont help much. Use MSI Afterburner and build your self a fan curve that keeps it cooler.

I was not able to change the voltage in Afterburner. The slider was grayed-out.
Is there any other way?

Even with GPU-fan on 100% I get high temp, above 80 C in load.

Got some pretty bad black screen crashes, while WMP was paused lol, not playing, paused!

Thinking about returning this 5800 series and just getting a GTX 285 until fermi comes out. This is pretty damn horrible.

Do you have the latest bios for your mobo? I would rule out everything possible. I was ready to go back to Nvidia also. Have you done a fresh install? I would hang on until the 9.12 driver is released and do a format/fresh install. Don't install any extra codecs until you can confirm its either crashing or not crashing then move on from there. Does it crash with other players? Winamp etc?

@redpriest: I know it's not my overclock, because in the past couple days I did a 50 pass run of LinX and 10 hours of Prime95 blend just to make sure, passed both fine.
Also I know it's the drivers because the minute I uninstall the drivers, all the crashing and other problems disappear.

@Copyright: I have the latest bios, well actually EVGA released a new one last night I just checked. No other players like Winamp will crash it. Sometimes I was getting the vertical lines crashing in games too, but that hasn't happened for awhile now. The crashes just happen in WMP now.

You didn't have any media player crashes before this card? Are you on an old installation or was it fresh when you got the card? Strange it only crashes in media player.. I would just use another player lol.

Back