5870 for 150 shipped

Well, shit. Would have been tempting if I hadn't sold my 5870 a couple months back, for some Crossfire action.

What happened to the bitcoin craze? These things were selling for 400 just a few months ago.

Everyone woke up and realized it was a scam. Bitcoins that is.

I didn't know scams paid out. I am still mining at profit, not to mention heating a portion of my home with 5830s. If it completely fails, then i doubt ill have any trouble getting $90 each i paid for the 5830s.

decent deal if you are only looking for a single card, still faster than a 6870 and only slightly below a 6950.

Can't speak to the seller but I got my 5870 off of ebay for $150 shipped and it has been the best value investment I've made in my system. Definitely priced below ebay market value.

at that price I won't try to talk anyone out of one or even two 5870's

Is it me, or the pic used for the product a 5770?

hishd57702.jpg

Last edited:
Question is, are they actually selling the reference card (pictured) or if it's just a generic picture they threw up.

If it is a reference, really good deal if someone is looking to watercool.

damn. seems like a pretty sweet deal, would top off my budget rig nicely. hmm, break out the wallet again, or go for a 6 series?

Can someone comment on how loud/hot these 5870 card get under load, no oc? I have a stock 4870 right now and to keep that thing less than toasty the fan needs to be at 55%+, and the noise gets tiring after more than 20 mins.

Thanks.

I went from a 4870 to a 5870, and I saw temperatures and noise drop a good bit. With pretty warm ambient temperature I get around 45-50C idle and around 75C in a demanding game. The fan isn't spinning nearly as fast as the 4870 at these temperatures, though.

I wonder why this was pulled from Slickdeals? I got the deal alert, but the thread is deleted.

Damn, shipping out of US seems to be a chore for them & worried about returns, so... gonna have to look for another 5870 / 5970 deal... too bad. Until then I'll keep CF with my 5830.

FYI, the original 5870 is a relatively quiet card. At full load stock, I remember my fan going up to a max of 35% (pretty quiet) and +/- 75C. I put a custom fan profile which puts the fan at 55% & 72C under full load at 1ghz OC, it's noticable at 55%, but the speed bump is very nice. (6970 territory :) )

Original model, all air is expelled out of the case, and it does move a LOT a air.

I went ahead and bit, my 4850 is just too damn slow these days running BF3 and Skyrim. Skyrim is very playable but it would be nice having it butter smooth. BF3 though, I haven't had a real gaming session on it yet, I just hate playing shooters where the frames dip really low.

Let's see where this goes, hopefully it's a reference but I doubt it. In for one to go with my Reference XFX 5870.

I am really tempted to get get two for my other rig. It is a great price.

I'm in for one, the price is good for the performance. You can in fact find a lot of these going for around 150-200 dollar range on ebay --- except used most of the time. I guess a big draw here would be that it's new, maybe a reference card (unless the pics lie), and you get a 2 yr warranty.

I'm in for one, the price is good for the performance. You can in fact find a lot of these going for around 150-200 dollar range on ebay --- except used most of the time. I guess a big draw here would be that it's new, maybe a reference card (unless the pics lie), and you get a 2 yr warranty.

It does not have a 2 year warranty.:(

Is it me, or the pic used for the product a 5770?

hishd57702.jpg
YEp, those are 5770's. Too short to be 5870's.
Hmm will this work in CF with a non reference card?
Yes it'll work just fine.
Is it worth going from a 4890 + 4870 1GB crossfire setup?
The only difference you will see is DX11. Performance wise, it's like a sidestep. I ran 2 4870's and there's not a whole helluva lot of difference, except DX11 on the 5870. As a matter of fact, on some games the 2 4870's actually beat the 5870 out.
Can someone comment on how loud/hot these 5870 card get under load, no oc? I have a stock 4870 right now and to keep that thing less than toasty the fan needs to be at 55%+, and the noise gets tiring after more than 20 mins.

Thanks.
The reference coolers can get pretty loud. However, most of the time the thermal paste that they use is really thick and there's usually too much of it applied. I've found that I can lower temps by quite a bit on reference cards by simply putting the right amount on of slightly thinner paste.
Just by swapping out the TIM on my 4870's I lowered their operating temps by 13C. No joke.
It does not have a 2 year warranty.:(
Really?:confused: :eek: They advertise it as such.

I think I'm going to grab one, I sent them an email and asked them to verify whats included with it, and the warranty it has.

Edit: I went ahead and bit, it's at least covered by the manufacturers warranty for a while and I've been wanting another 5870 for a while.

1/8/12 - Edit2: I got one from these guys but it ended up being DOA. Setting up the RMA seemed pretty normal and I sent it back to them around a week after I got the card.

Current day, two months later, I still haven't seen my refund. My tracking number was ripped on purchase and didn't show all of the last 4 numbers and they have claimed they didn't receive the RMA which had my RMA # written on the outside of my box in large font in black permanent marker so It would have been obvious and I would have been out a refund minus the next part.

I noticed that all the things I've sent out in the last several months have been in numerical order with the tracking numbers on the last four digits the last few months so I found a website that generates numbers in order and ended up generating 200+ sets of 4 numbers in order and trying all of them until I finally found it. I've notified PayPal of their practices and I thought I would notify all of you as well. Watch out with these people, it doesn't seem like they are very trust worthy, also these cards they have listed are mostly repaired cards and are not new as their website suggests according to another thread I found searching Google about this whole mess. They also have quite a few bad ratings laying around if you Google them.

Anyways, I just wanted to notify everyone this may be a buy at your own risk purchase and these people will try to screw you if they can.

Last edited:
Back