5870 Crossfire and Eyefinity

gigasmack

Gawd
The reason why the Radeon HD 5970 supports Eyefinity now is because it was easier to get working first. The onboard PLX PCIe chip on the video card gives AMD a known set of PCI Express lanes to work with, and knowing that the configuration will never change they were able to get Eyefinity working with this configuration first. A future driver down the road (not Catalyst 9.12, so think 2010 for support) will enable CrossFire on Eyefinity for all other configurations.

Wow, this completely sucks. My second 5870 is basically a $400 paper weight for at least the next two months. :(

In hind sight, I suppose I should have waited before buying two 5870's and three Dell monitors for Eyefinity.

They've always been upfront about eyefinity not being supported initially in crossfire.

Do you feel that you were deceived in some way and lead to believe it would be supported soon after you bought your cards?

Or did you buy the cards knowing full well their limitations in regards to Crossfire and Eyefinity, but are complaining anyway?

its what i always tell people when the query about going multi gpu: don't do unless you can afford to be disappointed.

No, I don't feel deceived by ATI, I know that they were upfront with the Crossfire and Eyefinity limitations in the drivers. I'm just trying to vent some frustration over the "Soon" timeline slipping farther and farther back.

its what i always tell people when the query about going multi gpu: don't do unless you can afford to be disappointed.

:rolleyes:

Eyefinity not working is probably one of the only real limitations right now with Crossfire, and as I said before they have absolutely been upfront about that.

I'm curious what other fictional situations you are imagining where someone would go with a multi-GPU setup and be disappointed? That is assuming, of course, that their expectations weren't simply unrealistic in the first place (some people seem to expect 100% scaling in 100% of games).

Consider that a 4870x2 is almost exactly on-par with a 5870 and 4890's in crossfire are still faster than a single 5870. Yeah, I bet all those guys are "disappointed" lol :rolleyes:

whoa, where's all the hate coming from. there are often a few bumps in the road when adopting a multi gpu setup, such as immature drivers. buying two 5870's and three 24's at launch and not having it work right away, hence the 'disappointed' part of the equation. take a chill pill.

Makes me glad I am waiting to hear more about those Samsung thin bezel monitors.

It was well documented that eyefinity didn't yet take advantage of crossfire, and that and there was no expected time for the fix, what exactly is the problem here? You bought a card you cannot use yet and you can't use it yet....

It was well documented that eyefinity didn't yet take advantage of crossfire, and that and there was no expected time for the fix, what exactly is the problem here? You bought a card you cannot use yet and you can't use it yet....

I realize that a specific time was never promised by ATI, but a rep did say that it's top priority and was stated that it should be available "soon". Maybe I'm just inpatient, but when I read soon, I was anticipating something quicker than three months.

I would not be surprised if you wake up one morning in the next few weeks and poof "beta" Crossfire Eyefinity drivers are ready...ahem ahem ahem...Just saying... :eek:

Plus results of a 5970 vs. Crossfire 5870's show that the 5870s have a leg up...Don't give up just yet...hang in there

Last edited:
No, I don't feel deceived by ATI, I know that they were upfront with the Crossfire and Eyefinity limitations in the drivers. I'm just trying to vent some frustration over the "Soon" timeline slipping farther and farther back.

If you want Eyefinity + Crossfire then just sell your 5870s and buy a 5970. 5870s are really easy to sell right now because everybody wants one and the stock is super limited.

Back