5850s in XFire are too crashy. Where do I go from here?

RevMen

Limp Gawd
I got a pair of XFX 5850 Black Editions when BFBC2 came out and I use them to run 3 Dell 2007FPs for 4800x1200 resolution. They work great for some games but for others they get very crashy, unless I disable crossfire.

So I'm wondering if there's a single card solution that'll give me the same or better performance but without relying on crossfire. Ideally, selling my 5850s would get me close to the money I'd need... I don't think a $500 card is in my future.

Ideas?

As much as I hate NVIDIA products this time around, the GTX670 is probably your best bet if you need the performance. I dont think you can quite sell those 5850s for $200 each though.

IIRC, they are worth about $150 only because of bitcoin miners, and GPU mining is going the way of the dinosaur in about a year or two, so you should probably get rid of them fast if you still want to.

I dropped my 5850 crossfire for a single 7950, mostly because of driver issues. When crossfire worked properly, I'm not sure it was much of an upgrade.

I run only 1600p so you might need something a bit better.

The GTX 670 is everyone's go-to bet right now, but at $400.
You could consider a GTX 570 maybe, i've seen some for $250 lately.

Thanks folks. It looks like a single GTX670 is about the equal to a pair of 5850s. A GTX670 does leave me room for SLI later in life, so that might be the way to go.

The Radeon HD5XXX series never had great scaling. Ditch them for a GTX 670 and you should expect more all around performance than your current setup than you think.

Back