5850 weird stock clocks

SixtyWattMan

Supreme [H]ardness
So I just got my 5850 and I uninstall Cat 9.12 and install 10.1 and install my 5850. I load up GPU and CCC and it says I'm using Cat 9.11 and my GPU clocks are 850/1200. If I'm not mistaken stock clocks for a 5850 are 725/100 right? I'm gonna reinstall the drivers and see what happens.

2qvrtwn.png

On a good note here are some before and after Heaven benchies. Rig in sig, old card was a 4870 512mb.

4870 Max settings 1080p 8xAA 16xAF DX10
FPS: 7.7
Scores: 194

5850 Max settings 1080p 8xAA 16xAF DX11 with Tessalation
FPS: 22.9
Scores: 576

Well now it says I have Cat 10.1 but I'm still rather curious as to why my stock clocks would be 850/1200. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Very interesting. Looks like your 5850 has a 5870 BIOS.

Can you check the voltage with MSI Afterburner? If the default is beyond 1.07v (default for 5850, not sure about the 5870 but 100% sure the 5870 has a notably higher core voltage), you can pretty much be sure that's a 5870 BIOS on there.

Yeah card is new and seems stable. Should I flash BIOS or attempt to contact ASUS first? GPU-Z has the voltage going back and forth between 1.0625-1.1625.

Yeah it's 100% 5870 with those voltages.

I would let ASUS know in case anything happens to the card and you send it back and they deny you warranty for their own misflashing.

Yeah card is new and seems stable. Should I flash BIOS or attempt to contact ASUS first? GPU-Z has the voltage going back and forth between 1.0625-1.1625.

Google showed me a few other forum post's with the same thing going on..unless that's you posting at other forums..:)

if it were me, I would probably let them know , they may deny you an RMA otherwise.

Google showed me a few other forum post's with the same thing going on..unless that's you posting at other forums..:)

if it were me, I would probably let them know , they may deny you an RMA otherwise.

lol Nope this is the only forum I post on. I'll try to contact them.

Everyone on those forums are just assuming they are getting used cards. This seems to occur too much for it to be people getting returning cards with flashed BIOS, all ASUS cards too. I e-mailed them but I'll call them tomorrow. Flashing the BIOS back to 5850 bios should be painless I just don't want my warranty voided if it fucks up. Thanks for the help Crosshairs, on a good note this card is unbelievably fast even compared to my 4870.

Edit: Kinda makes you wonder how many people are getting cards with the wrong BIOS and may have their warranties revoked because of it. One of my friends ordered the same 5850 as me from NewEgg also so I'll see if his has the same BIOS.

Last edited:
An update on this, I called ASUS support who picked up the phone in less than a minute and spoke perfect English without an accent and told me that flashing my BIOS would not void my warranty. He said I could try it and if I bricked the card to just send it in for repair but I think I'll leave it as is for now and just use the extra voltage and do some overclocking, not that I can't set the voltage manually. Card runs great and is stable. I have to say, ASUS phone support is top notch.

I have some question..

is your card stable ? if it is... why not keeping it :D

Maybe ASUS is planning on releasing some highly overclocked 5850's and some leaked out or they are testing it out on "stock" ones to see if the clocks are stable for consumer use.

I think too much...

So my friend got his ASUS 5850 and it's stock clocks are also 850/1200. Seems like a run of these cards got off the line with the wrong BIOS?

Same here, 850\1200Mhz and 1.1625v 5870 BIOS!

RMA'd the card and waiting for a new one.

NOTE: I ordered from Newegg to

An update on this, I called ASUS support who picked up the phone in less than a minute and spoke perfect English without an accent and told me that flashing my BIOS would not void my warranty. He said I could try it and if I bricked the card to just send it in for repair but I think I'll leave it as is for now and just use the extra voltage and do some overclocking, not that I can't set the voltage manually. Card runs great and is stable. I have to say, ASUS phone support is top notch.

wow.... may have to buy an asus card with support lile that!

Asus has always been good to me too. You could probably bump the voltage down closer to the stock 5850, save a little heat.

LOL and I had to put that BIOS on my 5850 on purpose.The BIOS actually runs the card fine,and no problems since I have had the card.

I've tried flashing it but atiflash just kept telling me can not erase rom. :(

I guess I'll have to send it to Newegg for a replacement :(

So my friend got his ASUS 5850 and it's stock clocks are also 850/1200. Seems like a run of these cards got off the line with the wrong BIOS?

probably an incorrectly configured machine when that batch was made.. but what sucks the most is that now we know the shaders are not bios disabled since it is running a 5870 bios..

My cousin's asus 5850 also came with those stock clocks; I don't see the issue if the card runs stably. He probably will end up RMAing his 5850 anyway, since the HDMI port doesn't seem to fit a cable snugly, even though the cable fits snug in every other HDMI device he has

I've tried flashing it but atiflash just kept telling me can not erase rom. :(

I guess I'll have to send it to Newegg for a replacement :(

Try "atiflash -unlockrom 0" and then flashing before you send it back (if you have one card, otherwise do "atiflash -i" first)

Whats the disadvantage to running a 5850 with a 5870 BIOS?

I am not seeing why this would be an RMA situation...

Especially if ASUS is honoring the warranties anyway

Yeah, if the card is running stable and cool, and the company has said this won't void warranty, then I don't see why people would bother RMA'ing it.

there is a post on newegg under the asus 5850 about this.maybe it was a mistake asus made. i was hoping to get one of theses myself,lol.

Back