5850 really worth waiting for?

busta_cap

Limp Gawd
I am building an 4gb/1066 Athlon II x4 system for sister and wanted to use my existing Zotac 8800GT+ Amp! Edition in it, and upgrade my own PC to a 1gb Radeon 5850 (I also wanted to upgrade my mb/CPU to a Phenom II X4 9xx after the new year). The 5850, as all with a clue know, is chronically out of stock.

How long, realistically, should it be before the supply issues work themselves out and I can get myself a 5850 whenever I want? My gaming year will basically be 'made' by the successful release of Left 4 Dead 2,

well you have til november 17th for L4D2.. so plenty of time for e-tailers to restock..

but as it being worth the wait.. it really depends.. 1. what resolution you play at.. 2. weather you plan to play any dx11 games in the near future.. since the closest non dx11 card in performance to the 5850 would be the GTX 285.. and that cards still priced over 300 dollars.. id say most likely its worth the wait..

I am building an 4gb/1066 Athlon II x4 system for sister and wanted to use my existing Zotac 8800GT+ Amp! Edition in it, and upgrade my own PC to a 1gb Radeon 5850 (I also wanted to upgrade my mb/CPU to a Phenom II X4 9xx after the new year). The 5850, as all with a clue know, is chronically out of stock.

How long, realistically, should it be before the supply issues work themselves out and I can get myself a 5850 whenever I want? My gaming year will basically be 'made' by the successful release of Left 4 Dead 2,

I have seen Tigerdirect have diamond 5850's in.

IF YOU cannot wait at all. You could get a 285 GTX if you wanted. But i mean might as well wait for the 5850. runs coolers, faster, and is DX11 which is the future.

I would personally wait to get a 5850 > 285 GTX.

And no i'm no fanboi for ATI or Nvidia

I would wait. Can't be more than weeks. I'm sure they're working hard to produce enough cards for the xmas shopping season.

The 5850 is DX11 so it's much more future proof than the previous gen, including anything from Nvidia. If you absolutely can not wait, then buy a cheap card like the 4670/50 or something so you can free the 8800 and finish the build for your sister. It's always a good idea to have a spare video card in case you need to RMA your main card later, for example.

Ewiz has a dood deal on a powercolor right now. Check out the hot deals.

like sapphire, as far as warranty. 1yr parts/labor. don't know how the quality of their cards are, never bought one. I don't know if it's worth the wait, either. I don't have my XFX 5850 just yet...it shipped yesterday!

here's a list of other etailers to look at:

newegg
tigerdirect/compusa/circuitcity
zipzoomfly
ncixus
ewiz
mwave

that's all i got for now. the xfx 5850 was $272.50 @ ncixus, where i ordered from. much cheaper than newegg's jacked up prices

The Hot Deals section had the powercolor for around $235AR. I didn't buy it, but I noticed it was there.

I'd wait for the 5850 personally.

Whats the big deal abotu DX11 I am looking around and dont see much but I guess it is just cool to be future proof lol

I feel like everyone is forgetting about being future proof.
I remember when the X800s came out and they were slightly faster at the high end, or on par with the 6800s people cared about SM3.0 SOOO MUCH.
And for good reason, sure it didnt do shit then but a few months later and bam SM3.0 Only games were coming out and or the SM2.0 code had much less eye candy.
It matter people, stop looking at RIGHT NOW and think ahead about 2 months or so. Time goes by faster than you think and new DX11 games will come out.
As for waiting for a Nvidia card...Well from every source I have heard from they say dont bother. Im not saying anything about performance but its going to be a long wait. And even then no one really knows if its going to be faster.

There is far less need to worry about future proofing yourself these days, unless you want to play one of the handful of games that is made to actually push a PC. Whatever plays most games fine now at your chosen resolution will be fine until the next generation of consoles is released, which is rumored to be another two years away. That is when the next big jump in across the board performance requirements will hit, Until then most games aren't going to go out of their way to push quality beyond the DX9 levels that current gen consoles use.

stop looking at RIGHT NOW and think ahead about 2 months or so. Time goes by faster than you think and new DX11 games will come out.
The cards will still be for sale and with improved drivers once more DX11 games are released also.

Whats the big deal abotu DX11 I am looking around and dont see much but I guess it is just cool to be future proof lol

There's not much DX11 games out now, though it is suprisingly much considering that DX11 was officially out this week with windows 7.
These 2 games are currently in DX11:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (its out, but not in english yet).
Battleforge with DX11 patch.

There are 20+ games in developement with dx11 support:

http://www.dvhardware.net/news/amd_dx11_games_oct09.jpg

Here's a DX11 tech video of the game thats bundled with the new ATI cards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9p3PYOX1Vc

DX11 is backwards compatible with DX10 and 10.1, so we might get a scenario where games are in DX9 and DX11 (with less features for DX10 and 10.1 cards), instead of the DX9+DX10 support we have today.

I feel like everyone is forgetting about being future proof.
I remember when the X800s came out and they were slightly faster at the high end, or on par with the 6800s people cared about SM3.0 SOOO MUCH.
And for good reason, sure it didnt do shit then but a few months later and bam SM3.0 Only games were coming out and or the SM2.0 code had much less eye candy.
It matter people, stop looking at RIGHT NOW and think ahead about 2 months or so. Time goes by faster than you think and new DX11 games will come out.

And those (single GPU) 6800 cards weren't worth a shit against the new SM3.0 games that came out. People had to SLI to make their old future proof card play the latest games. "Future Proofing" is impossible, but I do agree you have to look ahead when your buying. Thats why I think the 5770 is a great card for now (similiar performance to a 4870) but not very future proof. By the time games comes out that utilize DX11 it won't have the horsepower to push them in single GPU setup.

So in answer to the OP, yeah, the 5850 is worth waiting for because your going to have a lot longer life with it.

There is really nothing that beats the 5850 price/performance wise at the moment so yes I'd say it's worth it.

There is really nothing that beats the 5850 price/performance wise at the moment so yes I'd say it's worth it.

+ 1

Also, better IQ/smoother gameplay better AA performance and on top of that a lot cooler under load/idle thats clear winner!

I'm just wondering how long its going to be before we start seeing 5800 series price drops, thats what I'm holding out for.

I don't see why they would drop the price. The cards are cheap and have an amazing price/performance. I'm extremely happy with my 5850.

When nVidia releases competing cards, they'll lower prices.

DiRT2 uses DX11 and will be out before Christmas, and Alien vs Predator will be out around January IIRC

DX11 is coming a LOT faster than DX10

And since nothing beats the price/performance of a 5850, I'd just wait - you'll get DX11 + a killer card for the price without having to worry if your card cant use DX11 within a month or two

Not like you can even get a 5850 right now any way. Most places even online are OOS, lol. I presume big restocks in the next month. 4850 actually maintained it's price points for quite some time. It's usually Nvidia cards that don't maintain their price points, remember the 9800gx2 and gtx280?

Have you asked a manager their status on HD5800 stocking?

Why can't I walk into a Best Buy and purchase a 5850?

Not sure but they are on the internet all the time. Since this thread started i have seen them in stock on a few WEB sites. Just checked using Google shopping and didn't see them in stock. My point is you really don't have to wait very long for this video if you take quick action and order them online when they are available.

Online pricing is probably going to be cheaper then buying them at Best Buy anyways.

Ahh, screw it.

I got tired of being strung along by ewiz with their never-materializing Powercolor 5850, so I canceled it and just ordered a Sapphire 5770 from newegg, along with the $570 i5 combo, an additional 4gb of ram, another terabyte of hard drive and a couple of extra case fans.

I'll refit my current machine (3.2ghz Athlon x2 6400+ | 8gb ram | Zotac 8800 GT Amp! Edition | 640gb HD) for my sister and she'll be riding high on the hog compared to that jumped-up abacus she calls a laptop.

Plus, I get a new kickass system. Everybody wins! :D

edit: Did not order a Sapphire 5750, ordered a Sapphire 5770.

Last edited:
Ahh, screw it.

I got tired of being strung along by ewiz with their never-materializing Powercolor 5850, so I canceled it and just ordered a Sapphire 5770 from newegg, along with the $570 i5 combo, an additional 4gb of ram, another terabyte of hard drive and a couple of extra case fans.

I'll refit my current machine (3.2ghz Athlon x2 6400+ | 8gb ram | Zotac 8800 GT Amp! Edition | 640gb HD) for my sister and she'll be riding high on the hog compared to that jumped-up abacus she calls a laptop.

Hey Bra! :D

You might save some money with this deal!!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.275101

Ahh, screw it.

5770 is pretty impressive after looking at the reviews closely, beating a gtx260 at times. That's quite a card. I think most 5850 owners would say, it's worth waiting for. Reason I'd like the 5770 is it would probably run cooler, quieter, and a bit greener.

Yeah, I just got that notification, too. Too bad my order has already shipped, but I think the 5770 will hold me for a while. In six or eight months I can get a 5850 for like $200 and put the 5770 in my son's PC.

And, by the way, way to go Newegg for the blazingly fast shipping of my order. I placed it at 12:56 Pacific time yesterday (almost an hour after their official cutoff time) and tracking numbers for the shipments were waiting in my inbox first thing this morning, stating the departure scan time as 5am.

As (almost) always, the Egg kixass.

Back